2K Gregs game Comment thread

One thing I've gotta say, I find the German UUs to be underwhelming. We were promised the UUs would all be unique, no more normal units with passive bonuses or slightly better strength. Legions can build roads. That doesn't sound very useful, but it is uniquely Roman. Apparently that was one of the very few examples of a truly unique UU they actually had. Lan-whatevers.... a pikeman, but cheaper. Panzer... a tank with one more movement. Useful, yeah, but hardly breaking from the Civ IV tradition of "the same unit, but just a little stronger." And maybe I missed it, but the guy next to Greg gushed about how strong the samurai are, but I didn't hear him say what their power is. The whole UU thing in this game overall just sounds like they had a good idea that in practice they could only implement 10% of the way.
I can clarify what you are missing: The Landsknecht is 1/2 the price of a pikeman. That *is* breaking from the Civ 4 tradition. It's a huge advantage on a resourceless unit. As to the Panzer, it's not just a faster tank. It's also a faster tank with 60 strength (as opposed to 50), making it the strongest 'melee' in the game until modern armor appears.

The Landsknecht allows you to deploy hordes of cheap, blocking/anti-mounted units, or just put the production to other units. The Panzer outclasses everything else in its time period, and even outclasses most modern units.

BTW, the samurai's power is a free shock promotion (aka +20% combat on open terrain), and a increased Great General spawn rate. A very powerful unit.

And maybe I missed it, but the guy next to Greg gushed about how strong the samurai are, but I didn't hear him say what their power is. The whole UU thing in this game overall just sounds like they had a good idea that in practice they could only implement 10% of the way.

He said that the Samurai generate great generals more often from combat, which is why he had so many great generals running around (one by the city state, one that made the citadel, and another that he couldn't use that just fortified in the citadel--and maybe more).

He said that the Samurai generate great generals more often from combat, which is why he had so many great generals running around (one by the city state, one that made the citadel, and another that he couldn't use that just fortified in the citadel--and maybe more).

Dont forget the one that started his golden age ;)

Let me say first that I immensely enjoyed watching the stream today. Nice work, everyone! I'm also really excited about Civ V, I've preordered and can't wait to start playing next week.

My biggest problem in Civ IV is that when you meet a new civilization for the first time, after they suddenly greet you, very often you have no idea where the initial encounter took place. This especially happens if the new civ moves into your sight range during their turn. After they say "Hi!," then you have to search the map manually, looking for a scout or a warrior representing the newly discovered civ, or for a little patch of their cultural borders that just popped into view. Searching around like that always feels like a colossal waste of time -- why can't the game just show you where the contact took place?

I was dismayed to see in today's demonstration that this problem has not been addressed in Civ V. At about 25:10 in part one, after meeting Hiawatha, Greg has to scour the map to find out where the initial encounter took place. He finds the Iroquois scout relatively quickly, but the fact that he had to look around for it means that my pet peeve is still there!

I thought the nice new Civ V notification system would automatically highlight the spot where you meet new Civs. Patch priority Number One, guys? Please?

I can clarify what you are missing: The Landsknecht is 1/2 the price of a pikeman. That *is* breaking from the Civ 4 tradition. It's a huge advantage on a resourceless unit. As to the Panzer, it's not just a faster tank. It's also a faster tank with 60 strength (as opposed to 50), making it the strongest 'melee' in the game until modern armor appears.

The Landsknecht allows you to deploy hordes of cheap, blocking/anti-mounted units, or just put the production to other units. The Panzer outclasses everything else in its time period, and even outclasses most modern units.

BTW, the samurai's power is a free shock promotion (aka +20% combat on open terrain), and a increased Great General spawn rate. A very powerful unit.

That's good to hear. I was hoping there was more to them that I didn't know about.

Nice presentation and thanks for doing that guys...really amped the excitement up to another level for me. My only concern is that my laptop (somewhere on or just north of minimum specs) will actually be able to play it. That GPU meltdown made my anxiety rise.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...:please:

Nice presentation and thanks for doing that guys...really amped the excitement up to another level for me. My only concern is that my laptop (somewhere on or just north of minimum specs) will actually be able to play it. That GPU meltdown made my anxiety rise.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...:please:

They were also running video recording and a webcam, while streaming it live to us... you should be good:goodjob:

This was fun, wasn't around live but interesting setup especially for the second part with Napoleon.

I do want to say this: DON'T ARBITRARILY PATCH THE GAME TO INCREASE CHALLENGE ON HARDER DIFFICULTIES. I think it's very likely from what we saw (tactical AI that could be destroyed pretty clearly and a game that should be very winnable on Immortal once decent strategy is worked out/people know how to expand early and so on) that the highest levels will be easily beatable enough. I grant Deity could follow that possibility of being several times harder than immortal in turn but up to there I see few challenges.

But it would be very easy for the devs to think that too many players were winning at higher levels and then just decide to give new massive bonuses to AI at Immortal/Deity - I'd really rather they not do so. I'm still hoping they have not broken the balance on things like base happiness/etc... scaling with game size (and it seems very possible that will be a problem, especially if similar things don't scale right with mapsize either)

So as the game should be balanced as it is, please leave it at least till expansions shake things up if they are going to. Improvements on the actual gameplay/decision making of the AI, sure that's great, but not additional bonuses/penalties to the difficulty levels. Players can do far better at handicapping themselves at the top with setup conditions (raging barbs, map types and leader choice etc...) anyway if they really want.

Cool, Noah Wylie is hanging with an Allman brother.

Is Greg holding the mouse button and dragging the land around?? That's something I've been dying for in Civ, I hate side scrolling...

Didn't Civ III patch in an additional difficulty level? I find that more likely than that they would decide to rebalance the existing difficulty levels later on.

I hated that city >:[

Its at the position Babylon was founded.. :) i bet its a very nice place for a city! I'd love to settle there.. or in your case.. conquer (and hold) that city! :)

After they say "Hi!," then you have to search the map manually, looking for a scout or a warrior representing the newly discovered civ

The CIV F5 screen will reveal any visible unit. There's still the no visible unit problem, though.

This was fun, wasn't around live but interesting setup especially for the second part with Napoleon.

I do want to say this: DON'T ARBITRARILY PATCH THE GAME TO INCREASE CHALLENGE ON HARDER DIFFICULTIES. I think it's very likely from what we saw (tactical AI that could be destroyed pretty clearly and a game that should be very winnable on Immortal once decent strategy is worked out/people know how to expand early and so on) that the highest levels will be easily beatable enough. I grant Deity could follow that possibility of being several times harder than immortal in turn but up to there I see few challenges.

But it would be very easy for the devs to think that too many players were winning at higher levels and then just decide to give new massive bonuses to AI at Immortal/Deity - I'd really rather they not do so. I'm still hoping they have not broken the balance on things like base happiness/etc... scaling with game size (and it seems very possible that will be a problem, especially if similar things don't scale right with mapsize either)

So as the game should be balanced as it is, please leave it at least till expansions shake things up if they are going to. Improvements on the actual gameplay/decision making of the AI, sure that's great, but not additional bonuses/penalties to the difficulty levels. Players can do far better at handicapping themselves at the top with setup conditions (raging barbs, map types and leader choice etc...) anyway if they really want.

Greg was nowhere close to win that fight (sorry Greg), he survived because he was Japan that always fight with full strength and used great generals, and used their UU and had a great choke point. He would prob had been pushed back pretty soon after Napoleon got a few artilleries out. Greg was behind in everything, army, tech, SP and prob number of cities also. Napoleon had 4-5 times as many points as Greg, we dont really know how points is calculated but just think about how much better a civ usually is in civ 4 when it has just the double amount of points...
Sure a experienced civ 5 player might be able to outsmart the AI in tactical war with an even even number of units and on the same tech level on all difficulties but I dont think that you will have to be pretty good to have the same techs and the same number of units as the AI on the higher difficulties...

It was a Scout.

We've seen a worker and samurai can be on same tile so i guess 1UPT is not absoulte it has some flexibility. So is it one of a kind UPT or just one combatant UP? Or will we able to work 2 or more workers on same tile?

We've seen a worker and samurai can be on same tile so i guess 1UPT is not absoulte it has some flexibility. So is it one of a kind UPT or just one combatant UP? Or will we able to work 2 or more workers on same tile?

one unit per tile per unit type, so for a land tile:
one civilian and one land combat, and one air combat (I presume)...

one unit per tile per unit type, so for a land tile:
one civilian and one land combat, and one air combat (I presume)...

I believe air units are exempted from the rule, so, on land, it would be one combat unit, one civilian unit, and, if in a city, probably a capped amount like Civ4, but more than one air unit.

Earthling said:
DON'T ARBITRARILY PATCH THE GAME TO INCREASE CHALLENGE ON HARDER DIFFICULTIES.
This. If you're tempted in any way to make the game more difficult, don't change me from a winning player on a difficulty to a losing. Instead add more difficulty levels.

Top Bottom