Resource icon

Workaround when returning to main menu with R&F and some mods 2018-02-10

• This is a quick fix for the following issue:
When some mods (not all) are enabled, and when using the R&F ruleset (vanilla game is not affected), some (ie "random") DLC try to load their R&F compatibility file (like CivilizationName_Expansion1.xml) before the base data for the DLC is loaded, resulting in a DB lock because of missing references and sending the user back to main menu.

The workaround is simply a few edited .modinfo replacing the game's files, to manually set a load order of "2" for the files updating the DLCs for Rise and Fall. (A load order of "1" works too and is used in some other versions of this fix)

• IMPORTANT : this is not an universal fix, check your Modding.log before using it
Activate all DLC, R&F and the mod you have the problem with, then launch a game, and after being sent back to the main menu, open Modding.log (see How to get the logs) with any text editor (like notepad) and search for "ERROR: Failed to release save point", it'll give you a file name above like this:
Code:
[1994494.475] UpdateDatabase - Loading Data/Poland_Jadwiga_Expansion1.xml
[1994494.483] ERROR: Failed to release save point.

Note that if ANY of the "ERROR: Failed to release save point." in the log doesn't reference a file like this one (Data/[DLC]_Expansion1.xml), the fix won't work, the problem needs to be fixed elsewhere first (it should point you to a mod)

You can ignore the lines starting by "Warning", they are not relevant for the "return to main menu" issue, and Rise and Fall triggers a lot of those, even without any mods activated.

• Installation (PC)
1/ Download the attached fix.zip
2/ Extract to \Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC\ folder, replacing the existing files

If you don't know the location of your Steam folder, you can go in "Your Library" on Steam, right click on Civilization VI then choose "properties", then "local files" then "browse local files"

• Installation (Mac)
Hey, I had a very similar issue on my mac and I was able to fix it. While it’s not guaranteed to be the same issue, this sounds pretty similar to a known issue that Civ IV has with mods post-R&F. Here’s a link to a detailed explanation of the fix (w/mostly PC oriented instructions) and what it does:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/reso...ng-to-main-menu-with-r-f-and-some-mods.26701/

Now, unfortunately the fix works a little differently on Mac OSX due to how the game's files are stored. You'll want to download the fix as normal and extract it to anywhere easy to access. Then you'll want to follow these instructions from the above forum: "go in 'Your Library' on Steam, right click on Civilization VI then choose 'properties', then 'local files' then 'browse local files'". Here's where things change for Mac users.
You should be in a folder with 3 items, including "_CommonRedist", "Civilization VI", and "DLC". While the fix indicates you should replace the files within this DLC folder, that does not work on Mac, believe me. Instead, right click on the application (labelled "Civilization VI") and click "Show Package Contents". You should now see a folder with several different options, go to the folder "Assets". Within this folder is another "DLC" folder, and this is the one you will want to install your fix. Take the files from within the fix folder and drag them into this second DLC folder. It will prompt you to replace files several times, allow it to.

After you've replaced each file, you might well be done. Start the game and see if it still boots you back to the main menu when you have the mod enabled.

tl;dr here's where the folder to install the fix is on Mac
/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Civilization VI --right click->Show Package Contents--> Contents/Assets/DLC

(ALSO shoutout to Gedemon for putting me in the right direction)
  • Uninstallation
to uninstall the fix, simply Verify Integrity of Civilization game files on Steam

• This fix won't help you when:
- You have crashes to desktop
- The modding.log points to an error that is not related to a DLC file

• Other versions:
There are other version of the fix with additional information that you may want to check:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/7x8l5g/civ_6_rise_fall_dlc_momentillustrations_database/
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jt0bjpos5u18q5/AABOD2-HOBcU71m1BFksx59ga?dl=0

• Credits:
- Thanks to savio.dibi for testing, providing and editing the attached file.
- Everyone on YnAMP thread for reports and tests
Author
Gedemon
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 9 ratings

More resources from Gedemon

Latest reviews

This is nice, but i dont know if its working or not. It's only showing the error message for DLC's but it's not working for TSL earth map as i hoped it would. any thing im doing wrong?
Generaly all is good. Recently game back to main menu but now I can start map and there is a new problem with city states. If I run game with CS after the next turn game crashed to desktop. But when I turn off all DLC or CS all is right. Where is the problem? :)
Since R&F I was having epic problems with mods - I even unsubscribed from all I had, then only resubscribed to ones that had been proven working, but still no good! Tech support couldn't help. But this... brilliant!!! Thank you so damned much =D
I didn't have crash to desktop before, after installing this happens all the time :(
And before downloading I checked my log and it matched all your requirment :( now I'm having XML issues after downloading this
Gedemon
Gedemon
xml warnings are present with the base R&F DLC.
crash to desktop is another issue, not created by this.
Well done! Now I'm able to run Rise and Fall on the earth
Yea I'm getting the same problem as Jackdaw900 and Naterrama, it crashes after loading the game and it says the reason (in the modding log) has to do with loading the XML. Any fixes?
Gedemon
Gedemon
the fix won't work for "crash to desktop", only for some of the "return to main menu" cases.
thanks , but in my case , the error is not in the ""save point release", it is "Warning: LocalizedText - Error Loading XML". i still tried to replace the files in CIV IV/DLC/ folder. when i lauched the game, it didnt send me to the main menu. it was loading with sean bean indtroducing the Civ so i was full of hope, and then the game crashed and sent me directly to the desktop :(
I am getting the same error as Jackdaw900.
Thanks for this. I thought my mod wasn't working. But this fix it.
Top Bottom