3 Renaissance Cannons

Kailric

Jack of All Trades
Here are a few Early Cannons I put together using Parts of other units. They are for my Tech Tree mod for Colonization. I was needing a good cannon for the early period of the Age of Discovery but could not find one that would work with Colonization. These should work with Civ4 I assume. The may need to have team color added back, as I removed it for Colonization, anyway...

BEFORE AFTER

Edit: I decided to do one more Cannon. the Ribauldquin of the 15th Century. They where used in defense when there was a breach in the wall. These multi-barreled cannons would fire a spray of anti-personnel shot against storming troops. As muskets became more effective and faster to load these cannon became less popular.

The art work goes credit to Deliverator, I just cut and pasted his work. I did do a good job of it:)

And thanks to The_Coyote for this work on the Civil War cannons and the Culverin, I used his models as a base to put these together.

V 2.3 update 5-2-2010

Download Cannons

Spoiler :

I also done a Cannon Pack for Colonization with a few more Unit/Cannon Combination along with the Hand Cannon Unit. They can be found here: Early Renaissance Cannons

Spoiler :

Attachments

• 1aUploadImage.jpg
    1aUploadImage.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 1aUploadImage2.jpg
    1aUploadImage2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,234
  • 1aUploadImage3.jpg
    1aUploadImage3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 1aUploadImage4.jpg
    1aUploadImage4.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,481
  • 1aUploadImage5.jpg
    1aUploadImage5.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 124
Thanks.

I decided to do one more Cannon. the Ribauldquin of the 15th Century. They where used in defense for when there was a breach in the wall. These multi-barreled cannons would fire a spray of anti-personnel shot against storming troops.

I also made several adustments to the models.

At last a decent size for the Cannonier !!! :D

Great work on Cannons :)

Just tested it ingame. It's quite an achievement to graft the pikeman into it. Too bad for the bit skewed figure when he's firing the cannons.
I wonder though, wouldn't it be possible to graft a bigger head on the cannoneer? It looks rather small compared to the rest of the body.

And another question. Do you know if the Colonization cannon has been exported to Civ4 by someone? If so, could you point me to it please?

Just tested it ingame. It's quite an achievement to graft the pikeman into it. Too bad for the bit skewed figure when he's firing the cannons.
I wonder though, wouldn't it be possible to graft a bigger head on the cannoneer? It looks rather small compared to the rest of the body.

And another question. Do you know if the Colonization cannon has been exported to Civ4 by someone? If so, could you point me to it please?

K, yeah, the Pikeman's head is a little off I noticed. I fixed that. What exactly do you mean by "Skewed"? I see that the Pikeman's arm looks crooked when he is fortified or fires, I'll work on that next. Also the Culverin barrels bounce around somewhat when the unit rolls and they have to much of a recoil.. not sure what to do about that but you can't notice it much. I am a very amiture unit maker :)

The_Coyote done the Orginal grafting so the achievement was his. I just copy/pasted/ then adjusted the model.

I think someone made a modpack of all the Colonization Units.. not sure if the cannon was included but I am sure someone has added it.

I'll work on the Pickman some more and post another update in the next day or two.

The other Cannonier, the conquistador, seems to be fine like he is.

K, yeah, the Pikeman's head is a little off I noticed. I fixed that. What exactly do you mean by "Skewed"? I see that the Pikeman's arm looks crooked when he is fortified or fires, I'll work on that next. Also the Culverin barrels bounce around somewhat when the unit rolls and they have to much of a recoil.. not sure what to do about that but you can't notice it much. I am a very amiture unit maker :)

With 'skewed' I meant the lower body (the legs) compared to the angle of the upper body. Will have to check a bit more though.
O yes, did you notice the 'culverin' barrels partly disappear in the wheel carriage when the unit is fortified? Hadn't noticed any bounce when the unit moves though.

In any case, the head is most important for my purposes. If that is fixed I'll be only too happy to use it. :goodjob:

With 'skewed' I meant the lower body (the legs) compared to the angle of the upper body. Will have to check a bit more though.
O yes, did you notice the 'culverin' barrels partly disappear in the wheel carriage when the unit is fortified? Hadn't noticed any bounce when the unit moves though.

In any case, the head is most important for my purposes. If that is fixed I'll be only too happy to use it. :goodjob:

K, yeah I alligned the head up better and enlarged it a bit. I'll post an update later tonight prolly, let me know what you think then. The problem is the unit you are working on doesn't always look the same in game. That is, it can look right while you are working on it but in game its off and you have to scroll around 360 degress to catch all the bad spots as well. So, its tricky business :D

Can these be used for Civ?

Can these be used for Civ?

They are meant for civ. :)

That is, it can look right while you are working on it but in game its off and you have to scroll around 360 degress to catch all the bad spots as well. So, its tricky business :D

Tell me about it! Yesterday I xml'd a redcoat unit with an explorer sword. Linking the explorer .kfm to it gave a nice stand ingame, but if you adjusted the angle of the view one could see that the sword shoulder was completely skewed. Luckily the swordsman .kfm worked correctly on that one. :D

K, I just uploaded v2. I actually somehow accident got the Fortyfied animation working correctly. I also adjusted the head on the cannoneer so check them out.

The_Coyote fixed the Culverin he made so it works with Colonization now. I am going to work on that one next, reskining and stuff, and add it to this collection as well at some point.

The Pikeman cannoneer looks good now. :D

Any plans to graft the Landsknecht and/or musketeer graphics on the culverin? :mischief:

The Pikeman cannoneer looks good now. :D

Any plans to graft the Landsknecht and/or musketeer graphics on the culverin? :mischief:

I was actually wanting to add a few more varietys to the cannoneers. The Landsknecht and musketeer would be good that you mentioned as well as maybe the Crossbowman and Cho-Ko-Nu, as they look cool :)

So, I'll put that on the list of things to do:crazyeye:

Edit: Well, I figured out that the Gloss effect on the Connoneer's was not "turned on" so I fixed that and uploaded version 2.2 which will make the armor lots more gloss and metal like.

Well, something to tempt you on another +1. ;)

The screenshot below shows the v2.2 culverin-with-pikeman. Instead of your pikeman .dds files I replaced them with the vanilla pikeman .dds files.
As you can see one of the cannoneers looks a glossy, while the other does not. This glossy thingie shifts from one to the other according to the angle I look at the unit. Is this on purpose, or a side-effect from using the vanilla .dds files for the cannoneer?

Attachments

• pikecannoneer.jpg
    pikecannoneer.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 192
Well, something to tempt you on another +1. ;)

The screenshot below shows the v2.2 culverin-with-pikeman. Instead of your pikeman .dds files I replaced them with the vanilla pikeman .dds files.
As you can see one of the cannoneers looks a glossy, while the other does not. This glossy thingie shifts from one to the other according to the angle I look at the unit. Is this on purpose, or a side-effect from using the vanilla .dds files for the cannoneer?

I am not sure on this one. I know that CIV4 handles Teamcolor different than Colonization so it may handle Gloss different as well. Did you test my new pikeman dds like this? Also, what about the regular CIV4 pikeman. Before my next update I'll load these units into CIV4 and make adjustments.

it´s seems to me that it could be the 'missing' glow slot on the pikeman could cause the trouble

(it looks like the bronze glow / environment texture form the culverin barrel is used for the pikeman in Civ - even if the pikeman itself has no glow texture applied). Going after Refars tutorial for civ units it seems to be a must to have a glow texture applied if the model uses TCiv4SkinningGloss shader

Top Bottom