ZF1 - Zed's Training Day Game

Originally posted by Padma
You've got a point, ChrTh. :)

BTW, we are NOT at war with Japan or Babylon at this point. We have a current Alliance with Babylon against the English, but I believe it is over 20 turns old, and can be cancelled at our convenience.

It should be over 20, as I did it during my turn.
I'll try to renew it with him throwing in half of his cities :D
If not :hammer:

If we'd have invaded the Zulus, we'd have caravels, sure. We'd also still have all of England and Persia to deal with and our troops would all be on the other continent. :)

Originally posted by Zed-F
If we'd have invaded the Zulus, we'd have caravels, sure. We'd also still have all of England and Persia to deal with and our troops would all be on the other continent. :)

Details, details :p

Zed-F, do you have any other advice, etc., before I play my turn?

Not really. I don't really see the Babs as being significantly more challenging to take on than Persia. You should have enough forces available to basically hit everything at once, then rush temples and get our tile count up over the limit. Go get 'em tiger!

Turn 0 -- 1150 AD
Can ChrTh win it this turn...

I cancel Peace Treaty with Ham-bone
I rush Galley in Tonawanda
I hurry Temple in Leeds
I hurry Temple in Bactra
I hurry 2 Riders in the NW...

Well, so much for the Babylon plan...all of our troops are in the Jungle in the South! Oh well, I'll try anyway :)
I wake an Elite Rider and move him into Babylon's borders.

Turn 1 -- 1160 AD
Troop movement
War begins with Babylon...we lose first battle though
I clear out most of the Entertainers

Turn 2 -- 1170 AD
Leicester falls! (British city on island)
We capture Samarra!
Ashur falls! (Tough battle too)
Lagash is auto-razed

Turn 3 -- 1180 AD
Kyoto falls!

Turn 4 -- 1190 AD
War-weariness starts to kick in
Exeter falls
Uruk falls
Nippur falls

Turn 5 -- 1200 AD
Sapporo falls--we've destroyed the Japanese!

Turn 6 -- 1210 AD
We've completed Wall Street!
We capture Bristol...and destroyed the English!
Akkad falls!

Turn 7 -- 1220 AD
We Love the Chairman Day all over!
I'm able to fire the Entertainers and drop Lux to 0%

Turn 8 -- 1230 AD
Shaka demands Gunpowder! :lol:
The Zulu declare War on us! :rolleyes:
Babylon falls! We have the Sistine Chapel!

A spearman in Kish kills our Army (granted, they were in the yellow)
Eridu is captured
New Beijing is built

Turn 9 -- 1240 AD
Even more We Love the Chairman Days!

After Kyoto expands due to Temple...

All right!!! Not too shabby. Now I have an idea how to prosecute a war in this game. Thanks very much to Zed for his fine training.

You're welcome. :)

Although, really, I don't think I gave you too much advice about how to prosecute a war, at least not after the Iro conquest. This time around it was more about building up until we had an overwhelming advantage, and going from there; you don't necessarily need a lot of skill at warfare if you follow that path to victory. Once you have a substantial production advantage, it's just a matter of how long the mop-up phase takes.

I consider an effective buildup a vital component of military conquest.

This was a great game, guys: congrats and thanks all around. We were the only original TD game to keep its cast and work through to victory (heck, we were the only one to do either)...so :goodjob:

Although I wish I could've eliminated Babylon first... ;)

[dance] [dance] [dance] [dance]

GR, effective warmongering can be done with a minimum of buildup, though certainly the less buildup the more risk. Arathorn would be a good example of someone who can effectively warmonger without a lot of buildup.

In fact, we could have won this game earlier if we had engaged in ancient warfare with the Iros to get our FP site online more quickly. However, it better suits my style of play to get a big advantage before I go to war, rather than getting a big advantage BY going to war. The main theme of this game is balancing military needs with economic needs. Arathorn's balancing point is closer to the military side, while mine is closer to the infrastructure side; going too far to either extreme can get you in trouble, but there is a broad range of viable strategies between the two.

So, an effective buildup is vital, but "effective" can have a broad definition in this case. It can be the minimum you need to keep enough troops coming out to capture the territory you have your eyes on (Arathorn), and accepting the risk that you might get unlucky and suffer a reverse, or it can be enough to give you an overwhelming advantage so that when you do get around to the point of warmongering, the risk is negligible.

True Zed, there can be a large range between what two people consider effective buildup.

Effective buildup is enough to do the job in the right amount of time.

Too little and, even if you win, it can take so long that you've fallent hopelessly behind. Too much and it can start to overwhelm your ability to support it or war starts on somebody else's terms or whatever. Effective balance is the key.

Well-coached and well-executed. Kudos to the team.

Arathorn

Top Bottom