3UC/4UC for VP: Project Coordination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler v11 :
v11:
- added floating text for Kapu Ku'ialua, Philhellenism and Scythe promotions,
- balance: reworked Shotelai promotions (now Maim instead of Hooked Weapon (stays) and new Hooked Weapon promotion (lost)),
- balance: reworked Shotelai (now 21 CP, available at the same tech as Longswordsman, lowered production cost to 150),
- balance: changed Mehal Sefari (now has Sentry instead of Cover I),
- balance: changed Monolithic Church (now instead of tech yields it gets bonuses from policy finishers),
- balance: reworked Koa (it is now Scout replacement, changed Kapu Ku'ialua description),
- balance: reworked Scythed Chariot (buffed Scythe damage to 8, added Carnyx promotion (stays), deleted Accuracy I),
- balance: modified Boudicca (increased Leader_Flavor: GREAT_PEOPLE (from 5 to 8); changed GMP in trait (now +2 from everything),
- balance: changed added city HP from Oppidium (now 20) and added ability to stationing units (they stay after attack on the tile),
- balance: reworked Pancerny (reduced CP to default value, added Grunwald promotion (lost)),
- balance: reworked SPAD (now requires no oil, +2 range moved out from promotion, deleted french innovation),
- balance: deleted automatic camp from Buffalo Pound when making a new resource of Bison,
- balance: reworked Yellow Brow (added 1 CP, changed No Retreat II (lost) to No Retreat (stay), modified texts),
- balance: reworked Tug Banner Warrior (now has Charge I, Massacre gives experience for pillaging instead of bonus on wounded units),
- balance: reworked Licorne (now has +1 Range, Grapeshot (+50% RCS against melee units (stay)) and Can Move After Attacking promotions),
- renamed Barbarian Penalty IV promotion to Leiomano on Koa,
- changed Rough Terrain Penalty II promotion to default Rough Terrain Penalty (same values) on Scythed Chariot,
- updated Sachem's Council (now it can be built everywhere),
- fixed Fale Tel'e's flavors,
- fixed Pogost Stage 2 and 3 GoldMaintenance value,
- changed Pogost (now stage 2 and 3 are not tied to Russia (they can be seen by anyone, but cannot be built because of stage 1 requirement)),
- reworked Pogost descriptions, added notifications after upgrade to next Stages,
- made code more universal to updates, cleaned up the code,
- added mipmaps to all art in mod,
- modified Armada (moved down by 1px) and Prowler (sharpened) 32px icons,
- added text for Ethiopia, Spain, Ottomans, France, Polynesia, Shoshone and Greece; modified text of Licorne and Oppidum,
- minor fixes.
v11 out. Finally. Don't be overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Lotsa stuff. Good going, @adan_eslavo, yet again. Seems I will start a new game right away once I finish my super-wide Russia (still only just about to reach Cossack and Ostrog, heh). 30 cities and I am about to see just how good Pogost is as a raw-yields building. The evolution of it seems a bit quick, but that might just be me. I think it could benefit from slight widening + consequent slight improving of yields. As it is, it feels like the delayed yields aren't much, but neither is the wait for them. Would rather it packed slightly more punch, but was behind more teching to get there.

I liked the idea of returning the ballista and its new promotions.
Latifundium is also a good idea, but needs some tweaking.
The idea of the General / Great Diplomat is interesting, although it seems a little difficult to implement, and the citadel would certainly be lacking.
I suggest, then, to try to blend ideas:

Spoiler :

Ballista
6:c5strength: CS (up from 4)
14:c5strength: RCS (up from 12)
No siege inaccuracy (full dmg vs land units)
-25% vs naval
:c5moves: moves as FULL speed in enemy territory (unlike other siege weapons which move at 1/2)
Cover I (+25% vs ranged attacks)
Accuracy I (+5% RCS, +10 RCS vs enemies >50HP)
While within range of a Great General, has Indirect Fire (but without the penalty of -10%:c5rangedstrength:).

Legion
17:c5strength: CS (up from 15).
Can build roads and forts.
Starts with the Cover I Promotion.
Pilum - 10 damage to adjacent enemies every turn you are fortified
Romanization - While within range of a Great General, has a chance to capture enemy soldiers (Like Fall of Rome Scenario)
Double :c5greatperson: GGP from kills

Colosseum
3 :c5culture: Culture
3 :c5production: Production
2 :tourism: Tourism.

Gain +5 :c5greatperson: GGP or GAPs and +5 :c5goldenage: GAP when you destroy an enemy unit. City connections produce +2% more :c5gold: Gold. +2 :c5production: Production for Barracks, Forge and Armory. Nearby Perfume provide +2 :c5culture: Culture, and Olives +1 :c5food: Food and +1 :c5gold: Gold. Reduces :c5unhappy: Boredom Slightly.

Latifundium
2 :c5production: production
1 :c5gold: gold
1 :c5culture: culture (maybe 2 :c5culture: culture border)
+2 :c5food: food in tiles adjacents (cattle, deer, sheep, wheat)
+2 :c5gold: gold, +1 :c5culture: culture in adjacent plantations.
50% discount when purchasing tiles around. (maybe)
Available in calendar
It should never be built adjacent to the other latifundium.
Adjacent tiles do not accumulate yields of other latifundiums

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas David! I love the idea of unique promotions when near a great general.

Unit conversion sounds really strong, and I wouldn't want to step on the Hun's toes. What if instead, being near a great general increased the speed of improvements for legionnaires by 25%-50%, so they build roads and forts faster with while under 'leadership'?

reduced gold price of adjacent tiles sounds like an interesting mechanic for latifundia. If I'm being honest, I prefer Uighur_Caesar's version more, because the tile requirement (only on wheat or plantation resources), and the mechanic (Spawn a copy of the resource its built on) is just so unique.

Thanks for the ideas David! I love the idea of unique promotions when near a great general.

Unit conversion sounds really strong, and I wouldn't want to step on the Hun's toes. What if instead, being near a great general increased the speed of improvements for legionnaires by 25%-50%, so they build roads and forts faster with while under 'leadership'?

reduced gold price of adjacent tiles sounds like an interesting mechanic for latifundia. If I'm being honest, I prefer Uighur_Caesar's version more, because the tile requirement (only on wheat or plantation resources), and the mechanic (Spawn a copy of the resource its built on) is just so unique.

I thought the Caesar's Uighur version would be very powerful, especially about giving a copy of the resourse, so I adjusted it. But we can also use it as it is in the original.
Reducing the speed of construction also makes sense for Rome, "Every road leads to Rome!"
Maybe give the Legion more defense in the forts.
And only capture other UU. (Maybe, maybe not)

What about the increase in income per era, how would it be?
What do you think about this?

Last edited:
David some decent ideas but doesn't fit the civ.

If Rome isn't going to get it's wonder or it's building it at least should get a strong UI.

Think about Chateau basically a French Latifundia years later.

Honestly I think it should be Curia I've been pushing it since the project began...

I know history quite well.

Or we could take a limb out... Triumphal arch replaces courthouse.

Or Campus Martius. UW Grants huge bonuses can only be built in capital.

Replaces Oxford University available MUCH earlier.

Rome should have things to build.

Otherwise their UA is non synergistic.

Basically here is an idea grants instead of free scientist grants more bonuses.

Rome was slaveholding like everyone else at the time yada yada yada.

If themed +3 culture

Available much earlier than Oxford. Requires barracks.

Grants +50 culture scaling with era when tech researched

Grants +100 culture nswa when city conquered

Grants +5 culture swa when bulding is produced empirewide

Grants +5 culture swa when unit is bought empirewide

CAN ONLY be built in capital

Or separate build

+50 tech culture

+100 culture on conquest

Bonus creating buildings +20%

+5% culture per ancient policy adopted

CAN ONLY BE BUILT IN CAPITAL.

Free melee whenever Social policy adopted.

This is ROME for crying out loud. Not the Confederate USA.

They should be the scariest civ to start near.

They went from monarchy to republic to empire in a few hundred years.

Not an empire was seen like it till the Inca.

It was not paradise yes but it was the bringer of progress especially for the people's of Europe.

The ottonans called themselves successors of Rome so did Russia so did the Byzantines.

Rome should have a strong policy boost early on. Like NUTS.

The way Rome should play is oh I'm Rome I'm going to grab everything I can FAST

The way Rome plays now is like meh I'm Rome I'm a little pansy. I'm gonna take 2 cities by classical era on diety. Rome should be like OH pooehy it's Rome fight for life Survive till midieval and their not as scary.

How do you do this simple NSWA crazy bonuses in the city of Rome... It's called THE GLORY of Rome.

Campus Marius is the way to do it.

Crazy bonuses.

Maybe +5 culture +5 faith

The +50 culture tech

Camon people Rome is the capital of capitals. Not a city has been seen like it. They control more of the world than any city in history.

A UW that can only be build in capital is the way to do it.

Otherwise think about it Rome plays like this in order to conquer a second City they put themselves at a diadvantage. A terrifying UW not like Germany but something that tilts the classical era like crazy their way is the way to go.

Last edited:
Wait if you don't like the Latifundia UI (which yields production) because it doesn't directly interact with the +25% bonus from the UA, then how could you possibly even suggest a unique wonder, which can only be built once, and only in the capital?

It would be more correct to call a latifundium a classical era version of a Hacienda. Besides, the chateau is one of the least interesting, least interactive UIs in the game.

THE WHOLE POINT is by UA GLORY of ROME but there's nothing strong about capital it's crappy by the time you built military units to conquer your "glory is in spreading nada"

Cool idea campus marius +5 C +5 F the Oxford remplacement 2 techs earlier req. Barracks

+50 culture swa when tech.

+100c when city conquered in mideival that's insignifant like 2 turns.

+50% production towards buildings in city.

+20 culture whenever building constructed.

+10 cswa whenever unit produced empirewide.

Or maybe other way to do it

Replaces Oxford available earlier

+10 C +10 F +10 production.

Comon people this is ROMe not a CITY has influenced society more.

Oh maybe grants +5 culture and faith to each city that sends a trade tour to it. The midieval ages we're all about Rome this Rome that. In non ygaemp games Rome is non city. Camon give glory to Rome where it is deserved. Fine maybe just the city of Rome maybe make that superpower UW last on conquest.

THIS is why ygaemp game are bleh Rome is lame it's a citystate. It's like nothing.

In reality Rome as a city controlled the midieval ages the rennaisance not to mention the empire. The UA should belong to Germany if nothing else. Rome should be a legit terror more than the ZULUS.

Last edited:
I mean am I the ONLY one who plays civ 5 as a history simulator. A chance to rewrite history. NO CITY HAS influenced history like ROME. This is ROME not Cuzco. Aybe give the UW basically a faith and culture bonus towards trade routes sent to Rome. Make Rome scary like it was. The entire world revolved around Rome and Jerusalem. For YEARS if I could redo VOX I would change things similarly.

Make it fun make it realistic. History is more than words it's world's the chance to remake history. Rome should be remade on this to reflect the city that changes history because it did. For better and worse without it history would be non-existent. Germany, France Britain, Spain, Europe would be nothing more than tribes. Good idea go to YouTube and watch video on what world would be like if Carthage beat Rome. Really think about things why does ygaemp always wind up crazy unfair for Europe.

It's all about Rome. If I would redo vox I would give Rome UA bonus towards +% in capital and give them mega wonder in capital.

That is Rome playing it or real life.

Fair Rome... Equal Rome. Mega strong capital and crazy bonuses for expansion capture THE GLORY of ROME. Not the pitifulfness of Rome not the glory of the empire.

If I am being honest here, I am starting to skimp over Jarula's rants. Walls of text that are passionate but seem to reach no conclusion.

Limited-use-per-city (given placement requirements), production-providing UI actually works pretty well for Rome's idea - expanding, whether peacefully or by war. Whatever we add doesn't directly need to add to the UA - more flexibility in gameplay if it doesn't, really.

Tee hee hee Fox that sux. Not paying attention to the game. Nor really playing it do you play the game as historic simulator or the game as ramndom on random map.

The way you play it's not even a fun game. Ynaemp is LAME. Glory of Rome romes UA is lame it's like glory of average city in era that doesn't expand.

I like the idea of giving a diversity of unique 'civilian' bonuses. Everyone gets a UB, of course, because they are easy, but it's nice to have the second one be a UI or a UW.

knowing that there are resources that exist to create a Roman UI makes me want to build one because it would give diversity to the available UCs. UIs also change how each civ actually LOOKS in a very real way as well, so they create the most tangible, and reinforceable way of grounding your experience.
I know history quite well.
uh huh...
I mean am I the ONLY one who plays civ 5 as a history simulator. A chance to rewrite history.
No, I play it as, more or less, an educational board game with a veneer of historicity; like 7 wonders. If I wanted better historicity I would be playing Europa Universalis. In my view, playing this game as a sort of editorializing of history isn't only ill-advised, it's actually anti-intellectual. You can do real damage to your worldview and outlook by fetishizing a culture like that. ESPECIALLY if your method of fetishizing that culture requires you to act out the destruction of other cultures.
@FoxOfWar: [...]The way you play it's not even a fun game. Ynaemp is LAME[....]
If you feel at liberty to call out others for the "lameness" of the way other people like to enjoy their toys, then I should feel free to call out the dangers of how you play with yours.

Have you considered that one of the reasons why one might desire a semblance of balance for each civ is out of respect for cultures and perspectives that are different from their own? My aim for this mod isn't to pick winners, it's to create something and in doing so educate myself and others

EDIT: as an interesting aside, This video got me thinking about this game in new ways, and helped solidify some of the unease I felt in this game and the worldview it espouses. Always think critically, always ask questions

Last edited:
I agree with the UI's changing how a civ looks; Monolithic Church really makes Ethiopia's lands look sweet, for example.

Also while historicity is a groundwork to go from, gameplay, I would think, is a rather more important consideration here. This is a project for modding an already-really-well-done mod for a very extensive game after all. Your hypothetical civ can be every bit as historically accurate it can, but if it's boring to play or doesn't work in the context of VP, it might as well not exist.

LAME Lame LAME. Your ROME is LAME like LAME not Rome

Nothing like Rome megacivlopolis. Might as well be noncity. This is Rome for crying out loud it's not fun. Without it. Your civ could be fun if they already expand worldwide but it's not fun if they don't imagine people who play ynaemp.. don't you want that Rome that city that lests through the ages?

What about that city?

A UW is the way to do it. It's so easy. The UW I designed is weaker than Teutonic order but lasts through the ages? Camon people you act like Rome did not exists.

A UW that makes Rome scary like I proposed lasts throughout the ages. It makes a capital that no is worth a damn. That is the whole point of Rome. A city which makes other civs go oh wait this is Rome the best way to do it is the way I proposed.

Last edited:
I appreciate the valid response I've been drinking to get my creative juices flowing.
I do tend to forget this is an E rated game many people who are playing it are not adults or they are playing it from the previous
Disposition they are not playing to make up for the post of something. They are just killing time a game is a game. Nothing more.

It's not a means of making up for various things it's not the chance to imagine a alternate timeline. It's reality as horsehockey and and and lamae as it exists.

Maybe a Unique mod with UW would be fair.

I can imagine it UW campus Marius. if I I new how to mod it I would have it on steam.

In fact I would mod it + 5 c scwa per ancient policy instead of +50

Make available at calaendar

+2% c +2% f +2%prod in city per policy an basically buff the city per policy.

I would make campus Marius the Roman Vietnam.

The glory of Rome city Rome as a capital never had that makes it scary. In a small empire Rome would be ok but it a spreading empire the force that makes ygaemp have a reason to send trade routes to it maybe +2 c f and prod for each trade route scaling with era sent to the city. That's if I had my choice.

Rome as a city would be mega to go with romes UA. Literally a reason for Rome to dive into ancient policies.

It would effect the entire ancient world everyone would send trade routes to Rome. For their benefits.

If I had my choice the game would be like oh there's Rome that's where my trade routes be going until better option.

For all I care you guys can have UM. Or Ugp. That UW is what I want. In YGAEMP it may be slightly OP but that terror is what Rome should have.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm pretty much at my wit's end here with my mod contributions. Can someone with better coding chops help me?

I try to run my mod through SQLite and I get 2 strange bugs:
- no table exists error for 'Language_en_US' table. My code does not differ from that used within the CBP
- Indonesia/Prau/UnitArtDef.sql: Unique constraint failed ArtDefine_UnitInfos.Type

I should note that in one the first error, I copied the format wholesale from the CBP itself. In the second, the ArtDefine codes are copied wholely unaltered from the original mod

Creating a second spreadsheet for each civ now. Another way of viewing civs and post possible UCs for new ones that would be organized by civ instead of by date, like this forum, which is getting really long. Please feel free to create, edit, and comment on the pages; I've only built the first 9 (of 43) so far.

First spreadsheet here

EDIT: I made icons for the tophet

Attachments

• tophet.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Creating a second spreadsheet for each civ now. Another way of viewing civs and post possible UCs for new ones that would be organized by civ instead of by date, like this forum, which is getting really long. Please feel free to create, edit, and comment on the pages; I've only built the first 9 (of 43) so far.

First spreadsheet here

EDIT: I made icons for the tophet

You could add the Woodman promotion to the Pracinha, or simply has no additional cost of movement in the jungle and the forest.

I think the Samba School is doing well, doing exactly what it should, generating musicians. Even if it is tempting to spread several samba schools throughout the empire, this would put the player at risk for neglecting other constructions.
I suggest increasing the cost of production.

I liked the events for Byzantine.

About the Eagle, why not woodman and sentry?

I liked what they did with Carthage, it makes them very unique.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that was the one idea I had for the Monitor, which I think we deemed a bit boring. How about it being one-unit 'Gunboat Diplomacy' ie. parking it in city-state territory gives influence per turn? Since it takes a strategic resource, it can't be spammed willy-nilly, and given how influence works lately, it would be a small help but not overpowered anyway.

Landwehr's promotions are a bit at odds with each other: do you want them to be in allied city-state territory, or garrisoned in your own cities for the bonus?

Also EDIT: Derp, I completely done forgot about the tophet icon making. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom