Football Thread No. 9

Ireland somehow got the three points. :eek:

Very good start for Switzerland with an away win at Slovenia and Norway loosing at the same time in Iceland. Now, if they don't qualify in this group E* directly, I don't know how they could ever do that...

*Norway, Switzerland, Slovenia, Albania, Cyprus, Iceland

As people were saying before, Norway are top seeds and therefore one of Europe's mightier sides; the Swiss are surely unlucky to have them rather than inferior teams like Spain, Italy and Germany.

Anyway, time for Scotland to give up playing football. That's another campaign off to a terrible start. The manager is on his last legs. If anything other than a win happens in the Macedonia game, Levein has to go. The Scottish strengths are in midfield, we have a defense on par with Latvia and Finland level teams; we shouldn't be playing like this. Strachan is obvious replacement, we need to get him before he gets back into club management.

Yes, I know, we were incredibly lucky in our draw. Still, I'm looking forward to how our Swiss National Team will screw that up, even after that incredible first matchday...

Levein is still the coach, I don't watch Scotchland games anymore.

Scotland should get Strachan. He is a great manager, he had a brilliant time at Southampton FC. It was awful when Rupert Lowe (former Saints FC chairman) basically incapitated Strachan in the transfer market which made his position virtually impossible and had to leave.
Probably one of the better pundits in TV land (although thats not saying much is it?:p) ;)

LOL, I am not sure Strachan is a great manager, I know someone who did some work for Middlesboro, from what he heard from the players, they were not too impressed with him.

Apparently he told the defenders to decide amonsgst themselves what system they were going to play.

In fairness, Middlesbrough's problems were inherited by Strachan. A lot of overpaid overvalued and under-performing players at the heart of the squad, who Strachan alienated by, among other things, bringing in too many of his own men; subsequently they got injured too often.

As Celtic manager he had the best record since Jock Stein; and got out the group stage of the CL twice (losing only to winners AC Milan in extra time and Barcelona). The big plus for Strachan as Scotland manager is the credibility he has at that level with the players; as a successful Old Firm manager and former world class player himself.

He is a great manager, he had a brilliant time at Southampton FC. It was awful when Rupert Lowe (former Saints FC chairman) basically incapitated Strachan in the transfer market which made his position virtually impossible and had to leave.

Although when he was given money it wasn't necessarily spent that well and arguably it was Dave Jones that brought the main key players that Hoddle and then Strachan built upon

Pangur Bán;11820550 said:
In fairness, Middlesbrough's problems were inherited by Strachan. A lot of overpaid overvalued and under-performing players at the heart of the squad, who Strachan alienated by, among other things, bringing in too many of his own men; subsequently they got injured too often.

As Celtic manager he had the best record since Jock Stein; and got out the group stage of the CL twice (losing only to winners AC Milan in extra time and Barcelona). The big plus for Strachan as Scotland manager is the credibility he has at that level with the players; as a successful Old Firm manager and former world class player himself.
Yes, it's more about a matter of confidence and trust, the players aren't that bad. As well as, of course, playing football and not rugby.

Pangur Bán;11817782 said:
As people were saying before, Norway are top seeds and therefore one of Europe's mightier sides; the Swiss are surely unlucky to have them rather than inferior teams like Spain, Italy and Germany.

It's a well-known fact that Blatter hates Switzerland and thus always makes us get the hardest draws...

that aside, that 'not celebrating a goal when scoring against the country of your ethnic origin' doesn't cease to amaze me. I mean, sure, it's gonna feel strange playing against Albania when you got albanian roots, but why not celebrate a goal? It's not like you're ridiculing them. I mean if I were playing against friends, chances are I'd celebrate more, not less, if I scored :)

happend with Yakin when he scored against Turkey and now the same with Shaqiri against Albania :confused:

and I have to admit, it always feels strange seeing a player with the talent of Shaqiri playing for Switzerland; I'm just not used to seeing that kind of talent in our team :lol:

Disgusting performance by Scotland again. Listening to GL give his bs excuses. We need to lose all our games now to force the SFA to have him sacked. He's only ever beaten Lithuania and Liechtenstein (includ a 2-1 win at home 9 minutes into injury time) in competitive matches, although he claimed we had a midfield as good as Holland's. :lol:

If you're an outsider you probably think two home draws against Serbia and Macedonia ain't so bad, but if you see the performances and some of the stupid decision making, you'd understand.

The Socceroos just lost a qualifier to Jordan. JORDAN.

USA lost to Jamaica a few days ago too. (I'd guess Jamaica is better than Jordan, but it's still a problem.) Have another crack tonight...

Weird stuff going round.

Pangur Bán;11823439 said:
Disgusting performance by Scotland again. Listening to GL give his bs excuses. We need to lose all our games now to force the SFA to have him sacked. He's only ever beaten Lithuania and Liechtenstein (includ a 2-1 win at home 9 minutes into injury time) in competitive matches, although he claimed we had a midfield as good as Holland's. :lol:

If you're an outsider you probably think two home draws against Serbia and Macedonia ain't so bad, but if you see the performances and some of the stupid decision making, you'd understand.
Two home draws isn't a good performance under any circumstances. Home games are must-wins, and Levein's tenure is helping screw over Socttish football even more. Nobody wants to watch football from a country that qualifies for nothign at all and has only one of two teams win anything. Scottish players will leave for other places and continues to prefer second division English teams to first-division Scotland sides if this continues. :(
The Socceroos just lost a qualifier to Jordan. JORDAN.
Absolutely terrible. It looks like we won't be going to Rio.
Well, this is how it is playing in the grownups group. Wanna demote back to Oceania? You're always at war with Eurasia there.

It's not as bad as c_h says, it just means we might slip to third and have to go through a playoff unless we pull out some results against Iraq and Japan. I can't see Jordan maintaining enough of a formline to keep us out of third.

The more costly result may end up being the 0-0 to Oman over there.

We've still got Iraq in Qatar, then the four return games are all around mid-next year. Three of those are at home, at least.

Top Bottom