[GS] “Jersey”colors

@Laurana Kanan indicated her first GS mod would be to mod back in the original colours for each civ.
Not really the "original" colors, but tailored to my own tastes/vision needs with some generally historical basis. I haven't done all of them yet, just ones that have come up so far in the couple games I've played. Only 15 thus far, plus CSs + barbarians.

The predefined colors in the PlayerDefinedColors.xml are very limited, but it looks like what FXS has done is picked many of them based off of the original Civ color palettes and then combined similar ones so they could be utilized across many different Civs. I don't know the reason for this other than it simplifies the jersey system.

If you set all jersey combos to the same values as the primary + secondary colors then each Civ will always have the same color palette.

I believe only the primary + secondary colors are utilized for units, not the alt jersey colors. However, I forgot about the changes to the unit textures/team colors. I'll need to look and see if they update with my new palettes. Other than the loading screen, the Civ icons have all updated though.

Afaik, the game can't utilize Hex shorthand, but needs the full RGB values. The Civ wiki has all the Hex values for each Civ or you can still find the RGB values in the Colors.xml, or in the various DLCs. These values still need to be used when a Civ is present in a scenario I'm assuming, for example Persia & Macedon.

Last edited:
Other than the loading screen, the Civ icons have all updated though.

It seems my Better Civ Icons works with GS just fine, both in frontend menu, loading screen, in-game, so I suppose it could be referenced. The colours apparently need a new action called UpdateColors (instead of UpdateDatabase) for it to affect the civ selection screen, but I've yet to work on the mod update to properly apply it.

If you set all jersey combos to the same values as the primary + secondary colors then each Civ will always have the same color palette.

Not what I experienced. The system automatically detected those uniform jerseys as clashing with someone else (like the "default" jersey since they all were the same), skipped them altogether and assigned jerseys from a generic fallback set of jerseys. The ubiquitous white-on-orange and green-on-yellow jerseys are part of that generic fallback set.

Anyone have the original RGB values for the pre-GS civs?

We need to find that one person who didn't get the latest patch. :p

The colours apparently need a new action called UpdateColors (instead of UpdateDatabase) for it to affect the civ selection screen, but I've yet to work on the mod update to properly apply it.
Will UpdateColors work on the selection screen if put in the FrontEndActions? Only icons with baked in colors worked pre-GS. Any in-game icons & the background colors on the loading screen update though, both pre- and post-GS.
Not what I experienced. The system automatically detected those uniform jerseys as clashing with someone else (like the "default" jersey since they all were the same), skipped them altogether and assigned jerseys from a generic fallback set of jerseys. The ubiquitous white-on-orange and green-on-yellow jerseys are part of that generic fallback set.
Works perfectly fine for me. You might not have something set up correctly.
Anyone have the original RGB values for the pre-GS civs? :p
See my post above.
The Civ wiki has all the Hex values for each Civ or you can still find the RGB values in the Colors.xml, or in the various DLCs.

It's moddable, but tedious. The colors for the new civs are defined in .../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/DLC/Expansion2/Data/Expansion2_PlayerColors.xml. Like this:

Code:
        <Row>
            <Type>LEADER_ELEANOR_ENGLAND</Type>
            <Usage>Unique</Usage>
            <PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_LT</PrimaryColor>
            <SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_WHITE_LT</SecondaryColor>
            <Alt1PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_LT</Alt1PrimaryColor>
            <Alt1SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_YELLOW_MD</Alt1SecondaryColor>
            <Alt2PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_WHITE_LT</Alt2PrimaryColor>
            <Alt2SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_MD</Alt2SecondaryColor>
            <Alt3PrimaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_RED_LT</Alt3PrimaryColor>
            <Alt3SecondaryColor>COLOR_STANDARD_BLUE_DK</Alt3SecondaryColor>
        </Row>

If you don't want alt colors, then just set the Alt1, Alt2, and Alt3 colors to be the same as the Primary colors. There are similar files for Expansion1, the other DLCs, and for the base game. I wonder if changing "Unique" to "Minor" would also work. That's how city states are listed...

I haven't tested this, of course.
Nice. I was able to change all of the expansion/DLC civs' last jerseys (Alt3) to my preferred color scheme (including all expansions and DLC). However, my changes to the base civs didn't have any effect (I edited .../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/UI/Colors/PlayerColors.xml). What do I need to do to edit the base civs' jerseys?

Nice. I was able to change all of the expansion/DLC civs' last jerseys (Alt3) to my preferred color scheme (including all expansions and DLC). However, my changes to the base civs didn't have any effect (I edited .../Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Base/Assets/UI/Colors/PlayerColors.xml). What do I need to do to edit the base civs' jerseys?
You're editing the game files directly? Not to dissuade anyone from doing what they want, but :cringe:
I wonder if changing "Unique" to "Minor" would also work. That's how city states are listed...

I haven't tested this, of course.
I'd be curious if that works as well since CSs don't use the jersey system. It would definitely make the code shorter and save time. Thankfully, I was still able to use the same code from pre-GS for CSs + Free Cities.

I got most of them from the wiki, but they don't have the original colors for Australia (orange and white). Anyone know what they were?

I got most of them from the wiki, but they don't have the original colors for Australia (orange and white). Anyone know what they were?
239,159,62,255 - Primary
237,239,237,255 - Secondary

However, I use this palette, since the orange/white combo clashes with another Civ:

0,94,63,255 - Primary
255,150,49,255 - Secondary

I just checked some alternate color schemes in multiplayer setup screen. Is Australias second scheme really gold on gold? :crazyeye:

Truthfully I don't like this system and can't figure out why they'd do it this way.
I don't mind having to remember they shifted a couple colors around to diversify the pool, but I absolutely hate the fact that there is a pool of alternate colors, and various civs will randomly shift depending on who turns up. With 40+ leaders, that's hundreds? thousands? of potential combinations to remember. That's just nuts.

This is of zero benefit to me as a player, and a lot of annoyance.

What an awful system. I tend to randomize all the Civ I play against, so I hope they just go back to default colors for each civ. This feature should have an option in the option menu in the future.

Honestly, I won't mind going through color choices for the Civ I play depending on who I'm playing, but AI getting them randomly assigned pretty awful.

Last edited:
When it comes to dealing with default Color schemas and source XML files.. i found that this little external tool (still) has the essential referencing assets & minimal properties. Controlling palettes is rather easy when such device is used to do various re-coding/inspecting tricks.
Maybe you already know about this stuff but here's the original zip (C6+RF).. which should also be fine with GS data files including "Jersey" components.

Attachments

• Civ6ColorChanger_120416.zip
    181.9 KB · Views: 286
When they (Firaxis) first mentioned the jersey system in the livestream for Canada, my impression was that it was to make reading the mini-map a little easier. So instead of a few white blobs with different coloured centres, you would have distinct colours that were easy to tell apart at a glance.

What if each civ was simply allocated a colour of their own on the mini-map? These would not even necessarily have to match the declared unit colours. You could still have a white+green Ottomans, a white+orange Georgia, white+red Canada and white+dark red England. Give each a unique mini map colour, as the units and cities in the main playing area are easy to identify without resorting to bizarre combinations.

You'd run into problems with duplicate civs / leaders, but that's how I'd approach it. The days of limited colour palettes should have died out a decade ago...

The graphs at the game conclusion use something like this for identifying civs in the line charts.

I do agree with @janboruta's suggestion below:
- implementation of jersey chooser drop-down from multiplayer into singleplayer, so the player can mix and match his preferred colour schemes

While I like the ways you guys are thinking, I think the easiest short term solution would be for the choice of jersey to be able to be locked in the graphics menu for any players who want that. I mean I appreciate all the work they have done on giving us three different colour blind systems for colour blind players; but even then, I think the one I have chosen is still changing some jerseys it doesn't need to just to accommodate my choice in the colour blind options (I saw that happen when I switched over to it - not only did it change shades which helped, but it completely swapped out some Civ's colours).

I'd love to have it so that with Civ's X, Y and Z, I will always see them in their home colours (I'd probably do that with most civs TBH, and only leave the few I know I have a hard time telling apart up to the whims of the jersey system). To me this should be implemented in SP & MP. Firaxis went to a lot of work nailing down colours that are associated with the Civ's and in my games at least 80% of that appears to have gone out the window :undecide:

Last edited:
Top Bottom