Civ 5 Design Challenge IV - History/Eras

Laos (Kaysone Phomvihane)
Start Bias: Jungle
Capital: Vientiane
UA: Land-Linked Nation
Upon constructing a Road or Railroad to another City owned by a Major Civilization or City-State, generate +10% Gold and Production respectively in all Lao Cities connected to your Trade Network. Ignore Building Terrain requirements.
UU: Pathet Lao (replaces Infantry)
Starts with Charge and the unique Promotion "Ho Chi Minh Trail", allowing Allied units within 3 Hexes to ignore Rough Terrain penalties to Movement. Cheaper than the Infantry it replaces.
UB: That (replaces Temple)
+2 Faith, +2 Culture, +2 Gold. Each That built in a City connected to your Trade Network generates +1 Gold in the Capital, rising to +2 if connected via Railroad.

Alright, my second Khmer civ in a row

The United Issarak Front
Leader:
Son Ngoc Minh

UA: The Founding Conference: +1 culture per turn for every missionary you have in a friendly city. Units have +5% combat strength for every Social Policy you have (max 50%)

UU: Cadre: The Cadre has 50% of the usual stats of the Infantry it replaces, but is purchased in groups of three and costs 33% more.

UB: Conference House: Unlike the courthouse it replaces, the Conference House provides all of the usual bonuses, but increases it's effects by 10% for every allied civilisation you have (max 30%).

East Timor (Xanana Gusmão)
UA: Crocodile Island
Each follower of your pantheon/ religion grants :c5faith: faith upon claiming a tile, increasing with each cultural or religious building in the city. Gain :c5food: food equal to half of the religious pressure your city gains from :trade: trade routes (pressure for you religion).

UB: Lee teinu
Replaces temple. The Lee teinu Grants +3 :c5culture: culture for each :trade: trade route received from a smaller foreign city, and also grants +1 :c5culture: culture per each :trade: trade route you sent to such city.

UU: FRETILIN
Replaces infantry. Suited for mass production, becoming 1% cheaper to build for each citizen in the city. Additionally, it gains XP whenever you adopt :c5culture: social policies, increasing with each one you already have.

Indonesia (Suharto)

UA:
Pancasila
Gains :c5goldenage: Golden Age Points for each of the following occurrences:
- +1 :c5goldenage: each turn for each city following your religion.
- +2 :c5goldenage: each turn for each city celebrating WLTKD.
- +2 :c5goldenage: each turn when your ideology is preferred.
- +2 :c5goldenage: when a citizen is born.
- +3 :c5goldenage: when your borders expand (Buying territory and settled territory do not count towards this bonus).

UB: Yayasan
Replaces Market. Grants +3 :c5production: Production, 25% :c5gold: Gold, +1 Gold per incoming trade route.
Unlike the Market it replaces, the Yayasan does not give +1:c5gold: and has a 2 :c5gold: building maintenance

UU: Kopkamtib
Replaces the Great War Infantry. Has the Dwifungsi Promotion, which grants + 2 :c5gold: Gold, :c5production: Production and :c5science: Science when garrisoned in a city. Promotion can be passed down upon upgrading.

Last edited:
vote?

+1 for Natan's East Timor! :D
It seems pretty interesting and balanced, which (for me) has proven to be a difficult combination ;)

I'm going to have to go with Natan's East Timor, but Scapgrace's Laos was a close second. Both have some nice combos going but not too broken for either.

Voting for Scapegrace's Laos. Liked the design, especially the UA (which is way more powerful then it seems), and also liked how its components stay effective throughout the entire game.

I think I am allowed to declare Natan to be the winner, since he got 3 out of 4 votes already
So, what do you have in charge for us Natan?

1848 - 1914 (Revolutions of 1848 'till WW 1).

Dresden, Dresden, Dresden!

Dresden Revolutionaries
Leader: Alexander Heinze

UA: Volksblätter Writers: Gain increased Great Person production for each Social Policy. Great Works of Music decrease enemy spy and diplomat effectiveness.

UU: Municipal Guard: Weaker than the Rifleman which it replaces, the Municipal Guard decreases the tourism output of other civilisations when garrisoned.

UB: Zeughaus: Unlike the Armoury it replaces, the Zeughaus is unlocked at Dynamite and may only be built in capital cities, and grants an additional delegate in the world congress.

Last edited:
Heavenly Kingdom
Hung Xiuquan

:c5capital: Tianjing

UA - The Eternal Peace
When a civ you have discovered reformed their religion, you get a :c5faith: Prophet. All of your :c5war: military unit that existed during that event, or created 10 turn after it, gain "God's Worshipper" promotion. This event only can be fired once

UU - Keun (Musketman)
Have slightly less :c5strength: Strength compared to musketman (23 v 24) and can only be upgraded into Great War Infantry. When you capture a city with one, you get another

UB - Heavenly Hall (Temple)
Increase the amount of :c5food: Food needed for :c5citizen: Pop growth by 10%, but grant +1:c5production: Production per 1 :c5citizen: Pop

Spoiler :
God's Worshipper : Instantly converted any cities they capture. Ignore penalty against attacking city

I'm (finally) submitting a new design. Yeah, I know, it's been a while.

The Métis (Louis Riel)

UA: Northwest Uprising – Enemy units that end their turn adjacent to forests in Métis territory lose 10 HP. Each time you settle a new city, your citizens do trade with the surrounding native peoples, yielding 100 :c5gold: gold.

UU: Coureur de Bois - A scout replacement unique to the Métis. Has the amphibian promotion and double movement in tiles adjacent to rivers and lakes. Discovering new tiles generates small amounts of :c5gold: gold and :c5culture: culture.

UU: Northwest Rebel - Métis Rifleman replacement that comes with the woodsman promotion. While they have lower combat strength than regular Riflemen, they can be produced quickly and cheaply especially in wide empires due to production bonuses that increase the lower the size of the city it is being constructed in.

Spoiler Production Bonuses: :
In Cities with Population 5 or less: +150%

In Cities with Population :c5citizen: 10 or less: +100% :c5production:

In Cities with Population :c5citizen: 15 or less: +70% :c5production:

In Cities with Population :c5citizen: 20 or less: +40% :c5production:

In Cities with Population :c5citizen: 25 or less: +25% :c5production:

In Cities with Population :c5citizen: 26 or more: No bonus

The Métis specialize in early expansion and defense. The extra gold you recieve while settling cities will provide you with a handy buffer to allow you to deal with the initial gold deficit you may encounter from building maintenance. Exploring large areas of land will yield helpful gold and culture, while a wide empire will still be able to defend itself due to the damage dealt by forests as well as the ability of smaller cities to build Northwest Rebels easier than normal.

Vote?

I'm voting for Mobby's Metis civ. I like that someone decided to make a civ so focussed on growing wide and not tall.

I think we need someone else to (and not for me)
Perhaps I can be of assistance ;)
My vote goes to SoGK's heavenly kingdom!

Top Bottom