CFC Pick'em Funtimes 2018-2019

schlaufuchs

Break My Heart
Greetings! It's almost a week into September, the NFL season officially starts tomorrow and I still haven't put this thread up yet, guess now's as good a time as any! Welcome to the 5th annual iteration of CFC Pick'em Funtimes, the forum's favorite (and only) pick'em league! If you're a returning veteran, welcome back, and if you're new to this whole shebang, stay right where you are, it's neither anywhere near as nerdy nor as complicated as it seems!

I'll explain how this whole thing works in just a bit, but first let's take a moment to review the results from last year, and once again congratulate Light Cleric for taking home his second title last year:

Week 17 Standings.png

Yeah yeah that's enough of that. So on to how this all works!

How This All Works
So at the start of the week (typically not Wednesday lol), I will post spreads for each NFL game being played for that week. The spread will look something like this:

Sunday, 9/9
San Francisco @ Minnesota, Minnesota by 6.5

This spread reports, obviously, that the Minnesota Vikings, playing at home, are favored to win by six and a half points. Your job is to make a prediction against this posted spread. Now CFC Pick'em Funtimes work slightly differently than your standard Against-the-Spread format. In this Pick'em League you are picking both against the spread and a winner. Simply put, for any given game, you can make one of three predictions:

1) Minnesota will win AND will win by 6.5 or more points
2) Minnesota will win BUT will do so by fewer than 6.5 points
3) San Francisco will win the game outright

You make these predictions for all the posted spreads, I will keep track of your predictions, and then at the end of the week I'll tabulate the scores and post an update announcing the current standings. A player receives one point for guessing the correct winner, and one extra point for guessing the spread correctly. So in the above example, if Minnesota wins 27-20, a picker who says Minnesota wins and covers receives 2 points, a picker who says Minnesota wins but does not cover receives 1 point, and a picker who says San Francisco wins outright receives 0 points. The picker at the end of the season who has collected the most points will be declared the winner. That's about it for the basics.

Assorted Housekeeping Stuff
1) In the event of a push (e.g. x team is favored by 3 points and wins by exactly 3 points), the outcome is counted as a cover. That is to say, "San Francisco by 3" is to be read as "San Francisco wins by at least 3 points".
2) Standings are displayed to show first points, then a statistic called PPW, which shows average points received per 16 picks (i.e. 1 week of play), then finally picking record, organized as: (Picks which received 2 points - Picks which received 1 point - Picks which received 0 points). Rankings are determined first by who has more points, then by who has made more successful 2-point picks, then finally by who has a higher PPW.
3) You can frame your picks however you want. Use abbreviations, use joke names, use +/- notation, include your thoughts on why you made the picks you make, whatever. Just keep in mind all I'm looking for when recording the picks is Team and cover/not cover/outright, so please try to make those immediately apparent, preferably putting your actual pick in boldface lettering so I can pick it out of your wall of text easily and accurately.
4) You are free to make your picks any time during the week, and change them as many times as you want. There are many participants who choose to post their pick for the Thursday Night Football game on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then withhold their Sunday and Monday picks for the weekend. That is perfectly fine. The only rule regarding pick timing is that your pick is placed before kickoff of the game in question. Once kickoff occurs all picks are final as written. No changes. No late picks. No exceptions.
5) If, for whatever reason (banned, on vacation, etc) you are unable to submit your picks in time, you are free to PM me, or hit me up on #fiftychat with your picks. I'll post them in-thread, and as long as they're delivered to me before kick-off of the game in question I will consider them valid.
6) If you are unable to do #4 for whatever reason, or if I'm being flakey on posting spreads, you can also post your picks as conditionals. "I'll take Baltimore to cover unless they're favored by 5 or more points" is fine. If you post that I'll consider it valid and sort out the mechanics of it. Try not to do this unless you absolutely have to though.
7) If you wish to change your picks, as noted above, that is fine, however, when you do change them, please indicate, either in-thread or via PM that you have done so. Sometime I write your picks down as they come up, and if you make minor changes to individual games I may not notice them.
8) Sometimes the spread will change over the course of the week. The spread that's listed in-thread is the spread that matters, and generally that one will go up on Tuesday. Sometimes a spread is not available on Tuesday, or more specifically, covers.com, the site I use, hasn't come to a consensus cover yet. If this is the case, I will note it in-thread and update the post as the spread becomes available. Usually this happens on Wednesday or Thursday, but regardless I will always try to give you guys at least 2 days to make your picks. It doesn't always happen in practice, but that's what I'm aiming for.

I think that covers basically everything, so without further ado, let's get to the 1st week spreads.

Good luck, and have fun guys!

Week 1 Spreads

Thursday, 9/6

Atlanta @ Philadelphia, Philadelphia by 1

Sunday, 9/9

San Francisco @ Minnesota, Minnesota by 6.5
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans, New Orleans by 9.5
Houston @ New England, New England by 6.5
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland, Pittsburgh by 4
Cincinnati @ Indianapolis, Indianapolis by 3
Tennessee @ Miami, Tennessee by 1.5
Buffalo @ Baltimore, Baltimore by 7.5
Jacksonville @ N.Y. Giants, Jacksonville by 3
Kansas City @ L.A. Chargers, Chargers by 3.5
Dallas @ Carolina, Carolina by 3
Seattle @ Denver, Denver by 3
Washington @ Arizona, Arizona by 1
Chicago @ Green Bay, Green Bay by 7.5

Monday, 9/10

N.Y. Jets @ Detroit, Detroit by 6.5
L.A. Rams @ Oakland, Rams by 4

Falcons win
Vikings cover
Saints don’t cover
Texans win
Steelers cover
Colts cover
Titans cover
Ravens cover
Jags cover
Chargers cover
Panthers cover
Broncos cover
Redskins win
Packers don’t cover
Lions cover
Rams cover

Edit: history tells me I’m much more successful at these when I don’t homer my Seahawks. I’ll go back to that strategy.

Last edited:
Eagles cover.

Rest later.

Thank you Owen!

6) If you are unable to do #4 for whatever reason, or if I'm being flakey on posting spreads, you can also post your picks as conditionals. "I'll take Baltimore to cover unless they're favored by 5 or more points" is fine. If you post that I'll consider it valid and sort out the mechanics of it. Try not to do this unless you absolutely have to though.
Good luck, and have fun guys!

I would like to point out that 6) is most likely to crop up in a situation where there is an injury to a key player and the spread for his game is not posted until the last minute.

And thanks for doing this Owen!

Falcons outright.

Week 1 Spreads

Thursday, 9/6
Atlanta @ Philadelphia, Philadelphia by 1 - cover

Sunday, 9/9
San Francisco @ Minnesota, Minnesota by 6.5 - dog (yep... we're doing that again)
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans, New Orleans by 9.5 - cover
Houston @ New England, New England by 6.5 - cover
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland, Pittsburgh by 4 - cover
Cincinnati @ Indianapolis, Indianapolis by 3 - cover
Tennessee @ Miami, Tennessee by 1.5 - cover
Buffalo @ Baltimore, Baltimore by 7.5 - cover
Jacksonville @ N.Y. Giants, Jacksonville by 3 - cover
Kansas City @ L.A. Chargers, Chargers by 3.5 - dog
Dallas @ Carolina, Carolina by 3 - cover
Seattle @ Denver, Denver by 3 - cover
Washington @ Arizona, Arizona by 1 - dog
Chicago @ Green Bay, Green Bay by 7.5 - cover

Monday, 9/10
N.Y. Jets @ Detroit, Detroit by 6.5 - cover
L.A. Rams @ Oakland, Rams by 4 - cover

Tonight:
Falcons Just to have it all in one place

Sunday, 9/9
Minnesota
New Orleans
New England DNC
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland
Cincinnati @ Indianapolis
Tennessee @ Miami
Nevermores DNC
Jax
KC
Dallas
Denver
Arizona
Green Bay DNC

Monday, 9/10
Detroit DNC
L.A. Rams Apparently Gruden has Vegas hypnotized for the line to be only 4.

Let's see how long I can go without forgetting.
Falcons outright.

Thursday, 9/6
Atlanta @ Philadelphia, Philadelphia by 1 I repeat Eagles cover

Sunday, 9/9

San Francisco @ Minnesota, Minnesota by 6.5 Beam it up, Captain Kirk, there's no intelligent life on the other side of the field Vikings cover
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans, New Orleans by 9.5 nine and a half is a lot, yet not near enough Saints cover
Houston @ New England, New England by 6.5 by week six they will likely be laid low by injuries, as that is their way, but week one and healthy Texans win
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland, Pittsburgh by 4 no Bell, no problem, Steelers cover
Cincinnati @ Indianapolis, Indianapolis by 3 no luck, no chance, Bengals win
Tennessee @ Miami, Tennessee by 1.5 not used to high expectations, not ready, Fish win
Buffalo @ Baltimore, Baltimore by 7.5 yes, they are that bad, Ravens cover
Jacksonville @ N.Y. Giants, Jacksonville by 3 also not used to high expectations, but ready, Jags cover
Kansas City @ L.A. Chargers, Chargers by 3.5 after a bye or in a season opener Reid always has his team better prepared, Chiefs win
Dallas @ Carolina, Carolina by 3 only three? those 'poke bettors are always throwing away money, Cats cover
Seattle @ Denver, Denver by 3 Case Keenum to the rescue, Broncoids cover
Washington @ Arizona, Arizona by 1 one is a lonely number, but this point will have plenty of friends, Cards cover
Chicago @ Green Bay, Green Bay by 7.5 Mack plays with huge chip on shoulder looking to make a statement, either he or Rodgers gets injured, Packers DNC

Monday, 9/10

N.Y. Jets @ Detroit, Detroit by 6.5 Jets fly like a poorly thrown rock, Lions cover
L.A. Rams @ Oakland, Rams by 4 Chuckie on MNF. Regret leaving that booth? Rams cover

I changed mine to Falcons win. I learned some stuff about the Eagles/Falcons offseason that made me change my mind.

edit: Tim you're wrong about something. Andrew Luck WILL be playing in week 1 against Bengals.

Thursday, 9/6
Atlanta @ Philadelphia, Philadelphia by 1 - Petition to make this game not count because it means acknowledging that televised garbage fire was football

Sunday, 9/9
San Francisco @ Minnesota, Minnesota by 6.5 - Vikings cover
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans, New Orleans by 9.5 - Saints cover if we lose to FItzmagic just end me
Houston @ New England, New England by 6.5 - Pats cover
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland, Pittsburgh by 4 - Steelers cover
Cincinnati @ Indianapolis, Indianapolis by 3 - Colts cover
Tennessee @ Miami, Tennessee by 1.5 - Titans cover
Buffalo @ Baltimore, Baltimore by 7.5 - Ravens cover
Jacksonville @ N.Y. Giants, Jacksonville by 3 - Jaguars cover
Kansas City @ L.A. Chargers, Chargers by 3.5 - Chiefs win
Dallas @ Carolina, Carolina by 3 - Panthers cover
Seattle @ Denver, Denver by 3 - Seahawks win
Washington @ Arizona, Arizona by 1 - Cardinals cover
Chicago @ Green Bay, Green Bay by 7.5 - Packers cover

Monday, 9/10
N.Y. Jets @ Detroit, Detroit by 6.5 - Lions cover
L.A. Rams @ Oakland, Rams by 4 - Rams cover

Well with blind squirrel finds accord for success last night, lets hope the same happens this weekend.

Sunday, 9/9
San Francisco @ Minnesota, Minnesota by 6.5 Vikings COVER
Tampa Bay @ New Orleans, New Orleans by 9.5 Saints COVER
Houston @ New England, New England by 6.5 TEXANS WIN
Pittsburgh @ Cleveland, Pittsburgh by 4 Steelers cover
Cincinnati @ Indianapolis, Indianapolis by 3 Bengals WIN
Tennessee @ Miami, Tennessee by 1.5 Titans cover
Buffalo @ Baltimore, Baltimore by 7.5 Ravens cover
Jacksonville @ N.Y. Giants, Jacksonville by 3 Jaguars cover
Kansas City @ L.A. Chargers, Chargers by 3.5 Chargers cover
Dallas @ Carolina, Carolina by 3 Panthers cover
Seattle @ Denver, Denver by 3 Seahawks WIN
Washington @ Arizona, Arizona by 1 Cardinals cover
Chicago @ Green Bay, Green Bay by 7.5 Packers do not cover

Monday, 9/10

N.Y. Jets @ Detroit, Detroit by 6.5 Lions cover
L.A. Rams @ Oakland, Rams by 4 Rams cover

MIN cov
NO dnc
NE cov
PIT cov
IND cov
TEN cov
BAL dnc
JAX cov
LAC cov
CAR cov
SEA win
ARI cov
GB cov
DET cov
LAR cov

Am I understanding the scoring properly. I have you currently at zero since the eaglets lost.
On the other hand I'm tied for first at 2 points.

Am I understanding the scoring properly. I have you currently at zero since the eaglets lost.

That is correct. On Thursday, the Eagles won and covered, meaning:

If you took PHI cov you got 2 points
If you took PHI dnc you got 1 point
If you took ATL win you got 0 points

You understand the scoring, you just need to get a better source for NFL News. Falcons 12, Eagles 18, Final. I am at two, and you are currently at zero.

Top Bottom