• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .
Advanced Civ

Advanced Civ 1.10

An extension of K-Mod. The bulk of the changes concern the AI; a few balance changes; practically no flavor changes; no added content. Multiplayer is supported and has been tested – but not thoroughly.

Features

Rewrite of the AI parts dealing with decisions on war and peace; revision of AI relations modifiers; some rules and balance changes, mainly to address loopholes; overhaul of Barbarian placement; culture of dead civs stays in the game; various AI and usability improvements; game options "Rise & Fall" (periodically take over a different civ from the AI), "True Starts" (civs chosen based on the geography of the starting locations) and "Start Points as Handicap" (Advanced Start only for AI-controlled civs).

Please refer to the manual (not included in the main download) and the development thread for more information. Apart from that thread, there's also a forum for feedback and discussion.

Installation
Spoiler :
Copy the unzipped AdvCiv folder into Beyond the Sword\Mods under Program Files. The path of the mod's Assets folder should then be Mods\AdvCiv\Assets. When the mod is loaded for the first time, it creates a folder My Games\Beyond the Sword\AdvCiv for the BUG settings. To uninstall AdvCiv, you may want to remove this folder (in addition to the one under Program Files).

The above assumes a BtS installation from optical disc on Windows 8 or earlier, though I understand that it works the same way with the GOG.com edition and on Windows 10 and 11. Steam users need to revert to the Game Spy version in order to run AdvCiv, and the Mods folder should be in Steamapps\Common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword. On Unix-based systems, the mod can only be played through a compatibility layer or virtual machine. (These guides might help, but I haven't tried either of them: MacOS, Linux. These two posts also looks pertinent.)

To start the mod through a Windows shortcut, create a shortcut to Civ4BeyondSword.exe, open the shortcut's file properties, and add a space and mod=\AdvCiv to the Target field. In Steam, the mod name can supposedly be set through the launch options.

It is possible to play with more than 18 civs by replacing AdvCiv\Assets\CvGameCoreDLL.dll with this version of the file. However, doing so degrades performance a bit (i.e. makes AI turns take longer) in games with 18 or fewer civs, and the two DLLs are not savegame-compatible with each other.

A pack with more diverse artwork for units and cities can be obtained here: Ethnic Artstyles, put together by @DeepWell. (Does not support the “Animations Frozen” graphical option.)
  • 01 Diplo.jpg
    01 Diplo.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1,457
  • 02 Resource Trade.jpg
    02 Resource Trade.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 03 Evacuation.jpg
    03 Evacuation.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 04 Immortal Culture.jpg
    04 Immortal Culture.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 1,520
  • 05 UI Additions.jpg
    05 UI Additions.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 1,561
  • 06 AI Auto Play.jpg
    06 AI Auto Play.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 1,505
  • 07 Rise and Fall.jpg
    07 Rise and Fall.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 1,410
  • 08 True Starts.jpg
    08 True Starts.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 1,278
  • 09 SPaH.jpg
    09 SPaH.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 10 Watery Maps.jpg
    10 Watery Maps.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 1,378
Author
f1rpo
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
4.89 star(s) 9 ratings

More resources from f1rpo

Latest updates

1. v1.10

This update contains mostly just bugfixes, some significant but situational ones (listed below)...
  2. v1.09

(A slightly slower DLL allowing up to 48 civs can be downloaded here.) This rather small update...
  3. v1.08

(A slightly slower DLL allowing up to 48 civs can be downloaded here.) This update mainly...
  4. v1.07 (tweaks to Marathon, Barbarians, PerfectMongoose)

Some changes in preparation for a community game on Marathon speed (discussed in this and...
  5. v1.06 (HUD scaling, bugfixes)

(A slightly slower DLL allowing up to 48 civs can be downloaded here.) Apart from a fair number...
  6. v1.05

(A slightly slower DLL allowing up to 48 civs can be downloaded here.) • New game option "True...
  7. v1.04: Tweaks to AI war planning, fix Play Now crash.

48-civ DLL (for those who need it) AI: • About a dozen small tweaks to the UWAI (war planning)...
  8. v1.03: Fix further issues with AI war planning

This update should rein in questionable AI warfare in (especially) the late game. (Improved AI...
  9. Minor update to address AI reluctance to start wars

48-civ DLL (for those who need it) Fixed a couple of bugs in the AI evaluation of war plans...
  10. v1.01 (minor bugfixes, tweaks)

This update fixes a couple of rather minor bugs and reduces the impact of ideology (religion...

Latest reviews

Top Mod ever!
Excellent version
Awesome, keep up the great work! Deserves way more attention.

The manual and your well-referenced rationale for changes puts to shame professional developers.
Great mod
Very good
Amazing mod, this is the only mod you need to experience an improved, but not changed too much from the original, CIV4 experience. This is how CIV4 should have been from the start!
A love letter to any civ fanatic. An excellent way to update the AI performances and relive and have fun being a sovereign!
I've been attacked by 3 civs. While they arrive with decent sized armies they hasitate to attack. They keep destroying my improvements but that's about it. I cant do anything since they are unwilling to negotiate any peace treaty. pretty much a waste of time. What bothers me the most is that I cant get my friendly neighbors to help me (15+ diplomatic relations) but that's a problem in any civ game... Anything other in the MOD is well done.
f1rpo
f1rpo
Thanks for the feedback. I've just uploaded v0.89, which improves the AI logic for negotiating peace a little bit. From the GitHub log: "... in situations when the AI wants peace, but thinks that the human player wants peace more badly and therefore demands reparations (gold, tech, cities) ..., the AI now agrees to fewer reparations after a while if the human doesn't have enough to give." Can't say if this fixes the problem with the stalemate war in your game, but there certainly was a problem. I could look into the other issues (dogpiling, city attack courage, assistance for friends) if you happen to still have a savegame.
I do not play Civ VI anymore because of this mod.
Very good one !!
Top Bottom