• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

2014 NCAA Football Thread

Recruiting is really important, and it's pretty fascinating. I'm 100% sure that if I followed it I would be really really into it, which is why I don't really follow it: It's creepy . . .

And there weren't a ton of first-round draft picks on the field Sunday either. You know why? Each team only gets one first round draft pick per year. One of life's little idiosyncrasies -- there's more talent on the field in a matchup between two CFB powers than two NFL powers bc the NFL spreads the talent around among all the teams, while CFB teams are allowed to collect all they can get . . .

Just as an aside, there were no previous 5 star recruits that played in the Superbowl this last Sunday, and only a handful of 4 star ones.

Developing talent is probably even more important than signing it.

There was a five star recruit in the Super Bowl! Christine Michael, the backup RB for the Seahawks, was a 5 star recruit for Texas A&M. :) The Seahawks had two until they traded Percy Harvin.

Couple more recruiting fun facts related to the Super Bowl, in order for Texas A&M to land TE Martellus Bennett, we had to promise to offer a scholarship to his little known brother, now Seahawks DE Michael Bennett... they were one of those recruiting package deals.

Also, outside of Michael Bennett, the other three Aggies that were on the Seahawks Super Bowl roster, RB Christine Michael, DB Steven Terrell and OL Patrick Lewis, were all from the same Texas A&M recruiting class, the class of 2009. Which was not a top 25 class.

Just as an aside, there were no previous 5 star recruits that played in the Superbowl this last Sunday, and only a handful of 4 star ones.

Developing talent is probably even more important than signing it.

Yeah, which makes sense, since there are very few five star prospects, *period*. NFL cap rules put a premium on making sure you find good players in the later rounds of the NFL draft, and both Seattle and New England were excellent at that. Also, since the modern ratings era only goes back to 2006, many players on these teams couldn't have been rated anyway.

You know who did have a bunch of four and five star players? Everybody in the college football playoff. Alabama, Ohio State and Florida State are about as loaded, star-wise, as anybody in the country...as has everybody who has won a college football championship over the last several years. There is also a direct, nearly linear correlation between star ratings and wins over the last few years.

It isn't a perfect system, but it is very, very good. You don't win at an elite level without elite talent.

5 star Daylon Mack's text inbox screenshot leaked online, and he eliminates Texas from the running.

Spoiler :

RB Soso Jamabo also has told Texas no thanks.

National Signing Day is kind of a quiet event, to be honest. The real drama, outside for a few kids per school, is in the months ahead of NSD.

A quiet event? ESPN is televising it. I'd say that qualifies it as more than a quiet event.

Speaking of, how do the Ohio State faithful feel about Urban Meyer bringing oversigning to the Big Ten . . ?

Not that big of a deal to me. I've never had a problem with oversigning in general.

Plus, right now they are at 89 players, but OSU is expecting to see some players at the bottom of the depth chart seek playing opportunities elsewhere, which could be one reason for oversigning. This is especially true since the Buckeyes are overstacked at certain positions (linebacker and both offensive and defensive lineman come to mind).

A quiet event? ESPN is televising it. I'd say that qualifies it as more than a quiet event.
Well, they televise the WNBA too haha.

I get why it's so important, but most schools only have 2-3 kids, if that, who are committing on that day. For Ohio State, for example, Friday Night Lights is 10x more important than NSD (where only two kids are committing, and Ohio State is really only in for one of them).

Speaking of, how do the Ohio State faithful feel about Urban Meyer bringing oversigning to the Big Ten . . ?

Yeah, I wrote about that today too.

I haven't heard much complaining, since like Commodore said, the staff knows of a fair amount of transfers coming. I know at least one player on this team is not coming back next year due to injury. The chagrin is when fans perceive that a coach is "pushing" players out. I think Ohio State gets back to 85 kids well before August. They were prepared to take as many as 28 kids in this class, so I know transfers are coming.

Or OSU will pull a Bear Bryant, Tennis team RELOAD!

:joke: I know that's illegal now.

And just like that, Meyer alludes to three guys on defense that are likely to not retire for medical reasons. Add another transfer at RB or LB, and the Buckeyes are back a 85.

Yep, that's the same way do it. But when we do it everyone insists it's sinister . . .

EDIT: The big news for 'bama today was that we got a kid from Mississippi. First one since 2011 . . .

Rece Davis to replace Chris Fowler on GameDay . . .

Sorry. Alabama grad Rece Davis to replace Chris Fowler on GameDay. SEC BIAS :run:

Yep, that's the same way do it. But when we do it everyone insists it's sinister . . .

EDIT: The big news for 'bama today was that we got a kid from Mississippi. First one since 2011 . . .

Don't worry, this is one non-SEC fan who never criticized anyone in that conference for oversigning.

In fact, I kind of dislike that it is even called "oversigning". Calling it that gives it a negative connotation, which is unfair since I don't think the practice of oversigning is carried out with any disingenuous intentions on the part of the coaching staff. I mean, sure at the time it happens it looks like the team is signing too many players, but really it is just the coach recruiting guys to replace anticipated losses from transfers or injuries. Sometimes the coach is wrong about how many players he is going to lose and that creates an uncomfortable situation for all involved, but it's not like there is any ill-will or malice behind the practice.

Oh it definitely happens. Say you get a commit early then fill that need with someone better later, you're not going to pull the first guy's spot. You might give him some nudging, ask him to grayshirt or whatever, but you're not going to rescind your offer. And if he doesn't take the hint then he's likely to be a casualty later. Or say there's a great guy at a position you don't need, but your rival does, you may want to grab him up if you can. Recruiting is shady business. Everywhere . . .

Personally, I think it's an unethical practice if the decision for the kid to leave isn't 100% made from the kid. If a school offers a kid, then just recruits a better kid and tries to push him out (or takes away his offer, tries to greyshirt, etc)...I think that's wrong. There isn't any evidence that Meyer has done that during his tenure at Ohio State. Jim Tressel actually did it a few times, but Urban hasn't. Louisville, WVU and others HAVE during this cycle, and I think that's gross.

Going a few over the limit to accommodate injuries or playing time transfers is perfectly fine, in my view. I don't have any inside information on any other additional injury transfers (the guy that I knew was gone was already mentioned), but I suspect at least two guys are going to leave for playing time reasons.

Before we get too comfortable on the ol' high horse, Ohio State's running backs coach left for the Bears the day after NSD, right after staying up until 1 AM recruiting a RB who was verrry close to going to Michigan. I feel really bad for the kid now, since I doubt OSU will release him from his LOI.

Last recruiting tidbit: Think somebody other than Alabama is gonna get the consensus #1 recruiting class in the country next season. I'd wager either USC, Florida State, or Ohio State.

I can see a young guy wearing a Auburn jersey or something at HS for about 8 months thinking he is going there because of his LOI... then finding out the day before committment day they want him to grey shirt. I would be one furious dad. :mad:

Surely they know a little before that.

I don't really have a problem with oversigning, I was just pointing out the "X is horrible unless we're doing it too, then it's okay" mentality that all fans have :dunno:

And I agree the coaching transfers right after kids get locked in is worse, but both would be resolved if players had more freedom to transfer . . .

Is there any thought as to why verbals are taken so much more seriously in basketball than football? Is it just because football makes more money so there's more pressure to win, or is it because there are fewer players on each team, or what? I'd be more critical of CFB recruiting practices if the athletes took their commitments more seriously . . .

EDIT: Oh, and we can't have the best recruits every year. I'm surprised there isn't already more talk about how long Saban is going to stay before he retires or moves to broadcasting. He won't be there forever, and when recruits start to realize that, we'll take a hit until the next guy proves himself . . .

We only have three guys so far for 2016, and one of them is from Mississippi, so we know what's going to happen there. The sky is falling :run:

Combine list is out

I know this has no place in the CFB thread, but it's just mind-boggling to me . . :

Alabama beat Auburn 197.325 to 196.825 in gymnastics Friday night to extend our winning streak to 111 consecutive matches over a thirty-five year span. I mean, that's quite a streak . . .

I know this has no place in the CFB thread, but it's just mind-boggling to me . . :

Alabama beat Auburn 197.325 to 196.825 in gymnastics Friday night to extend our winning streak to 111 consecutive matches over a thirty-five year span. I mean, that's quite a streak . . .

That is quite a streak. You'd think Auburn would get lucky at least once in the past 35 years.

As a side note: I must admit that I am following the gymnastics scene a little more these days since my daughter started doing gymnastics on her third birthday.

Top Bottom