1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

3GB Switch for WinXp x32bit for Civ4 ROM (how to do it tutorial)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by code99, Apr 29, 2010.

1. code99

code99 Chieftain

Well if ur computer started up without a problem then it should work, post here if u have any problems :)

Im not sure what /usepmtimer is actually, maybe someone who knows more about this could say...

os79 @ Yes, thank you for pointing this out, i wouldnt have noticed that it became sticky :D

2. The Rusty Gamer

The Rusty Gamer Chieftain

If I set this as a perment option (remove the original line), will that cause hassles with other programs, or will it all be fine?

3. code99

code99 Chieftain

You mean having the boot.ini file like this :

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=70
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB
    instead of this :

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=70
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB

If yes then you won't be having the possibility to select witch version of the windows you want to use during your computer startup process and it will all be fine so no reason to worry about.

4. The Rusty Gamer

Yep. That's what I've done and it seems fine. If anything, it may be working better.

What happens if I set it to 4GB?

Say, what's the "fastdetect" option?

5. Riffraffselbow

Riffraffselbow Chieftain

6. Nevernamed69

Nevernamed69 Chieftain

Thanks this worked great for me!!!

7. The Rusty Gamer

I use to have a blue screen issue sometimes when I closed down. That's been fixed too.

8. dudeSDCA

dudeSDCA Chieftain

Just an additional note. If you're using certain laptops (dell, lenovo, maybe a few others), simply enabling the /3gb switch will result in LOTS of video driver errors.

Instead try adding /3gb /userva=2900

9. crismac

crismac Chieftain

Will this work for Windows XP Media Center Edition 32bit.I didn't see a post for this system.

10. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I don't see why it should not.

11. crismac

crismac Chieftain

Thanks,It was probably a dumb question.I just wanted to make sure.I never done this before :)

12. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

Don't worry about asking questions.:)

13. Marcin388

Marcin388 Chieftain

I don't know if my problem is related to this memory switch, but from the day I'm using the 3 gb of memory, when I leave my computer for a couple of hours (it doesn't matter if my computer is turned off, in sleep mode or if everything is unplugged) my monitor crashes, power light flashes and I can hear strange high pitched sound from behind of my monitor, (normally when monitor gets no signal, light goes yellow from green) but it's flashing green light, and my screen is black, I can't even turn off my monitor, I have to unplug it. I have to leave my computer on and wait for a couple of hours (about 3), and then monitor works.

I've got LCD acer monitor.

14. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Monitor issues are always completely unrelated to computers. I could smash your computer with a baseball bat and your monitor would still work fine.

15. gramcrkr103

gramcrkr103 Chieftain

How can you tell if your XP system is 32 bit or 64? This seems like a fantastic trick but Im not familiar with this comp

16. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

XP is almost certainly 32bit. 64 bit XP is extremely rare.

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

XP Pro x64 Edition, says so on the start up screen. Requires at least a Dual Core CPU. Been out since 2005. I don't believe it's that rare, easily found at New Egg, Tiger Direct, and other computer distributors. And of course directly from Microsoft. Was 1st developed for the 1st line of Dual Core servers, then added more business apps. Was/is a viable alternative to Vista x64 with XP speed and user friendly processes (less restrictive for admin use and security).

XP Home is 32 bit, as is standard XP Pro.

JosEPh

18. theoretician

theoretician Chieftain

19. =FI=Ghost

=FI=Ghost Chieftain

This may be a stupid question, but does this little tweak make all other games use 3GB ram instead of 2?

20. Hellan

Hellan Chieftain

Hi there,

Tried apllying the 3GB switch, the file look exactly like the example you've given. But I have an lov graphics setting in my XP now, only 640x480x4bit. I'm not able to change it back to my original 1024x768x32bit, when I do I get an error from file LockMon.exe, that the program made an exeption that couldn't be applied/ran. I've read the microsoft thread for higher end graphics card, but since I only run a integrated g33/g31 intel card - I wouldn't really consider that high-end.. :)

Does anyone have any solutions to my problem?
    note; I'm new to this kind of editing

regards