2018 season NFL playoffs

I'm willing to bet that both games will lead to rule changes for next year. Too late to help you this year though.

I mean if you could show me a single call remotely as egregious as that one that was missed then yeah we might have something

But saying "the side judge didn't miss any calls" when that was his goddamn call to make and whine about Payton having the gall to be upset is trash. FOH.

My bad...I was talking about the line judge, who actually took the brunt of the abuse and legitimately had nothing to do with the call, which should have been made by the field judge...but the field judge isn't stuck within the coach's range, so any old zebra will do I guess. Meanwhile, everywhere outside the orbit of Sean Payton the conversation is split about evenly between "bad call" and "wow, Payton's clock management there was just freakin' awful." In my opinion, which is just an opinion, he was so busy jawing and whining that he failed to do his job, which is not really a first for him. He can be upset as much as he wants, and he can even complain if he wants...but not if he fails to do his job in the process.

I'm willing to bet that both games will lead to rule changes for next year. Too late to help you this year though.

I dunno what rule changes could be made that would be pertinent. I guess replay review on PI or potential PI calls? There has been discussion of that, which will no doubt heat up.

In the other game I thought they did pretty well on calls, even though I certainly wasn't happy with the outcome. The muffed punt that wasn't actually wasn't, though when replay and a microscope is required to make the decision I'm sure plenty of KC fans are furious about it. The only real fault I have with the officials in that game is the usual "sorry, that's only roughing if you're Tom Brady" effect, and no rule change can fix that.

Last edited:
I dunno what rule changes could be made that would be pertinent. I guess replay review on PI or potential PI calls? There has been discussion of that, which will no doubt heat up.

Wait...they can't review pass interference calls? What exactly is the logic behind that decision?

In the other game I thought they did pretty well on calls, even though I certainly wasn't happy with the outcome. The muffed punt that wasn't actually wasn't, though when replay and a microscope is required to make the decision I'm sure plenty of KC fans are furious about it. The only real fault I have with the officials in that game is the usual "sorry, that's only roughing if you're Tom Brady" effect, and no rule change can fix that.

The Pats-KC game was a prime example of the bad overtime rules. Scoring a touchdown shouldn't automatically win the game just because it was the team that received the ball first. Each team should have an equal number of possessions and after each round of possessions, if one team has a higher score that team wins. KC should of had a chance to tie it up after the Pats scored but because of the stupid rule they didn't.

Wait...they can't review pass interference calls? What exactly is the logic behind that decision?

When they instituted replay the "disrupt the flow of the game" vs "really have to review the game breaking events" balance was struck at reviewing turnovers and scoring plays since those stop the game anyway, and not reviewing penalties. Catch/no catch disputes were added after, and a lot of the argument there was that the replay system had been demonstrated to be streamlined enough to allow for it. Now they've made a pretty good case that they have a good process for getting it done in a timely fashion so they are talking about penalties, specifically PI. Problem is that if you say "well, let's review PI because that's really important" you get into a 'where to draw that line' issue. I mean we talk about player safety, but there's probably at least one missed facemask call per game, minimum. Should we be reviewing that?

The Pats-KC game was a prime example of the bad overtime rules. Scoring a touchdown shouldn't automatically win the game just because it was the team that received the ball first. Each team should have an equal number of possessions and after each round of possessions, if one team has a higher score that team wins. KC should of had a chance to tie it up after the Pats scored but because of the stupid rule they didn't.

I agree in principle, but also acknowledge that the new rules are a huge improvement over the old "win the toss and win with a field goal" rules. "Sudden death" has its charms, and I doubt there's a way to really be rid of it. My solution would be to just do away with the coin toss. If you have the ball at the end of a tied game you just keep it and keep going. If you kick a last second field goal to tie it, you have to kick off and the other team gets first crack at ending it.

Yeah the Sudden death rule will be replaced for the playoffs next year, but not for the regular season (my prediction)

And on the other we'll get a special challenge in the last two minutes of playoff games only. (also my prediction)

I cannot guarantee that I won't hedge. :o

Wait, what? No one has anything to say about the pro-bowl?

Yeah, me neither.

It is today, right?

I saw a plug on ESPN, so I think so.

I saw a plug on ESPN, so I think so.

LOL...I checked the guide thing on my TV right after I posted to see if/when it was coming on and didn't find it. Then I checked the internet and found out that by the time I posted it was already over.

Top Bottom