1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ZombieNes

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Nuka-sama, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Toteone

Toteone Deity

I gotta quit, but keep him on as an NPC, please? Run and warn people, build barricades and shoot and then hack zombies till he drops.

2. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

"Do you think zombies avoid garlic like vampires do?" Rebecca, holding up a handful of pasty white cloves.

Ace sniffed at the air and continued his nap on the overturned sofa.

"Yeah, you're probably right," Rebecca said sadly, tossing them over her shoulder. She collapsed on the floor, tired from her frantic attempts at makeshift barriers. Boarding up every window in the house with makeshift material was a draining effort. No one ever told her that zombie apocalypses would involve such hard work. Rebecca suddenly wished she could shoot a gun instead of some silly golf club. Hell, she wished she HAD a gun. You could have found more guns than medicine in Mercy Hospital, but here in the real world? No such luck.

"Hmm..." she said aloud. "A character who plays a game online and has the game come into the world?" Rebecca pulled out a yellow pad of paper and jotted down the idea. Her hand writing was sloppier than normal, given how dark the room was after the power lines went down.

"Ace, isn't there an old back-up generator in this place?" she asked.

Ace growled in his sleep.

"I think there is one. It would be awesome if we could get some power back in here. The food can stay fresh and stuff."

Leaving Ace to his nap, she grabbed a flashlight and snooped around downstairs for the generator.

3. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

Late Afternoon/Early Evening

"Lookee here! Raite!" said Rick, "Tis' a beaut."

"Nice." said Derek, "Lets check it out."

A sturdy, two story log cabin was on the right, a tall pile of wood stood on the side as well as various trees. The windows are small but seems comfortable, and already boasted wooden coverings.

"Rick, guard the food. I'll check it out."

Derek hefted his crowrench and jumped out as the truck stopped. It sputtered and he paused, hoping the engine would hold. Happily, it didn't fail as it toned down. He waved at Rick, who gave him an air five and started polishing his shotgun... again.

The rented lodge seemed quiet... almost too quiet. Except for a weird ripping sound he couldn't place, it seemed empty. The door seemed to be barricaded, so he used his crowbar and lifted it out of its hinges.

Inside, what he saw shocked him. On the ground lay a man and a... girl. The girl's skin was grey, and its head was a crater on a neck. The man, however, boasted a large belly and a grey beard, and ripping through his flesh was an aged woman with grain hair and only one arm. The other lay a few feet away.

The woman looked up and moaned at him, and stumbled foward. Derek noticed a bite mark on her leg he stumbled back from the ghastly scene.

He snapped out of it as he stumbled over a hunting rifle... no shotgun? It lay at the door with one of the mans arms still holding it. Two casings of deershot lay nearby. The women tore his crowrench and threw it away, grabbing at his arms. Thinking quickly, he pulled the gun up and shot her in the face like Rick did.

However, as she fell, headless, the destroyed man moaned and stood up. Its flesh on his belly and arm was mangled, and a hand was missing, but it moved as if alive while its eyes proclaimed his death. One bash with his crowrench destroyed him, but seeing the dead actually comming alive infront of his eyes was disconcerting.

The rest of the house was clean, except for a pile of vomit in the bathroom and a torn off chuck of cheek in the bed room. He called rick in, who drove the truck into the covered shed. He nailed the door back on, threw the body out, and prepared for the night.

Rick feasted on the deer while he, too sick to eat, called for the first sleep session while Rick took place as the guard.

4. Nuka-sama

Nuka-sama See ya! It has been a fun decade!

Loving these stories!

5. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden Deity

Living on the outskirts of town, David Mitchell had no news of going ons in the town until his daughter, Debbie, came back. She had gone into town to pick up the mail, but instead, she told him of the fires and chaos that were spreading through the town. Mitchell boarded up the house and Debbie gathered the food and ammo. The only question that remained was whether or not the Mitchells would go into town for church and groceries, but it seemed unlikely.

David was shocked at what he heard. "Hand o God! The lootin's started already? Them people must really hate the mayor. You're lucky you made it out of there in one piece, Deb!"

"No paw! They weren't like us normal people! They were like escaped mental patients or somethin!" Debbie replied with what little breath she had.

David wasn't impressed by Debbie's fancy college vocabulary. "Naw, naw. They prefer to be called crazy nutjobs."

Debbie gathered her thoughts more. "But they were like eating people too!"

"Cannibals?"

"But their skin was all gross and pealy!"

"Cancer cannibals?"

Debbie pondered some. "Naw, that's not it. Dang, what's the word I'm thinking of?"

David pondered too. "Danged if I know. If only we had a pop cultural basis to reference for this kind of situation, then we'd know what to call em, or what to do with em. Hmm."

"Yeah."

David snapped out of it. "Well as long as you're home safe! Now help me finish boarding up these here windows. I reckon they'll get rounded up before they'd make it out here. And no way they'd break into an 1948 boarded up farmhouse!"

Debbie knew that this was Sunday though. "But paw! What about church!"

"Oh, dag nabbit, you're right! We can't be angering off the Lord any more than we must have been already! Bah, why'd it have to be downtown? C'mon, get back in the truck and I'll get the supplies, also known as, 'Little Brittany'."

Debbie could only roll her eyes.

6. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

Is there still room?

7. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Sure is! Zombies appeared this morning during a power and phone outage, phones and radio are still out and it's the evening now. If you'd like you could probably join as one of the supporting NPCs, like my character's younger brother Marten, or if Nuke allows it, create a new character.

8. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

You could join also join as the paranoid, sociopathic, evil Inner-Jane Emily.

9. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

Actually, I can't. Nevermind. :(

10. DarthNader

DarthNader Destroyer of Worlds

What was supposed to be an exploratory drive quickly turned into a horror scene. The existence of the "immortal men" was, as the group of boys had told, a horrible reality. Father MacCochlain and Deacon Bostwick had witnessed the carnage breaking out on Main Street and were devastated by their inability to help anyone.

"Ok, that's Willow, so go left. What should we do now?"

The van swayed as Colin swerved around another stumbling demon.

"I think we should go to our homes first, gather loved ones and anything we need, then head back to the church. Do you know if your wife would be alright?"

William thought for a moment. His wife was pregnant, but still in her first trimester. She would be able to hold on for a little while until he could safely pick her up.

"She can wait. She's a fighter. Besides your place is closer, just on Hemlock, right?"

"Yes, we can do that if you want. I know I have supplies. Let's spend an hour cleaning out my place, then we will head out."

The van whipped around another corner and onto East Columbia.

* * *​

William upended another bottle of soda into the kitchen sink and watched the brown liquid spiral down the drain.

"Why are we doing this again?"

"Soda dehydrates you, and that's the last thing we need right now. Besides, I don't have many water bottles. Milk jugs and soda bottles will have to do."

"Where do you want me to put them when I'm done?"

"In the garage, but don't put them in the van yet. I want to see if I can stack boxes up on the bottom first."

William carried the water out into the garage and made a small pile near the back of the van. Three soda bottles, two milk jugs, and a case of bottled water. If he did his math right, it was about six and a half gallons total. He walked back inside to find Colin carrying a box his way, the cans inside clanging with every step he took. Another pair of boxes sat in the kitchen, so he took them out into the garage.

"Sounds like they know we're here Bill."

"Darn. I take it that's our cue to leave."

"Not quite, we can still grab a few things before we leave. We should probably get my other shotgun and as many shells as we can."

The two tromped downstairs and into a storage room. Inside were fishing poles, camping equipment, some bags, and a pair of safes.

"Grab that duffel" said Colin as he gestured towards a red bag on a table. William brought it over as Colin went to work opening the safes. In the first were several boxes of 20-gauge shells, all of which were quickly dumped into the duffel. In the other safe was a shotgun, a 20-gauge pump action, which Colin picked up and loaded. He handed the side-by-side to William, picked up a pair of backpacks and headed upstairs to the van. Colin began to load all the supplies into the back as William jumped in the driver's seat. After loading the last water jug, he slammed the tailgate shut.

"Start 'er up! I'll be right back!" he yelled as he jogged towards the door. The van's engine roared, echoing in the garage as Colin grabbed a can of red spray paint and headed back into the house. He moved to the front door and peaked out the window. There were no demons, which was good. He opened the door and uncapped the spray paint can. Quickly, he made a large "X" on the door and slammed the painted door closed. As he opened the door to the garage, the sound of glass shattering behind him made him turn. One of the demons now stood in his living room, staggering towards him. He bolted out the door and into the idling van. The garage door began to rise, revealing the small mob of demons mulling outside.

"God help us."

"Go Bill!"

The van peeled out of the driveway, running over several demons in the process, and started moving west.

"They got in the house, Bill. We should get to your wife quick."

The engine roared as the van sped down East Galena towards 562 Townsend Avenue, home to the Bostwick family.

11. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Day One: Evening: Part Four

Little Bro will not stop watching the zombies outside. It’s like a car crash, you just can’t look away. So surreal. I’m beginning to feel a bit uneasy, Jane hasn’t come out from the basement.

“Uh… Jane?”

There’s no response to my call down the stairs, other than vague sounds of heavy objects being dragged around.

“You know what she’s doing?” Marty doesn’t even look away from the window as he asks.

“Damned if I know, maybe she’s getting something. Maybe she’s just locking herself down there and waiting for this to blow over.”

“That sounds a lot smarter than what we’re doing.”

“You know what always happens to that guy in the movies though, right? Besides, you’d probably go crazy after spending enough time alone, underground, too afraid to even go outside.

Marten’s shuddering at that, and I hear footsteps at the stairs. Jane emerges, clad entirely in partially improvised armor. Actually, it’s looking less improvised every second. Holy crap, has she been preparing this or what?”

“Uh… whoah.”

She’s holding her Zweihander out. It’s pointing uncomfortably close to me. Marten mouths the word ‘hawt’, and fortunately Jane’s attention is squarely on me.

“You’re… you’ve really thought this out haven’t you.”

She moves her head around for a few seconds before responding.

“Yeeeesss…..” She seems distracted.

“Aaaalright then!” says Marten, interrupting the awkward pause, “What’s the plan?”

“Plan! Right. Okay, I was thinking that we should go to the Janikowski residence.” I’d been reading through a contacts list on Jane’s fridge to pass the time, “Jace is the guy who’s a really good archer, right? Marten, he’s been to the same martial arts group as Jane and myself, although he’s not really a regular. He’s just a few houses down from here, and I think if we want to have a good chance of surviving, someone who can kill from further than melee range could be useful.”

Jane’s nodding, and quietly mutters “I’ll have to get him too.” She’s still holding her sword in my direction, shaking slightly, as if torn by indecision. I find it quite unsettling that I can’t see anything but the faintest outline of her face through her fencing mask.

“Right. Anyways, we should head to the hospital and find out everything we can about the zombies. Then once we have that information, we make the next step and figure out whether we fortify, or attack.”

Marten’s nodding.

“Sounds good. But what’s so important about Jace? We barely even know him.”

“Isn’t he the guy who organized that big ‘dress up in medieval gear and beat people up thing’?”

“Oh yeah, that LARP last fall.” Marten suddenly pauses, seemingly embarrassed to know the word ‘LARP’.

“If anyone’s spent a lot of time planning what to do in a weird situation like this, it’s probably him.”

“Right, but he’s just an archer. Wouldn’t it be better to get guns?”

“Are you a good shot Marten?”

“No, are you?”

“I have a freaking Naginata.” Marty doesn’t question my artful dodging of the question.

“What about the police? They might be organizing something too.”

I glare at Little Bro for a few seconds.

“Oh right.” He says, breaking the pause. “Okay, the front lawn seems to have cleared. Head out?”

I look at Jane, who’s still standing exactly where she was at the beginning of the conversation. I get the disturbing feeling from the way she’s tensing and untensing that she’s waiting for me to turn my back. I wish I could see the look in her eyes, this is getting really creepy.

“So, are you coming with us?”

“I’m holing up in the attic until this passes.”

“Well… thanks a lot for the blade, that’ll help a lot! I hope things turn out all right for you in here. Safety in numbers, you know.”

“I’ll be fine.” She seems relieved that we’re going, for some reason. It occurs to me that I could be intimidating to her. Now that’s an ego booster.

“Good luck Jane.”

“Keep on rockin’!” Marten says, air guitaring a riff… with his drumsticks, for some reason. We back out the door, and close it behind us. Outside, our bikes are right where we left them, and the zombies have moved on to bloodier pastures. A quick sprint on our bikes, and we reach Jace’s house in a matter of moments. I don’t think any zombies saw us approaching, at any rate. We get off our bikes and walk up the concrete steps to the front door. The screen and main door are both shut and locked, but there’s a light on upstairs, and an open window. As I am about to shout, I notice a crumpled corpse with an arrow in its head.

“Well, right house at least.” I shout, a little hesitantly, working very hard to sound like something that isn’t the waking dead.

“Jace! Is anyone in there?”

Rustling noises, then a head sticks out the second story window from above.

“What? Who are you?”

“Someone who wants to talk about zombies.”

“Sure, but who are you?”

“I’m Max, and this is my associate-slash-brother Maten.”

“Waaaiit… Wilson, is it? Wilkins?”

“Willoughby.” I’ve never liked my last name. What kind of pansy-

“You’re that guy who blew out the school’s sound system at the last talent show with that godawful band, what was it, Slashermax Devastator or something?”

“Close enough. I’m that guy, and this one was the drummer.”

“Yo!”

“Thank you for that introduction Marten. Anyways, we’re trying to figure out what’s going on, since obviously authority has entirely broken down. Have you seen any figures of authority coming around today?”

“I haven’t exactly been looking, but no one’s come to my door but you and that fellow beside the steps. What do you propose?”

“We’re going to try to trek our way to the medical center, and figure out what’s causing this, and we need someone who can hit zombies from a distance. We were just at Jane’s armoury to get this thing fixed,” I wave my polearm for emphasis, “But she didn’t want to come.”

I notice that Jace is blanching somewhat.

“Guys, you’ve gotta get in right now.”

I turn around- three zombies have cut off the entrance into this yard and are advancing in- did they follow us? Or is this just bad luck?

“Crap!”

“I’m coming down! Hold on!” Jace disappears from the window. Marty and I turn to face our attackers. Not letting them take the first move, I lunge forwards, with a horizontal slash, slicing the three of them open at chest height. As sort of expected, this has no effect. Marten flies in from the side and knocks one backwards over the low fence. Blood spurts out of its mouth and chest as it is impaled on a vertical bar of the fence. Two to go. I take a swing at the nearest zombie, but hesitate- it’s a woman, and I don’t feel approproooh god it’s trying to bite me kill it kill it kill it- I knock it away with a backwards blow, then aim for the thin neck.

No mercy, don’t think too much about it.

Schlick.

One to go- wait… Marten is pulling his drumsticks out of the last zombie, lying motionless and flat on his back. Did he just kill two zombies in, what, ten seconds with two drumsticks and an old sneaker? I cringe slightly at my younger brother’s preferred means of killing sh*t, but if it’s the brain you have to destroy, then the eyes are the easiest way to go… but yuck, that’s…

“Hooooooly crap.”

Jace is standing at the open door, staring at the carnage.

“Hi! Don’t mind us.” says Little Bro, sticking out his tongue.

“Uh… wow. You guys might want to stay over here for now, there’s likely to be more of those soon and it’s starting to get dark.”

He’s right, sun’s sinking beneath the mountains already. With a hop, skip and jump, I’m inside. Marten follows, and Jace closes the door behind us.

12. Capt_Lightning

Capt_Lightning Chieftain

“Whoah dudes, that was pretty sick. I mean killing those zombies so quickly. And one with the use of drumsticks?! That’s astounding... Anyways, we should barricade the doors if we’re gonna be staying here tonight.”

Marten, Max, and I all go inside, and quickly move a motley assortment of couches, tables, and chairs against the door.

“Alright, so it’s getting late, and I haven’t eaten yet. I’m assuming you guys haven’t either, what with all this craziness outside. Because the power’s out, I can’t really make microwave meals, so I’m gonna try and light the stove and make pancakes.”

“Yo, why pancakes?” Marten asks. “Couldn’t we have, I dunno, something that’s more like dinner?”

“We’re gonna have pancakes, because it’s all I know how to make off the top of my head, and cuz they cook quickly.”

I grab everything quickly and start making the batter. I quickly open the fridge, grabbing milk and eggs and close it. Don’t wanna let all the cold out… Then in a bowl I dump in a cup of flour, some sugar, and a pinch of salt. After I crack an egg and toss that in. Then I grab a spoon and stir the mixture while pouring in some milk.

“Now comes the hard part…”

I grab the lighter we keep on top of the fridge, for birthdays and such, and turn the gas on on the stove. After a failed attempt at lighting it, I succeed, and after jumping back from a small flare-up, there’s a flame to cook with. Tossing a pan over the top, I grab some of the cooking spray, so that the pancakes won’t stick. The milk and eggs quickly go back into the fridge.

In about fifteen minutes, we all have three pancakes each with a small amount of batter left over.

“Ugh… now let’s see if I can find the syrup……..Found it!”

We sit down, on the floor, because the chairs are in use barricading the entryways, and have a meal.

13. Nuka-sama

This will be updated on Wednesday-Thursday! depending on when I go back to school

14. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

There, Jane said, shoving the last can of peach into the attic. That should be enough food and water to last a week.

Excellent, Emily said. Now pull up the ladder.

Yes, boss, Jane replied. The ladder came up with a small noise. You know, I am worried about those boys.

They went outside, said Emily. They are good as zombies now. I give them 10 hours left to live.

Yeah...maybe I should have stopped them. Didn't they say they were going to the hospital now? That would be the worst mistake ever. If there is one place that you can be sure is crawling with zombies, it would be the hospital.

Exactly, Emily said. You did well not following them.

But the problem is... the radio station is down. We may not be able to hear the rescue broadcast, if it ever comes and the government doesn't choose to firebomb the entire city or something.

Nah, said Emily. The government officials watched zombie movies too, Jane. They know how to deal with this situation. And that solution is tanks and bunch of riflemen.

Yeah... hopefully, Jane said. Maybe I should put a sign on the roof or something.

You do that, Emily replied. Don't get pounced on by a hunter or something.

I wonder why the radio broadcast is out...

15. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

a few updates in i will join :)

16. Nuka-sama

This is the 24 hour warning :)

17. Nuka-sama

Personal issues within the family are going to delay this until the weekend. :/

18. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

More time for stories!

19. Nuka-sama

Chapter 2-Calm Before the Storm​

June 4th-June 5th 2011​
    By 7:30 PM, Telluride was an eerie balance between peace and chaos. At 7:45, power and water was restored to Telluride before being shut down again at around 11. Meanwhile, the disappearance of the sheriff Jackson had led to the complete breakdown of organized law enforcement, as the remainder of the department fled to fend for their families. The exception to this is the fire department, with Fir Street, Pine Street, and some of Columbia Street being calmed by the presence of Sheriff John Wilkes and the fire department. Barricades have been built, and some of Telluride’s citizens have made their way over there. Unfortunately, it seems that with the influx of refugees, there is enough food that has been stocked up to last about three days. A few of the immortal men were killed as they attempted to break through the barricade.

After the failed barricade on Main Street, Jimmy Morello, the resident ‘Nam Vet, was seen fleeing for the Town Park, where he was seen hiding underneath the jungle gym.

As Max and Marten Willoughby went on in the night, it was quite clear there was something wrong, and when Max had to decapitate a man, things were clearly out of control. Max quickly came to the obvious realization that running to an insane woman who knew him vaguely from a martial arts class was the best idea he could have. He did receive a much improved nagitana, and was able to escape without the crazy lady. They did make it to a classmate’s, by the name of Jace Janikowski, where they ate undercooked pancakes and barricaded the house. The only consolidation to the scenario is that in their fleeing of their home, the brothers forgot their instruments. A noble blessing for the citizens of Telluride, both living and undead. Oh, and they hooked up with an archer. That’s good too. In the meantime though, an odd smell is coming from Marten…

(+Sharpened Nagitana, +Odd smell from Marten, +Stain on Marten’s pants)

Oddly enough, Father Colin MacCochlain was not like many of his parishioners, or his fellow priests; instead of preparing a great prayer to God, Colin went out to gather supplies with Deacon Bostwick. Luckily, the water was running, and the pair were able to gather much needed water. Food, though not as much, was still found, and between the two houses, there were enough supplies to last quite a while. The pregnant Linda Bostwick accompanied them back to the church, and for an odd reason, they had no run ins with the immortals the youths were speaking of earlier. Still, even as the sun has barely risen, there is already seeming to be quite a crowd for the sermon today.

(+Companion Linda Bostwick, +quite a bit of water and some food, +ammo)

Rebecca Ross had a relatively uneventful evening, though she did find a major asset; a generator. Unfortunately, the generator seems to be missing some parts though, preventing it from working. She stayed with her loyal dog Ace, as she waited for Mr. Hawkins, yet he still did not show up. She fell asleep late, though she awoke this morning to her dog barking hysterically and a scratching sound at the door.

(+broken generator)

There have been reports that two rednecks have been shooting up anything they see on the outskirts of town. With all likelihood, they did hit some immortals, but some citizens of Telluride who fled the town came back with bullets in their bodies and having no way to get to the hospital. Now, the deer have come out again for the morning, and the two rednecks look to get some gooooood eatin. A lucky accident though allowed them to find a can of chewing tobacco off of the body of an accidental victim.

(-Ammo, +Chewin Tobacco)

A crazy woman, who may or may not be two people has been raiding the streets. Though Jane initially did not know of the zombie outbreak, she did more than make up for it, and has begun a campaign of onslaught. Worrying about possible response, she did make sure on her preparations of securing her attic that she brought some markers and a poster board.

(+Markers, +Poster Board)

Peter Kings was not bothered for the rest of the night, and as of this morning, is still asleep.

Zombie Kill Leader Board
    Derek Connor-6
    Jane White-3
    Jimmy Morello-2
    Max Willoughby-2
    Marten Willoughby-2
    Peter Kings-1
    Jace Janikowski-1
    All Others-0​

Town Gossip

Reports have come in that the areas around the hospital has the most immortal men running around

Notes

Stats will be updated and put on the front page
    Sorry for the delay.

It is now 7:09 AM, on Sunday, June 5th. The next update will cover until 7 PM on Sunday June 5th.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Are we not counting kills that happened in stories? Because Jace has killed one zombie with his arrows:

And the brothers Willoughby have...

So four between the brothers, two zombies killed apiece.

Also, I'm going to assume that the odd stain and smell are from Marten having spilled expired orange juice on himself during Jace's impromptu pancake meal- he doesn't strike me as the type to have a nervous bladder.