2 new AA guns

German Lonewolf said:
OK, thats exactly what I am looking for,

so my question is, what do I have to do, to build a unit which is only available for germany...

thx
create a new unit: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=139721

copy the ....\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file into your new mod directory and search for the line :

Code:
			<Units>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_TANK</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_GERMAN_PANZER</UnitType>
				</Unit>
			</Units>

and add your new unit:

Code:
			<Units>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_TANK</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_GERMAN_PANZER</UnitType>
				</Unit>
				<Unit>
					<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_xyz</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>UNIT_xyz</UnitType>
				</Unit>
			</Units>

Danke GIR, jetzt hab ich genau die Info die ich schon lange suche...

thx

Great units, VERY nice work. I'm using the Flak88 and have a problem with an endless audio loop - I understand that sound effects are part of unit animations? I'm using Artillery animations and sounds - but I've turned off all the sounds for this unit and still I get this looped idle sound, rather like a loud 'ticking' sound. Anyone else experience this?

Also, on a historical note regarding the famous German 88mm gun:

It was originally conceived as an AA gun - hence the extremely high-profile mount, necessary for using the gun against aircraft with the tube in a near-vertical position. However, it was discovered early on that the gun made a nasty anti-tank weapon because of accuracy and caliber. Armor-piercing ammunition was developed for it, making it a wicked anti-tank weapon. No other gun matched it's anti-tank performance until very late in the war. the '88' was incorporated into tank design on the German heavy tanks and heavy tank destroyers. Despite it's very high profile (thus making it less 'tactical' and an easier target for the enemy), it was used extensively in the anti-tank role throughout the war. The tanks of the period, especially early in the war, either had a small-caliber high velocity gun or a large-caliber low velocity gun, due to the doctrinal beliefs in effect before the war. The '88' had greater range and firepower than either and could knock off enemy tanks before they ever got into effective range. Many early WW2 tanks had thin armor and were easy targets even using non-AP rounds. After AP rounds were available, even the heaviest Allied tank armor could be penetrated by the 88. This gun performed admirably throughout the war, was greatly feared by the Allies, and earned a reputation that still resounds even today.

The PaK 43 model 88mm was designed specifically as a true anti-tank gun, after the sucess of the 88mm Flak, with a traditional low profile armored mount. In addition the gun was of longer caliber and thus had a much higher muzzle velocity and greatly improved penetrating power. These were only produced in small numbers towards the end of the war.

Towards the end and after World War 2, several things changed to make anti-tank guns obsolete. Tanks themselves now carried large, long-range guns, and anti-tank guns were at a disadvantage due to their immobility and lack of full armor protection. Also, anti-tank rockets and missiles, pioneered by the German Panzerfaust and US Bazooka, were improving fast in the areas of effective range, penetrating power, and guidance systems. Anti-tank guided missiles that were cheap, extremely accurate, could be fired by one or two men, and were powerful enough to knock out any current tank, spelled the end for anti-tank guns. Now every infantry unit could have a powerful intrinsic anti-tank capability, and anti-tank artillery became a relic of the past.

Man I should write this stuff for a living...

I'd like to see this same model but with a tan desert coloring and the gun in a horizontal position, so that it could be used as an AT weapon. While we're on the same subject, a really nice AT gun unit would be the German Pak 38 50mm gun, commonly used in the middle of the war. This would be a nice generic AT gun unit with it's traditional 'look'. The Russsian 76mm AT gun would be a good choice as well.

Good news for you: A reliable source says both myself and Asioasioasio have multiple types of artillery (from WW1 through to modern times) in the works.

As for the audio loop, it's caused by the unit not being animated, it's just a model. To remove the looping sound just change the audio tags at the bottom of the art_defines_unit section for the unit to NONE (or equivalent). That should fix your problem.

Aye I've done that, I have no sounds associated with the unit. And now I find that my Cruise Missile does the same thing.

Isn't there a sound event tied to the _idle.kfm, that is not user-configurable in XML ?

And, new units coming forth sounds great!

-c

I'd really love an AA Gun model. This one looks great, but being unanimated means it doesn't really work. I've scoured through this forum, and can't find a functional AA (well there is one, but it's over 3000 Polygons), or even a WWI style arty peice, wich I could use as an AA fine.

Anychance someone out there modelling, could give an AA Gun (or oldschool arty) a chance? Or animating this one would be awesome.

An MLRS is crucial as well. It'd be cool to have a functioning AA and MLRS instead of another tank or jet. Don't get me wrong, tanks and jets are cool, but we have a huge hole in Technology for a WW1 style AA unit, and plenty of tanks from the WW2 era to use already.

Nice AA guns. SAM's are nice, but you can't replace cold hard steel. Any thoughts of making a AA on tracks?

Attachments

• gepard.jpg
    gepard.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 209
What kind of unit class which you guys base this unit on? Artillery? And, what about the animation file? Cheers!

I get two 40MM guns in-game, but your screenshot shows just one. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it because I used the same nif for shadernif?

Sorry for the bump, but I would love to know how to get these babies in the game without a kfm file. Do I need one? I found a mod that had a lightAA.kfm. Can I just use that kfm for the flak88 as well? I will try it anyway.

Yeah, you'll need one. It's one of the existing units (coming with civ4), but hard to say which one. Either it is written somewhere in this thread or the modder provided a readme or something. If not, you'll need to find it out by your own. If sharick used the skeleton of an existing unit for animation purposes, you might get hints by opening the nif with nifskope and taking a look at the nodes names. If this doesn't provide information, you'll need to try around. As old as these units are, the kfm is probably from a vanilla unit. Haven't looked it up whether Warlords was out already, BtS wasn't. Try units that are similar to this one. Other units won't work in any case. For instance, an archers animation will never work with an artillery. BTW: the vanilla art is packed. There are fpk's or something that can be unpacked with a certain program. Search the utility section of the filedb. I think the program is called PakBuild.

Thanks. I know about the pakbuild. I will just open trial and error with artillery units from the vanilla game. Good call on the nods. I will see what I can find. I am not the expert with nifscope just yet. Thanks again.

Top Bottom