1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3.0 discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - The Second Revolution' started by GarretSidzaka, Jul 16, 2007.

1. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

well its in the alpha phase II. i gave a copy of what i had finished to dale, who will then help me BtS-ize it and get the dll's working. Once that is done, i will need the help of the whole 2nd rev community getting the Flavor Texts finished and maybe even with buttons and other 2d art :)

2. Bahmo

Bahmo King

What are Flavor Texts?

3. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Those are things like the Civilopaedia entries for stuff. possibly even the strategy texts too.

4. Bahmo

Bahmo King

I know leaders have Flavors in their XML, which indicate their bias with respect to what they should produce. I think that units, buildings, and techs must have it, too.

5. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

which size needed ?

6. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

correct. so there could be like a hundred entries needed to complete the game. wanna help?

7. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

confused :crazyeye:
    i think you mean the 2d art you just made, and that is probly needed to be 1024X768. that is a good default for interface artwork, and if i need to resize anything, i will at a moments notice.

8. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Thanks ! :)

9. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

btw you are awesome :goodjob:

10. Bahmo

Bahmo King

I haven't actually modded any production options, but if you want to send me the XML, I'll see what I can do. First, though, it might be a good idea to know what all is in the game.

11. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

pretty soon, i will release an alpha version.

hint: you will simply just check the civilopaedia and write down the "text strings". which (instead of the correct paragraphs) it would be written TXT_CILILOPEDIA_SUPPORT_WONDER or something.

all you would have to do, is pick some of them out for you to write about. trust me there will be plenty :)

12. Bahmo

Bahmo King

One thing I never found was which file the flavor tags for units are in. Do you know?

13. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

i do know, they are in the text info files. this you don't really need to worry about. if need be, you could just post the texts in the text thread here at second rev forums, and then i could add them later :)

14. Bahmo

Bahmo King

Could you tell me exactly which file it's in? While I may not make any units for this mod, I plan to make my own mod later on, and it would be nice to practice.

Now, one important question about the mod: will the civilizations have unique buildings? If so, I think America's should be the Fox News station, which replaces the broadcasting tower.

15. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

you don't need to worry about learning XML, that's my job. all you have to do (once the alpha is released) is just post the text for the 'idea' or civics or units in the mod, and then just post the text here.
    this way i will insert your work into the game for simplicity.

if you still want to snoop around in the XML, just go to the beyond the sword directory, then go to Assets/XML/Text and see whats in there
    DO NOT CHANGE aNYTHING however, as this is just for looking (unless you make a copy of the files somewhere else then change them)

im thinking about implementing unique buildings post-release.

16. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Announcement:

Thanks to Dale, the alpha release is coming along well. after i handle a mess of graphical errors, i will be starting on the scenario map :)

17. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

Announcement!!!

I got the map to load. now its a strait shot till the alpha release!!! I AM SO EXCiTED!!@!@#!@$!@#! :D :D :D :D :D

18. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

UPDATE: UU's screenshot added :)

Attached Files:

19. Bahmo

Bahmo King

Despite the small size, that's pure, unadulterated glory. What happened to the armed modern worker, incidentally? Is he still in there?

At any rate, I had a feeling that the Next War units would be in this. Also, Asiasioa (or however you spell it) said he'd make the pickup truck, though I haven't seen it yet.

20. GarretSidzaka

GarretSidzaka Deity

I knew that screenshot would make some people happy :)

asioasioasio has been pretty busy with his mod, so no rush there. later on, when he gets me that model, i can insert it into the mod in its rightful place. right now the pickup truck is being represented by a black humvee.

now the only tough part will be making the new map complete. i will have to break out the atlas again, since my plan of converting the old map didnt really work out.

I will release a beta as soon as its done. the only thing that will be missing is some of Dale's awesome coding. but as he told me, he's taking a little break right now :)