Zone-Alarm Freeze-Ups

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
I've been having significant trouble with Zone Alarm Pro Firewall locking up the CPU resources at start up for as long as half an hour. At first I thought this might be a contention with my Norton Anti-Virus 2006, as it's a known resource hog, but the problem continues even when my anti-virus is disabled, so Norton is not the culprit.

The two processes locked in contention are zlclient.exe and vsmon.exe, both Zone Alarm processes. Neither will let me terminate it :(. So far I haven't found any way to solve the problem, not even through Googling. It really appears Zone Alarm is ignoring the problem. It's occured with both versions 6.5 and 7 for me.

I stumbled upon a temporary solution in that running a DOS window in the NTVDM allows me to unfreeze it by going into the NTVDM and then back into Windows. That makes absolutely no sense as to why it works, but it's better than nothing. If it weren't for that I couldn't have made it this far in typing this post.

Ah. Lockup just ended. 32 minutes after I booted the computer. Go figure.

Another solution is not shutting down Windows and only using Hibernate. But I'm liable to forget that fairly often. Linux is a possibility that I've used for Net browsing, but I don't want to go to the hassle of trying to get all my programs working on it.

I'm trying to convince my dad to get rid of Zone Alarm for good, fortunately it looks like I'm making progress, more rapidly as Zone Alarm moves more slowly, but I'd rather get rid of the problem ASAP if someone actually has a solution.

Would I recommend this software? No way! :mad:

Top Bottom