100+ Killed in India Bombings

Esox said:
Horrible and senseless. Sorry if this is common knowledge to some, but is there a history of violence/terrorism of this kind in India? I know there are tensions, but it's the first civilian bombing I've heard of.
Yes, there is, though not usually to this extent. See this page on terrorism in India.

Winner said:
All are prime numbers?
Aegis noted that it seemed like all of the major attacks happened on the 11th. I was refuting that.

jalapeno_dude said:
Aegis noted that it seemed like all of the major attacks happened on the 11th. I was refuting that.

I know, it is just an observation. Of course, we all know there is no pattern in their attacks. They simply strike when they can.

Its most likley Islamic terroists backed by Pakistan. Proably the LeT, they are the ones who typically carry out these types of attacks. Once it becomes clear as to who did this there should be a harsh response. The newspapers here say that there are links to Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Students Islamic Movement of India (SMIC). The papers say that the trains were plotted by Lakshar modules with collabaratiom by SMIC. (Times of India)

Too often have Paksitani backed terroists waged war against India using Pakistani training camps, weaponry and intelliegence. Pakistan has been able to time and time again get away with using terroisim to wage war against India. It is time we retaliate in kind. We should support Baluchistani rebels, and other various sepratist groups within Pakistan who have been known to carry out such attacks. Let Pakistan get a taste of its own medicaine and see how it likes it. If Paksitan chooses to wage war on India by terroism then India will do the same on Pakistan.

Too often INdian governments have been too incompetent or too scared to take any aggressive measures against terrorists in Pakistan occupied Kashmir, preferring instead to extend in a bit of pointless sabre-rattling that gets them a few column inches in newspapers....

Nor has adequate pressure been placed on Pakistan to close the camps on their side of the border, internationally or otherwise.

The only time when aggressive action was taken was in mobilizing troops after the politicos themselves had been attacked, that is the Parliament was attacked..

I suppose the ordinary INdian's live is not worth protecting as long as they have the secure protection of Z-class security!!:mad:

From the Guardian:

Two of the main Muslim militant groups operating in Kashmir today denied involvement in yesterday's train attacks in Mumbai, which killed at least 183 people and injured some 700.

... a spokesman purporting to be from one of the most prominent groups, Lashkar-e-Taiba, denied any role in the bombings of the crowded trains and train stations which brought devastation to India's financial hub during evening rush hour.

The caller condemned the attacks, describing them as "inhuman and barbaric acts". He went on: "Islam does not permit the killing of innocent people. Blaming LeT for such inhuman acts is an attempt by the Indian security agencies to defame Kashmiri mujahideens."

Another leading Kashmiri group, Hizb-ul-Mujahideen, denounced the bomb attacks as "outrageous", saying it abhorred the killing of civilians. Reuters reported the group's spokesman, Ehsan Elahi, saying from Islamabad: "Attacks on civilians are not part of our manifesto. We never carried out such attacks nor will allow anyone to do so."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/india/story/0,,1818564,00.html

Let's not be hasty.

It does seem odd that one of these Islamist groups would do this then deny responsibility. Isn't the whole point of terrorism to make people afraid of what you can do, and isn't that hard if they don't think it was you? It makes me wonder who really was responsible.

Lashkar-e-Toiba is a terrorist group active in Kashmir and it also fights against India with the goal of restoring Islamic rule in India. It has committed mass murders of Hindu civilians.[1]. The Lashkar leadership describes Hindus and Jews as the main enemies of Islam, claiming India and Israel to be the main enemies of Pakistan.[2]. Lashkar-e-Toiba, along with Jaish-e-Mohammed, another terrorist group active in Kashmir are on the United States's foreign terrorist organizations list. They are also designated as terrorist groups by the UK[3], India, Australia[4]and Pakistan.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamist_terrorism#Organizations

Lakshar-e-Taiba has had no qualms about killing civillians before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lashkar-e-Toiba

24 September 2002 - Machine Gun attack on Hindu temple in Ahmedabad, India. 31 dead, 86 injured

The Lashkar-e-Toiba terrorist group has repeatedly claimed through its journals and websites that its main aim is to destroy the Indian republic and annihilate Hinduism

India accuses Lashkar of involvement in the December 13, 2001 attack on the Parliament of India in New Delhi and also in the serial bomb blasts in Mumbai on July 11, 2006[citation needed].

The Hizbul Mujahideen (حزب المجاھدین) (created 1989) is a terrorist group active in Kashmir. Its headquarters are at Muzaffarabad, Pakistani-administered Kashmir. The current leader of the group is known under the nickname Sayeed Salahudeen, a native from Kashmir. On 30 November 2005 Hizbul Mujahideen is named on the European Union's terrorism list. [1][2] EU member states are obliged to impose restrictive measures such as freezing of funds and assets of persons and groups named in the list. [3] Hizbul Mujahideen is currently the biggest jihadi group operating in Kashmir, and are widely considered by sources on both sides of the Kashmiri conflict to be the most indigenous and widely-supported terrorist group active in Kashmir. The group has claimed responsibility of carrying out several terrorist attacks against Indian civilians and Indian Army units. They also have ties with the Pakistani and Kashmiri political party, Jamaat-e-Islami and Pakistan's intelligence organistaion, ISI.

Neither group has shown any great deal of restraint when it comes to killing civllians. Frankly I am skeptical of their denial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hizbul_Mujahideen

Why are you skeptical of their denial? I thought that the whole point of terrorist attacks was to draw attention. Denying them would be counterproductive.

Perhaps they realize that there will be a large outpouring of anger, and harsher measures taken against them in retalaition for one of the biggest attacks I believe India has ever suffered.

silver 2039 said:
Perhaps they realize that there will be a large outpouring of anger, and harsher measures taken against them in retalaition for one of the biggest attacks I believe India has ever suffered.

Then why do it in the first place? I thought that taking responsibility was something usually done right afterwards, so they would have done it before hypothetically they saw that reaction would be worse than expected.

If they admitted previous attacks but not this one, it does seem to justify some skepticism about who did it.

Maybe there's a new group or maybe something more sinister. Were there any odd movements on the rupee (both Pakistani and Indian) or shares? There were on the pound before the 7/7 London attacks.

Xenocrates said:
Were there any odd movements on the rupee (both Pakistani and Indian) or shares? There were on the pound before the 7/7 London attacks.

yes there was an odd movement. The BSE sensex went up by 315 points. Go figure! :)

Hmm that scuppers that idea then.

I mean that ever since history began, people have been prepared to kill for money. I know they kill for 'freedom' and 'independence' as well but it was worth considering a financial motive.

Let me use this opportunity to tell that families of the victims that Islam is a religion of peace , that it could never be responsible for something like this . No Muslim could have ever done something like this . I bet it's the . . . . . Jews . Or maybe the Hindus did it to themselves to make the Muslims look bad ?

The Indian government has decided not to let it go , this time . It has cracked down on SIMI ( Students' Islamic movement of India ) , a banned organisation which gives support to terrorists .

Link

Mumbai blasts: ATS detains 200 people

Press Trust of India / Mumbai July 13, 2006

At least 200 people, mostly activists of Students' Islamic Movement of India (SIMI), have been detained from Mumbai and various parts of Maharashtra by the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) for questioning in connection with Tuesday's serial bomb blasts in the city, the police said today.

In an overnight drive by the city police, railway stations, lodges and hotels were searched and suspected activists of SIMI rounded up from their homes, sources said adding that the detained people would be interrogated to collect clues regarding the blasts.

ATS chief K P Raghuvanshi said several persons have been rounded up yesterday night, but no one has been arrested yet. "It is a routine procedure of investigation and the detained will be interrogated in connection with the blasts," Raghuvanshi added.

Sources in DGP's office said that similar searches were conducted at hotels and lodges and activists of the Islamic student body rounded up in various parts of Marathwada and Konkan regions - traditional SIMI strongholds.

Over 200 people died and 750 were injured in seven blasts that ripped off first class compartments of western railway suburban trains on Tuesday evening. Police suspect that the bombs were placed in leather bags and kept in luggage racks, and went off in a span of 20 minutes.

But I am sure this is consipiracy by the Hindu government of India to persecute the poor Muslims of India . SIMI were nice people . Honest .

While it wouldn't suprise me if Muslim terrorist groups (all too easily does this term get lost in these debates) were behind the attacks, I think their denial is resonable grounds for skepticism.

Top Bottom