5 hrs and 15 minutes

I would suggest taking a heap of A4 sheets and trying to origami them randomly and then figuring out what is what you just made.

Cav, take up sketching/painting. You could sit on your deck and do watercolors of the ocean and distant islands. If you are good, pics of the kids.

What kind of 2001 era internet do you have? Are you on dial up? 56k? Civ5 is 8GB on harddrive, zipped up download is probably 6gb max, probably less than that. At a fairly mediocre 24mbps = 3megabytes/s, 6 gb = 6,144 mb / 3 = 2048 seconds which is 34 minutes. To achieve 5 hours download time you'd have to be at like 350kbps or like 3 mbps. Ok that's not quite dial up speed, dsl speed I suppose. Most cell phone networks are faster than that.
I think that's what we get, 3 mbps...with the upgraded plan for which we pay $22ish/mo. A lot better than things used to be. Normally I do such stuff at night, but had nothing better to do.

It's Family Day here in Canada, meaning that we get to sleep in and try to avoid our families so that we can have a nice relaxing day without anyone bothering us. I'm also sitting here with not much to do.

Too much good advice on how to run your life? :)

Cav, take up sketching/painting. You could sit on your deck and do watercolors of the ocean and distant islands. If you are good, pics of the kids.

You can't make me, you can't make me. ;) My regret in life is not taking up violin when young. If I tried now I'd just make the neighbors go into civil unrest.

Some kid was "playing" the recorder outside the other day. I really wanted to go out there and show him the correct fingering so he wouldn't keep playing off-key...

Sorry, I'm not about to call anyone "son" except in the adoptive sense, and I'm addressing one of my male cats.

This was an assault on the ears.

You can't make me, you can't make me. ;) My regret in life is not taking up violin when young. If I tried now I'd just make the neighbors go into civil unrest.

Hey don't knock civil unrest until you've tried it. It's never too late to start learning how to play the violin

I think that's what we get, 3 mbps...with the upgraded plan for which we pay $22ish/mo. A lot better than things used to be. Normally I do such stuff at night, but had nothing better to do.
my sympathies mate
I did this last month on my laptop, then had to decide which DLCs to get, asked on the civ V forum where it stuck in the top of the stickies for 2 weeks before I got an answer (stuff like that doesn't happen in the Civ.4 forums) then I remember OT and got an answer and helpful deal suggestions in like 20 minutes
so look on the bright side you don't /didn't have to wait 2 weeks :)

Some kid was "playing" the recorder outside the other day. I really wanted to go out there and show him the correct fingering so he wouldn't keep playing off-key...

A recorder? Like a tape recorder? Is there a wrong way to play it other than too loud? Been away for a while maybe they have a new and irritating musical instrument?

Hey don't knock civil unrest until you've tried it. It's never too late to start learning how to play the violin
Takes resources. gotta pay someone to teach, buy a violin...got other priorities, kids. If Trump really separates kids from their parents I might give civil unrest a whirl one of these days when back in the US.

my sympathies mate
I did this last month on my laptop, then had to decide which DLCs to get, asked on the civ V forum where it stuck in the top of the stickies for 2 weeks before I got an answer (stuff like that doesn't happen in the Civ.4 forums) then I remember OT and got an answer and helpful deal suggestions in like 20 minutes
so look on the bright side you don't /didn't have to wait 2 weeks :)

Its not so bad really. Nice place to live, great views to look at while waiting for downloads. Steam does all my downloads, I just click subscribe. :dunno:

A recorder? Like a tape recorder? Is there a wrong way to play it other than too loud? Been away for a while maybe they have a new and irritating musical instrument?
It's a musical instrument, normally classified as a woodwind, but the cheap ones are made of plastic these days. Most public school kids in Canada have to go through the torture of learning to play it, in elementary school. The difference is that some of us really do learn to play it and can produce songs without the high-pitched whistles and squeals that hurt everyone else's ears and make them want to crack the thing over their knees and throw the two halves in the garbage.

They're not new. This is an instrument that's been around for centuries, in some form or other.

The kid in question was one who could play 3/4 of the song but was hung up on the last line... and kept repeating it over, and over, and over... drove me into quite a fit of swearing. And don't tell me to close my windows. They were closed.

Yeah, but why is it called a recorder? 1. It looks like a flute. 2. It isn't recording anything.
Why are there different names for flutes, clarinets, oboes, pennywhistles, and recorders? They're all the same general type of instrument; for that matter, organs are classified as reed instruments, while pianos are percussion instruments.

I don't know why it's called a recorder.

When I first came over to Canada and watched the South Park episode about the brown noise/recorder trip... I didn't understand that the episode was about flute-like things. I thought that they were flute-like things that had recording devices attached in some way. Only later did my friend clarify that "oh it's just basically a flute, nothing is being recorded, don't worry about it"

If nothing's being recorded, it's not a recorder. Clearly.

The OED links it to the following definition of the verb "record":

Of a songbird (rarely of a person): to practise or sing (a tune) in an undertone; to go over (a song or tune) quietly or silently; to produce subsong.

They use the word "apparently" in their etymology, which means that they're not certain of this derivation.

But keep in mind that the word "record" means, fundamentally, "to repeat until you get something by heart," and in a sense like that long predates any electronic means for reproducing sound. "Record" in your sense of it, warpus, is the lexicographical johnny-come-lately.

Top Bottom