Bazaars, Camels and Oil

So here I am, finishing Oxford and thinking I'll buy some nukes soon. But then it turns out you need both Radar and AT to unlock Nuclear Fission. Should've checked the tech tree. Luckily this doesn't affect much and there's only the Aztec capital left to capture now.

Not much to report:

- Captured Saguntum and Hippo Regius, gifted both to Pacha and made peace with Dido
- Captured Bulawayo and Cusco, made peace with Shaka
- Opened Exploration for faster ships
- Built Oxford and Manhattan, and planted some Great People on Uranium for no reason apparently
- DoWed Monte and Ram. Captured Sukhotai and Onondaga
- Didn't revive Hiawatha because I needed a base for bombers
- Had cities mostly just produce Wealth
- But then our happiness fell drastically and I switched some of them to happiness buildings
- Didn't pay much attention to tile management or workers. Lots of units just sleeping. It's all a bit of a mess but clicking through everything every turn takes too long

20210620080057_1.jpg 20210620080020_1.jpg

Tenochtitlan can be hit by the Range Battleships in the north. Monte just moved his planes there though and note that only one of the ships has Logistics.

Attachments

• Harun al-Rashid_0269 SG.Civ5Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I'm sensing slight lapses in concentration or involuntary one-more-turn mentality in effect :) Anyway, Beetle will wrap this up in few turns.

Cap Makassar next turn & buy 2 AAGs and even all the CAs can be safely useful in the last turns though at this point suicide missions are fine, too.

Fun game.

----

I didn't think it made any difference at this point so since I loaded the game I also finished it.

Spoiler last turns :

I thought what the hell and went all out. AI was as useless as usually shooting Makassar for no reason and lost Monte 4 cities before Tenochtitlan T273 without killing a single unit. The lovely thing with Carriers is that you'll shoot every turn while moving towards main target.
For fun & revenge I also GG bombed Shaka's coal.

---

Any news from the next game front? I'm up for one anyway. Also, a bit premature but I think that Raider might benefit with a little order swap to #1 so he doesn't have to struggle between with my violent visions & sane options of others. It doesn't seem fair that he'll be sort of setting stuff up for me every time. On top of that a small reshuffle after every game would prolly be beneficial. Out of n players I'm still happy to be the #n.

Last edited:
I'm sensing slight lapses in concentration or involuntary one-more-turn mentality in effect :)
Oh yes. I played that session at 2 AM. ;)

Any news from the next game front? I'm up for one anyway.
I'm up for one as well. @Nizef, @beetle, @raider980, are you guys in?

What we've been doing with turn order is sliding it down one position every game, but I'm fine with a reshuffle as well. For the settings my only real request is that we have a good chance to secure a religion. It'd be difficult on a map like Mediterranean of the EE pack unless we play Egypt and spawn next to Sinai.

One idea I've had for a while was to try a Byzantium game with maxed out Wine and Incense tiles. With Monasteries, Oral Tradition and Goddess of Festivals, those tiles yield 3 culture and 2 faith. It's hard to secure all three beliefs on Deity though.

What we've been doing with turn order is sliding it down one position every game, but I'm fine with a reshuffle as well.

The 'problem' with sliding is that one always follows the same party while one of treats in this type of game is that one has to adapt to other styles of play; even better imho if that adaptation part varies. I'm not worried that I might get less turns than others being the last but as I said earlier it doesn't feel right if Raider continuously (keeping the same example) uses his turn catering my genocidal tendencies. It feels like I'm playing 15 turns instead of 10 which is fine by me but I wouldn't necessarily feel as ok being always the other party ;)
Obviously collective masterplan diminishes this potential problem but having an internal 24h WC after every 10 turn, sometimes even more often, makes this feel unnecessarily slow game. Or maybe I'm just impatient.

For the settings my only real request is that we have a good chance to secure a religion. It'd be difficult on a map like Mediterranean of the EE pack unless we play Egypt and spawn next to Sinai.

One idea I've had for a while was to try a Byzantium game with maxed out Wine and Incense tiles. With Monasteries, Oral Tradition and Goddess of Festivals, those tiles yield 3 culture and 2 faith. It's hard to secure all three beliefs on Deity though.

My general preference is more cities & more violence will always benefit the game. It's also then easier (I think) make various RP decisions about rules & direction of the game one wants to go. Hiding in a corner really isn't my thing and that prolly was biggest single thing that made me an Immortal player - I can roll maps where settling 8-12 before NC is not only technically possible but in some scenarios feasible and always workable.

Sorry to have missed this yesterday. My turn will not be until tonight (so, about twelve hours from now).

Things are looking good! Yes, the ten turns are almost a chore now. I did not want to say so last round!

I am up for the next game, and open to ideas.

Oh yes. I played that session at 2 AM. ;)

I'm up for one as well. @Nizef, @beetle, @raider980, are you guys in?

What we've been doing with turn order is sliding it down one position every game, but I'm fine with a reshuffle as well. For the settings my only real request is that we have a good chance to secure a religion. It'd be difficult on a map like Mediterranean of the EE pack unless we play Egypt and spawn next to Sinai.

Count me in but I am on a rather tight schedule these days and maybe do not always have the opportunity to play my turns right away.

Last edited:
I’m in for the new game. Maxed out wine and incense sounds good. I always hope to be able to use that pantheon and get monasteries. Never happened in deity though. Too bad there’s not a map script that will generate a “Mediterranean like” map, a good mix of Pangea type land except with lots of odd shapes and lots of water.

Not surprisingly I'm here to offer support for a non-Pangaea type maps - Terra Incognita is still my favourite but Continents will do fine. TI maps seem to be even harder to roll than the 'normal' maps. I also prefer larger maps to std while the number of civs & CSs can be altered with liberal attitude.
In case Nizef is still limited with time ie less likely to participate the discussion and/or playing - any chance of cooking a map if needed? Nothing major but removing blocking ice & perhaps giving something that makes getting a pantheon/religion reasonable possibility. Even better if we could outsource this to someone who's following the progress but not taking part. Can Browd be bribed...

TLDR: Dom VC T274.
Spoiler for some details. I attached the file in incase anyone wants to see if we win IG. (But how could we not?) WI vote next, and while I do enjoy the AI reactions from that, I probably will not play it out. Screenshot shows the last city out.
Spoiler :

• T269 Dido steals Radio from Mecca (which I forgive); Coup in Samarkand (had 85% chance, and vote is next turn); Move veteran spy from Mecca to Hanoi; move unassigned recruit spy to Mecca; Switch Carthage to Cargo Ship for one of the CS quests; set Pachacuti up with RA even though game will be over soon; bulb GS for Refrigeration and Ballistics into Radar; put Worker in queue at Medina for road quest in; Beijing starts on CR; uncheck Avoid Growth because where is the fun in that?
  • T270 Ashurbanipal has made peace w/ Ramkhamhaeng, so that is a shame; adopt Fortified Borders but we don’t have Castles like I would have thought, so it is a waste; capture and raze Xochicalco (on our continent); Almaty blocks my taking Texcoco with Worker; liberate Kwadukuza and Makassar because it amuses me to force the AIs to be a bit grateful. Of course we don‘t have OB with Indonesia, so that breaks up the CA troops.
  • T271 Ramkhamhaeng offering up a city for peace; capture Lampang then take Phitsanulok for peace, selling both to Pachacuti; capture and raze Texcoco; make peace w/ Ife; send Diplomat to Muang Saluang and move Spy to Ife.
  • T272 Dido beats us to Eiffel Tower, lol; capture and puppet Tlatelolco, since it has Brandenburg Gate.
  • T273 Six Aztec triplanes were not enough to sink our Privateer, but now Zanzibar Privateer is blocking Tlaxcala; kill Zulu spy in Mecca, which I forgive; vote against banning Sugar and one vote for IG; I don’t take any cities this turn, but next turn is set up. Also, two cities are at zero health, and might fall to our CS allies.
  • T274 Pachacuti wants to DOW Dido, I decline; Jerusalem captures and razes Calixtlahuaca; IG starts (which I set up for) and propose WI; capture and puppet Tlaxcala (because the coastal location is okay);
  • T274 Decline Pachacuti’s request to DOW Dido; Jerusalem captures Calixtlahuaca; set up for IG; propose WI; capture and puppet Tlaxcala because the coastal location is okay; capture and raze Teoctihuacan because the location is terrible; capture and puppet Tenochtitlan, eliminating Montezuma from the game.

Harun_al-Rashid_0274_AD-1880DOM.jpeg

Attachments

• Harun al-Rashid_0274 AD-1808DOM.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Well played guys.

Any chance of cooking a map if needed? Nothing major but removing blocking ice & perhaps giving something that makes getting a pantheon/religion reasonable possibility.
I can do it. I don't like adding anything to the map, but I'll remove ice blocks and play ~20 turns of each map to make sure it's decent. I should go last in turn order then and remain silent for the first 20 turns to keep it spoiler-free.

TLDR: Dom VC T294.

Not a biggie but I think you managed to finish it a bit faster ;)

Well played guys.

I can do it. I don't like adding anything to the map, but I'll remove ice blocks and play ~20 turns of each map to make sure it's decent. I should go last in turn order then and remain silent for the first 20 turns to keep it spoiler-free.

That works, too. Can you open a new thread right away so the pre-game verbal saber-rattling can take place there.

Yes, GG everyone!
That is a generous offer!
Not a biggie but I think you managed to finish it a bit faster
Oops, thanks for catching that! I corrected the typo.

Another good one! Pretty amazing that camels lasted the whole game. I always thought Keshiks were the most OP unit out there but Camels are right up there. I think I still prefer Keshiks for the movement, a few times I got a Camel caught in city bombard range because of rough terrain.

Top Bottom