2K/Fraxis dont like poor people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live, a typical internet contract would cost more than a PC that could run civ5.

I agree it's unlikely there are many people who can afford one and not the other but it's fair to say that internet access (as opposed to data quotas) is not particularly cheap, especially if you live in a more remote area.
cell phone modem

I cant jailbreak this iphone for tethering because its my gfs and im screwed if i bricked it or anything. And att doesnt allow tethering, and you use to be able to do it without jailbreaking but they have since.

Like ive said 100 times ill be able to activate. I was complaining on behalf of the internetless. Bad move.

But people must admit if you can buy a computer you may not be able to have net access, atleast right away. Maybe when your financialy stable. Why youd buy one, i dont kno? People are stupid and buy impulse, or perhaps they saved. Either way it isnt that out there. My parents got there first comp for schoolwork(we werent poor, but not rich either). Then being the smart kid i was, i went to a store and looked at computer games, because i knew it could have more than one use. If i could do it then so can alot of other people. This is now 13 years later but id say that scenario does happen. Also im sure your not gonna need a kick ass 1000 dollar system to play civ v. Thats the beauty of pc games, they scale to what you got.

Also i hate the fact that steam keeps any game i buy stuck to me. i use to trade/ sell my games to friends( back when i was younger mainly) so we could buy more and play more. With this drm thats all been killed. If you dl it then fine, but if i have the disk then it shouldnt be that way. Also i dont care about the fact im only buying a liscense to play the game and i dont own the game legaly. Its still my choice.

I cant jailbreak this iphone for tethering because its my gfs and im screwed if i bricked it or anything. And att doesnt allow tethering, and you use to be able to do it without jailbreaking but they have since.

Like ive said 100 times ill be able to activate. I was complaining on behalf of the internetless. Bad move.

But people must admit if you can buy a computer you may not be able to have net access, atleast right away. Maybe when your financialy stable. Why youd buy one, i dont kno? People are stupid and buy impulse, or perhaps they saved. Either way it isnt that out there. My parents got there first comp for schoolwork(we werent poor, but not rich either). Then being the smart kid i was, i went to a store and looked at computer games, because i knew it could have more than one use. If i could do it then so can alot of other people. This is now 13 years later but id say that scenario does happen. Also im sure your not gonna need a kick ass 1000 dollar system to play civ v. Thats the beauty of pc games, they scale to what you got.
Ppl without internet will not buy the game unless they can circumvent the obstacle. If not, then the money is better spent on any other game, or on anything other than civ5. It happens, and it is not an issue to most gamers. Just because it is for a few will rake in next to no sympathy points. You do not see people crying and outraged over posts in the technical forum, do you? We can possibly dig up some posts about the game crashing and not working for some users. No one is outraged.

cell phone modem

Yeah, i surf over the mobil phone network, and it would be really be big fun for me to be forced to download a 150 mb patch when i have a downstream of 8 kb/s (that's normal for my connection what i can get additionally to surfing; 22 kb/s when i don't do anything).

Where I live, a typical internet contract would cost more than a PC that could run civ5.

I agree it's unlikely there are many people who can afford one and not the other but it's fair to say that internet access (as opposed to data quotas) is not particularly cheap, especially if you live in a more remote area.

"Internet contract"... I'm unfamiliar with this concept. But it must cost over $900!

"Internet contract"... I'm unfamiliar with this concept. But it must cost over $900!

I can build a PC that can run civ5 for less than 900 (USD I assume you're talking). If you buy shiny new stuff in a box put together by some guy who wants to rip you off, maybe you'd be right.

And how can't you be familiar with "internet contract"? How do you get internet if you're not in an arrangement with someone to provide you the service? Do you get it through someone else, e.g. through college or internet cafes?

cell phone modem

Can you please be a bit more clear? In my experience, data on mobile phone plans is much more expensive per MB so it would be pretty ridiculous to rely on such a thing for your Steam connectivity.

Well, you don't need "connectivity".
Just one time connection to activate. That not really a big data transfer.

Will the game require patches? I suppose not.

Well, games with simple just disc check "required" patches too. Haven't seen anyone complain about that.

They were provided as standalone executables that could be downloaded at a friend's house or at uni etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that with Steam, the computer with the game installed is the one that needs to connect to the internet. If your computer is not easily portable (my desktop uses a steel case and feels like it weighs a tonne) this presents a problem for someone without an internet plan because they can't easily get the patch from a friend/family or whatever.

It's true that no one complains about patches requiring internet. However, I think it's unreasonable to expect a games company or its publisher to send out CDs with the patch to each of the game's buyers. Even if they didn't do it for free, would you pay the postage cost for such a thing?

DUDE! You have a girlfriend. Just sayin'.

I missed this, are you just mocking me because you have this ******ed view of me from this thread, or the fact i said gf instead of spelling it out.

Yes, I do have one, she had my baby, and shes really hot.
Or
I grew up with aim and am typing on a six inch screen, my thumbs hit every letter cause my hands are so big. (Ya it is true what they say, its pretty dqmn big) you can be amazed by that fact also.

Well it doesnt really matter since a week after civ5 is out, internet-free cracks will appear. So it is rather a bad move by Firaxis, and little more.

Right, because it is much easier to download the entire cracked game than the steam client and the encyrpted files to unlock the store bought game...:rolleyes:

People with no internet access will be completely clueless to the fact that internet is required to initially sign up for steam to play the game offline. They have no way to know since they are not on the information superhighway.

And once they find this out after opening the software, they will just have to 'find a way' since most retailers do not except open software returns.

Can you please be a bit more clear? In my experience, data on mobile phone plans is much more expensive per MB so it would be pretty ridiculous to rely on such a thing for your Steam connectivity.

unlimited data package? newer phones are 1-6x dialup

In total, around 24 million people(In the US, I don't have stats for elsewhere) don't have internet access.

Now, stop and think for a minute. How many of those are the gaming type?

Probably enough for it to be an ethical concern. a concern of social and business practices dictated by something more integral than face-value economics.

Now, whether a publisher would actually decide to reach out to these people (probably 2-4 million) or not would depend on if they wish to stay on the relatively "safe" side of Modern Online DRM or if they feel confident that their game will still be successful with a "CD-Key only" version.

I missed this, are you just mocking me because you have this ******ed view of me from this thread, or the fact i said gf instead of spelling it out.

Yes, I do have one, she had my baby, and shes really hot.
Or
I grew up with aim and am typing on a six inch screen, my thumbs hit every letter cause my hands are so big. (Ya it is true what they say, its pretty dqmn big) you can be amazed by that fact also.

Yall could have a running gag. But seriously, I love this guy. Some how every post is just more and more endearing xD

And onto the actual topic at hand, I disagree with 2Ks move in the direction towards Online DRM. Whether Firaxis is okay with the situation, or are rolling in their graves swivel chairs and grumbling towards 2Kgames ... I would be interested to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom