1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero day DLC = disrespecting the customer

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by phungus420, May 7, 2010.

1. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

"Not 2010", nothing specific.

2. Grouchey

Grouchey Chieftain

Good lord, is this all true?

-------------------------
    "As you know, many Codexians probably choked on their morning coffee when they discovered that civ 5 was released with a day one DLC; steam was the first to break the news that the Babylon civilization with Nebuchadnezzar and the cradle of civilization: Mesopotamia map pack was only available to buyers that bought the 5 € more expensive deluxe edition.

Many of us, including I, rationalized this as a way of getting more people to buy the pre-release version, and hoped that this wouldn't become a trend. Boy were we wrong.

Jump forwards a couple of of months, and the game also becomes available on D2D. D2D offers the following bonus:
    Quote:
    FREE Premium DLC
    FREE Premium DLC Get the first Double Civilization and Scenario Pack for FREE when available "*Availability currently set to late 2010. Date subject to change."

Quote:
    Double Civilization and Scenario Pack

Uh oh. So you are telling me that not only does the guys that preordered the deluxe edition on steam get shafted, but there is a day one civ-dlc pack?

You can get similar deals on amazon.com. If you order from there you get the cradle of civilization: Asia pack, which....

Wait, I thought it was cradle of civilization: Mesopotamia?

When investigating the matter I found out that there are in fact many cradle of civilization packs, and which you get depends on the retailer. The swedes will get the mediterranen pack. Danes and Norwegians will get the Americas pack. Amazon.com customers will get the Asia pack, etc etc.

Now, some of you probably think that civ 5 is gonna be an epic game anyways, and will be happy to buy the edition of the game that contains all these scenarios anyways. The problem is that no such pack exists.

No, seriously. Even if you fork over 100 $ for the special edition, you will have to fork over more money for day one DLC - I doubt anyone who bought the special edition could resist buying at least the 2 civ pack. And if you want the cradle of civilization scenarios that weren't in your pack?

I don't know. Maybe they sell them as DLC, which will probably make them overpriced. Maybe they will not release them at all, which will make people feel like they are missing something."

3. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

the other civ pack (not babylon) won't be available until at least december.

4. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Actually Direct2Drive says "late 2010" for the 1st DLC pack. To me that's likely to be December, but possibly November.

5. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

If you don't like it, don't buy it?

6. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

If you don't like the thread, don't reply to it ?

See, it's easy :mischief:

7. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

But I like replying to threads. (refer to post count)

8. Grouchey

Grouchey Chieftain

Not sure my personal purchase decision is terribly relevant to this discussion but yes I am not buying. Anyway, I do find it all quite fascinating: who would have thought PT Barnum would show up in turn based strategy games? :lol:

9. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

It's obvious rubbish, but hey - that's humanity for you. Take Duels Of Planeswalkers game for example - you can pay 0.99 to unlock each deck (there's like 13 of them), or you can just play the bloody game, enjoy it thoroughly and in few days time you'll unlock decks for free. Nonsense to pay, right? But there are people who buy it, allegedly to save time and get prepared for ze siriouz gameplay online.:dunno:

Also, for the same price you can unlock "foil" version of the deck, which is the very same deck, only... Shiny. :crazyeye: Yup, there are multi-colour glitters on the cards, and I already have played with people using them (probably thinking that they're uber cool, and not realizing that they've been ripped off).

That's life - human population is so diverse that some folks' choices are guaranteed to leave you gob smacked- some people will buy anything that's available to buy for reasons known only to them.

Whatever DLC is, I can guarantee you that in some time (probably around the next expansion) old DLC's will be rolled-in available to buy cheaply of free with the next expansion. If you want them earlier, well then you'll have to pay stupid money.
    My guess is that around CIV release they already had a lot of work done (or even finished) on Warlords expansion Civ leaders etc. So instead letting everybody wait a year til the next expansion they'll be giving bits of it as DLC. I don't care, I can survive waiting for Babylon when I'll finally get my hands on the game. My goodness how hyped I am...

10. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

In theory, DLC is a great way for the customer to save money, by buying exactly those components he wants to use, while passing on the ones that he wouldn't. For example, I rarely play scenarios. So in theory, if the game was released in a modular fashion, then I could save money by not buying any maps or scenarios, while I'd of course buy the full amount of civs. It also allows to release content in smaller and more specialized batches than before.

In practice, DLC tends to get used to sell very small amounts of additional content for relatively high prices (compared to the price of the total product), which (to me) often looks like a rather sneaky way to milk more money out of the customers.

So, it's a great concept in theory, which currently gets ruined because of the publishers' approach to it.

But anyway, as long as DLC isn't compulsory, you can vote with your wallet and simply don't buy it. Or wait until a "DLC collection" gets released. There's always hope that publishers will learn, if they see that their current approach hurts them more than it helps them. (Bethesda's ridiculous "Horse Armor" DLC for Oblivion being the prime example ... they still try to sell it, but at least they quickly reduced its price.)

11. mrhell

mrhell Chieftain

I think it's disrespectful that they'd release a civ on a tuesday. How many of us are going to miss how much work over this? It should've been released on a friday. Unless this is tied to a govt. stimulus package to open up a few hundred thousand jobs.

12. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

At least it's not as bad as Railworks...

there were 2 pages... this is the first half of page 1

13. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

:rolleyes:
    Omg I thought you were joking but I've checked and it's really the case! :eek:

My goodness, Bethe$da has no shame :vomit:

Morrowind was the last game I bought from them, and I'll never use that poor excuse of a developer, even if they would buy rights for Civ9 or something :lol:

EDIT

@Cardgame
    Exactly the same case for Duels Of The Planeswalkers. Just look at that mess...:rolleyes: