Civ 5 Design Challenge IV - History/Eras

:c5capital: The United States (Truman)

UA: The Truman Doctrine -
Whenever a nation holds Influence :c5influence: over your nation, gain a Production :c5production: bonus of +25% towards Militaristic Units/Buildings. Upon the adoption of an Ideology, all other nations lose Influence :c5influence: with you.

UU: U.S Container -
Replaces the Infantry. When attacking :c5war: units and cities owned by a civilization with a different ideology, gain a +35% Combat Bonus. When stationed inside of your own cities borders, Touristic Influence going to your empire is slowed by 5% (Max: 35%).

UI: Foreign Embassy -
Unlocked at Industrialization. Can only be built within other City-State :c5citystate: borders and grants your empire with +4 Culture :c5culture: and +4 Science :c5science: when you are Friends or Allies with them.

Wow. No offence, but that's like... Super counterintuitive. Not only you get bonuses for contributing to other civilizations' cultural victory, adopting an ideology would reduce that bonus. Plus, you have a UI that grants a really small amount of culture considering when its unlocked... Does 3 culture really worth moving your workers outside of your borders? You should probably increase that bonus to make it more significant.
Also, shouldn't a Truman design have an infantry replacement, rather than a great war infantry replacement?

Wow. No offence, but that's like... Super counterintuitive. Not only you get bonuses for contributing to other civilizations' cultural victory, adopting an ideology would reduce that bonus. Plus, you have a UI that grants a really small amount of culture considering when its unlocked... Does 3 culture really worth moving your workers outside of your borders? You should probably increase that bonus to make it more significant.
Also, shouldn't a Truman design have an infantry replacement, rather than a great war infantry replacement?
How does it contribute to other's victory? It actively slows down the process in which other civilizations gain your influence and even grants you bonus if they do hold Influence over you.

How does it contribute to other's victory? It actively slows down the process in which other civilizations gain your influence and even grants you bonus if they do hold Influence over you.

But the UA sets it up that you want people to hold influence over you so you get the benefits, but then the rest of the civ reduces other people's influence, so it's pointless

Algeria (Houari Boumediene)
Capital: Algiers
Start Bias: Desert
UA: Workshop Of The Maghreb
Upon adopting an Ideology, Buildings that generate Production are built +33% faster and generate +1 Culture, Production, and Gold. Social Policies are 1% cheaper for every Workshop, Windmill, Factory, Hydro Plant, Sonatrach Refinery, and Solar Plant in the Empire (max. 50%).
UU: Armée Nationale Populaire (replaces Infantry)
Unlike the Infantry it replaces, the ANP is cheaper and generates Culture per kill equal to double the target unit's Combat Strength. It also receives a +25% Combat Bonus when fighting in City-State territory. Upgrades as normal.
UB: Sonatrach Refinery (replaces Nuclear Plant)
The Sonatrach Refinery is markedly different to the Nuclear Plant it replaces; for one thing, it is much weaker, generating only +4 and +10% Production. However, it is cheaper (425 Production vs. 500 on Standard), requires Oil instead of Uranium, generates +1 Production and Gold from Tiles with Oil, is available at Refrigeration rather than Nuclear Fission, and does not prevent the construction of a Solar Plant in the City in which it is built. Requires a Factory.

Last edited:
Well, that's a really creative design... as always, though don't you think that the UA is slightly too strong? You're gonna get a crap ton of production and culture on top of the policy cost decreasing, and double synergy (like the one you have in the UA is always powerful, even by its own.

Until ideologies, basically the only bonus the UA gives is faster water mills and workshops.

Not to say that's not a useful bonus, but until ideologies it isn't that OP.

Although I agree that at ideologies it's a bit boost especially if going wide, could mean +~40 culture in some empires, on top of cheaper social policies. Maybe make the culture 1 or change the production a bit

Yeah, you're probably right. I've edited it to +1 of the listed yields. The Gold one's probably the most valuable, since Workshops and Windmills cost 2 Maintenance, while Factories, Hydro Plants, Nuclear Plants, and Solar Plants cost 3. It does incentivise going wide, but that has some problems associated with it (no way of getting extra Happiness, for instance, or speeding up Border Growth). Hopefully it's a bit better.

I should also point out that the bonus to buildings only applies once you have adopted an Ideology. This was poor wording on my part.

I vote for Kul's Indonesia

I'm almost saddened by the fact that just one of these designs could win the challenge. Despite some similarities between them (mainly due to the challenge's nature), they are really good. I thought it was gonna be a straightforward decision for me looking at scape's design, but the designs at the previous page are equally as good (excluding mine. mine is far better. :rolleyes:)
I vote for Alga2's design. Can't resist a modern civ (chronology-wise) that has bonuses in the early game.

I'm voting for North Vietnam

Damn that sounds really bad out of context.

I'm voting for SoGK's United Nations! It's an approach to diplomacy votes I've not yet seen before :D

I also cast my vote for The United Nations by SonOfGreatKoya! It's a really interesting take on a diplomatic civ and I'd love to play as it. =]

2 for senshi,
2 for Koya,
1 for kul,
1 for Alga

Tiebreakers?

Will switch to Senshi to get the ball rolling again.

Aah I'm put on the spot uhh Post-Colonial South East Asia

Top Bottom