2010 NHL offseason thread

For me its more like the Sutterpocalypse.

What are the Blackhawks at now? With all the trades they've made I would think they had gotten rid of a fair bit of cap space by now.
Well, according to capgeek.com we got hit with $4.19 million in carry over bonus penalty to the cap. Conn Smythe cost Ladd.

We have 13 players signed for $55.371 cap hit (with bonus killer) meaning we have $4.093 million in space for Hjammer, Niemi and the other RFA's.

Once the season starts, my guess is we'll send Huet and his $5.625 cap hit to the minors so it clears 2011 space and we can sign next year's big RFA B. Seabrook (and likely Brouwer too). 2011 looks much better than right now.

Just took a read through the Flames message board. Lets just say a phrase that rhymes with "tire mutter" comes up a lot.

I haven't been down this way in quite some time - 'tis the time of year to try to get outside (but now the World Cup is getting in the way of that).

After a strong first round, I did pretty miserably in the later rounds. :lol:

(not entirely unlike my Canucks :()

Even though its only June, I'm curious. How many people here would be interested in an NHL fantasy league come next fall? I noticed a lot of people participating in the playoff thread, so I figure we could get quite a few. Last year we didn't have enough interest to get one started, and the year before that only 6, so the CFCFHL has been getting less and less activity each year.
If I'm around, I'd be up for a fantasy league.

Thoughts on off-season action so far:

Vancouver: Yay! We got the 3rd line centre we need, even if we overpaid a bit. We got the defensive upgrade we needed (especially in durability), and Bieksa is probably on his way out - something many would say also improves the defense. I'm also happy with having a full-time goalie coach again; Luongo performed much better in that situation than with only a part-time goalie coach.

Chicago: I can't say I'm disappointed to see them blown up. They had a great team this year but I still want to see them taken down. (sorry Whomp)

Kovalchuk: what's the hold-up? Not enough money? Not a long enough term?

Calgary: There's not much to say here...

edit: The above picture also applies to the Rangers for signing Boogaard to a 4 year 1.65 mil/year contract.

Anaheim

C Saku Koivu (2 years, $5 million)

Buffalo

D Jordan Leopold (3 years, $9 million)

Calgary

RW Tim Jackman (2 years, $1.1 million)
LW Raitis Ivanans (2 years, $1.2 million)

Dallas

RW Adam Burish (2 years, $2.3 million)

Florida

LW Chris Higgins (1 year, $1.6 million)

Minnesota

C Matt Cullen (3 years, $10.5 million)

New Jersey

G Johan Hedberg (1 year, $1.5 million)

Tampa Bay

D Pavel Kubina (2 years, $7.7 million)

Vancouver

LW Jeff Tambellini (1 year)

Kovalchuk: what's the hold-up? Not enough money? Not a long enough term?

Apparently only the Kings and Devils are in the race. Kovalchuk is probably still holding out for that $10 million per year long term deal, with both sides refusing. So unless he drops his price down, its off the Russia with him.

Two years ago down the stretch I began browsing the Flames message board in my off hours. At the time they were squandering a 12 point division lead. My hobby continued through this year as they missed the playoffs and traded off some of their proudest assets for squabble. Now I bear witness as they resign all the players that led to each disaster. The Flames are an endless source of entertainment for this Vancouverite. Long live King Sutter.

rumours are Kovalchuk wants 10 million over 12 years. For a one dimensional player who only put up 80 odd points, I have no idea why any team would bite.

There is also a rumour about Filatov coming to Vancouver. This excites me to no end.

There is also a rumour about Filatov coming to Vancouver. This excites me to no end.
Filatov would have a cap hit of $2.195 million. The Canucks have $1.95 million of cap space with 21 players signed so who would have to go? Bieksa, maybe?

I'd think it could make you guys awfully solid with that move.

Adria said:
Chicago: I can't say I'm disappointed to see them blown up. They had a great team this year but I still want to see them taken down. (sorry Whomp)
Yeah, it looks like it will make for a more difficult 2010. 2011 will be quite a different story. Hopefully, we'll see some great development from some of the youth we acquired.

I don't know if many of you know the story on Chris Didomenico but it's awe inspiring. I hope he gets a chance. This was written by a Chicago writer in March even before we got him.
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/...ris-didomenico-and-the-value-of-perseverance/

Filatov would have a cap hit of $2.195 million. The Canucks have $1.95 million of cap space with 21 players signed so who would have to go? Bieksa, maybe?

Thats the rumour. The Canucks have too many defencemen signed, so they will have to move one out.

Flames also have too many defencemen, so I'm waiting to see how badly that turns out.

The general thought is either:
1) Ehrhoff for Filatov
-or-
2) Bieksa + x for Filatov

I would take 2 in heart beat if x is someone not named Hodgson or Shroeder. Whatever happens, Bieksa will be gone by October.

^ I think Erhoff is more wishful thinking on Columbus' part than anything else. After the season he just had, I don't see Gillis moving Erhoff.

Bieksa is the guy fans want to see go. Edler and Erhoff have potential to grow into a true #1 dman yet and are very unlikely to be moved. Salo has an NTC. O'Brien, Rome, and Alberts wouldn't dump much salary (unless you moved at least 2 of them) or get much back in a trade. And with Salo still around, depth at D has to be maintained.

The Canucks only 'big' signing left to get done is to get Raymond (RFA) signed to a new contract. O'Brien was also qualified; I don't know what the plans are for him. #6 maybe, if/when Bieksa goes, and Rome as #7? That leaves Alberts as #8 on the depth chart.

I didn't realize Didomenico broke his femur; that's a really tough injury to come back from. Good on him for perservering through everything. It sounds like he should be a good character guy to have around.

Interesting rumour has popped up about the Islanders entering the Kovalchuk race. They certainly have the cap space. And with all the young players they have coming up in the next few years, it could be interesting.

Interesting rumour has popped up about the Islanders entering the Kovalchuk race. They certainly have the cap space. And with all the young players they have coming up in the next few years, it could be interesting.

Meh... Kovalchuck left Atlanta because he wanted to be on a winning team. Wouldn't signing with Islanders defeat that purpose? Is this team future all that more glitter than the Thrashers?

Nabokov goes back to Russia.

Kings apparently back in and out of the Kovalchuk race. Ilya still hasn't signed.

And the first offer sheet is out:

Sharks have signed Niklas Hjalmarsson (Chicago) to a $14 mil/4 year offer sheet. If the 'Hawks don't match, they get (late) 1st and 3rd round draft picks. If the 'Hawks do match...well, they'd have $113,410 to sign a goalie, defenseman, and 3 forwards (as per capgeek & a poster on hfboards).

I saw that today and it seems like the Sharks are playing poker here. Tough stuff and the way d-men are going it's probably a good price in the latter part of the contract.

The cap space thing that cap geek quotes seems quite a bit different from what the second city hockey collective bargaining cap nerds are saying.

I haven't actually double-checked the cap numbers for the Hawks. They're 3.6 mil from the cap now, aren't they? That's without matching the offer sheet (3.5 mil per year).

And it definitely looks like a bit of poker. Everyone knows Chicago's cap situation. It was only a matter of time before someone sent an offer sheet their way.

Top Bottom