1.29f Beta 2....to install or not to install

PRIMEMOVER

Warlord
I'm very comfortable with my 1.16g CivIII running on OSX...I'm a little hesitant about upgrading it, mostly because of all the stories and reports of crashing, etc.

Anybody else had similar doubts? If I'm not playing a GOTM, is it really worth it and would it enhance what I already believe to be a spectacular game?

Honestly?

The upgrade is a no-brainer....I'd been running the beta on a relatively slow machine (G3 300 on 9.2.2) with virtually no problems. Any problems I've had have been GOTM related and always because I didn't do a proper install with game files.

Just do it!!!!

Originally posted by PRIMEMOVER
I'm very comfortable with my 1.16g CivIII running on OSX...I'm a little hesitant about upgrading it, mostly because of all the stories and reports of crashing, etc.

Anybody else had similar doubts? If I'm not playing a GOTM, is it really worth it and would it enhance what I already believe to be a spectacular game?

Honestly?

Absolutely! :goodjob: The original version (1.16f) is flawed from problems w/ armies not healing at the right rate to the commercial civ trait being under powered plus its missing many commands that make game-play easier, such as group movement. There are a host of other things, including SAMs do not work at all in 1.16f. I believe the crashes are more likely related to machine issues, not the upgrade. People w/ 1.16f had crashes as well.

Originally posted by PRIMEMOVER

1.29 beta 2 should be rock-solid, or at least as solid as any version before it, and certainly more stable than 1.16f.

I submitted a final version of the 1.29f patch to MacSoft last week, so hopefully it'll kick out before too long.

Originally posted by Brad Oliver

I submitted a final version of the 1.29f patch to MacSoft last week, so hopefully it'll kick out before too long.

Great news, thanks Brad!

Originally posted by Brad Oliver

1.29 beta 2 should be rock-solid, or at least as solid as any version before it, and certainly more stable than 1.16f.

Absolutely. 1.29 beta 2 is solid as a rock here, but I used to get frequent hangs and crashes with 1.16 and 1.21.

Great! Anything new in it, Brad? Did you ever get to the bottom of that slow-down between turns? It still happens here very occasionally, and a save/relaunch fixes it.

Originally posted by AlanH
Great! Anything new in it, Brad? Did you ever get to the bottom of that slow-down between turns? It still happens here very occasionally, and a save/relaunch fixes it.

Only new things are some more widescreen resolution choices and the ability to specify a custom resolution in case Apple releases 2048x2048 displays in the future or something. ;)

As for the slowdown, I don't think I fixed it as I could never replicate it.

For what it's worth, I haven't had a slowdown or freeze since upgrading to a new widescreen iMac. I'm told that my lil ole graphite iMac may have had a logic board problem. Any time I tried to do something more complex than use email or surf the web, it crashed.

For now, GOTM and 1.29f Beta 2 is very satisfying.

Okay, has anybody else noticed this problem: "invisible" ground units... aren't. I made a special operations unit, designed it so it could sneak over land and be the eyes to call in air strikes for bomber runs. He goes over rough terrain, not even roads (much less railroads), but he seems to be dressed in homing devices because the other guys will try to attack even before he gets out of my territory (assuming my covert unit is a barbarian, I suppose). "Invisible" seemed to work in 1.21, but it's broken in 1.29. Anybody else have this problem?

Originally posted by ejday
Okay, has anybody else noticed this problem: "invisible" ground units... aren't. I made a special operations unit, designed it so it could sneak over land and be the eyes to call in air strikes for bomber runs. He goes over rough terrain, not even roads (much less railroads), but he seems to be dressed in homing devices because the other guys will try to attack even before he gets out of my territory (assuming my covert unit is a barbarian, I suppose). "Invisible" seemed to work in 1.21, but it's broken in 1.29. Anybody else have this problem?

Hey ejday! Where ya been?

Could have something to do w/ the editor being for 1.21g bics rather than 1.29f bics? I know movement and range changes through the editor work in 1.29f.

Originally posted by dojoboy
Hey ejday! Where ya been?
Life, amigo. Work, trying to get published, and a wife that feels neglected if play Civ for more than 48 hours in a row...
Could have something to do w/ the editor being for 1.21g bics rather than 1.29f bics? I know movement and range changes through the editor work in 1.29f.
Dunno. That's a distinct possibility but I'm not code savvy. Brad ever come round these parts now that he's got that new gig? Anybody else delve into the mystical 1s and 0s?

Dunno. That's a distinct possibility but I'm not code savvy. Brad ever come round these parts now that he's got that new gig? Anybody else delve into the mystical 1s and 0s?

If you want to cough up a sample file that reproduces it, I can see what I can find.

Looks like Brad is still in the land of Civ3. Old habits die hard, eh, Brad?

I also have delved into the BIC format sufficiently to be able to analyse most of it if you have a need ....

Brad Oliver - the ace porter of Civ3 to Mac - has stated that his last act (or one of them) prior to leaving Westlake to join Aspyr was to check in the final changes for the 1.29f release. See another thread around these parts. So you can expect a 1.29 release of Civ3, though I get the impression there will be no new features compared with 1.29b2.

1,29b2 is worth the upgrade price ;) just for its stability, IMHO.

Originally posted by williamiv
Anything more specific on the availability of 1.29f (post beta)?

You'd have to ask MacSoft at this point. I submitted it to them last week, so they're likely sending it through QA. However, I suspect with Age of Mythology just wrapping up and Halo just entering full beta that their QA staff is a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Top Bottom