1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

52 shades of Sid - a story of deities

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Pedro78, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Rusten

Rusten Chieftain

Yeah I think I would want to move regardless. If warrior doesn't reveal anything I'd send the settler 1E-1SE and settle on the PH (or 1SE of sheep) in the absolute worst case scenario. But I can't imagine it getting any worse.

SiP or 1W is too uninspiring.

2. sampsa

sampsa The Czar

Dunno, AH is even two techs away so that fp is valuable for us (this sentence tells a lot about this start). I think I'd go 1W if my life depended on this game. ;)

3. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

I would move towards the PH 3s, there has to be something righto.. ;)
    At minimum more forests i guess, also looks like there might be rivers from the starting screenie.
    1 floodplains is imo not worth staying up there.

4. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

First impulse was warrior SW, settler 2S, then re-evaluate. Now I'm thinking warrior SE, settler 2SW (unless warrior spots something awesome E of forests), next turn warrior 1S to PH, then re-evaluate. This should give you the most info and still leave all relevant T1 settling options, as well as T2 on 3S PH, open.

I wouldn't stay at that lousy northern beach. But then again, my life doesn't depend on this game either.

5. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Hmm especially if my life would depend on that game, i would move.
    Staying there can easily result in a horrible game, imo ;)

6. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

Interesting debate for sure!

My feeling is that settling 3S will be an even more commerce-poor start in the very early turns as it loses the FP. Will also have 0 food unless you tech AH. More forests won't do me much good as I won't get BW for a long time. By the way the game shows a blue circle 1E when the Settler is selected. I've tried to figure out how these work, but haven't found any logic in it, maybe someone has a clue?

Too uninspiring, but isn't it the safest move? I'm really sceptical about moving into this plains crap...

Yup it's ugly... but settling 3S could be worse, right?

@elitetroops I like this move, leaves all options open. But I'm still not sure I want to waste that turn.

7. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Well your warrior will scout ahead, so it's not blind ~~
    What Elite said, i would consider keeping all options open on such a start as highest priority.
    Sip or moving 1w on turn 0? Nope, i would never do that.

8. sampsa

sampsa The Czar

Maybe I'm too scared of having only AH-food. Hunting-AH takes like 19 turns? Agri-AH two turns more? Love these starting techs. ;)

9. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

Hmmmm... My guts tell me that moving is wrong. But a few months ago I wouldn't even have moved away from fresh water in the first place lol. And I certainly still have a lot to learn about this game (otherwise I would have named the thread "sit down and watch" :D). And listening to advice has done me some good in the past, so I think I'll move and see ;)

Too bad I don't have the time to start any serious games until Saturday, really eager to play that one. Oh and this start isn't as depressing as it might look : the start seen in the first screenshot wouldn't have led to such a discussion ^^

Oh and btw @sampsa you said that you needed practice on deity, feel like joining in this one? :goodjob:

10. sampsa

sampsa The Czar

:lol: Nope, not ready for this crap. GL

11. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Hmm i finished my HoF culture game (a different experience :b but i like that i always complete those), might be tempted..
    what map type? No writeup probably thou, was relaxing to play without.

12. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

That's all right, you'll miss all the fun though :D

@Fippy
    Have a link to that HoF game? I haven't played culture for a while, but it's fun from times to times, a different kind of game indeed.
    This one is continents. Write-up would be nice, but do as you feel :)

13. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

14. Pedro78

Pedro78 Chieftain

Culture wins are very map-dependant so I can't tell how good 1455 AD actually is, but it certainly looks nice when "watched from above" :)
    Might play for the HoF some day, but right now I don't feel ready, and am not patient enough.

Spoiler safe to open? You scare me lol

15. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Hard to say ;)
    You would find out soon anyways after you start playing, but if you want to keep that surprise dun open :)

16. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Then again it's not so bad, we have seen worse..
    Spoiler :
    Fast played, could surely be optimized like that monument in Damascus ugh..should be granary hammers into library.
    Barbs no issue soon with copper, and will basically be a usual solve happy problems Iso map

Attached Files:

17. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

Spoiler :
    warrior..barracks..warri..ba..wa..waaaaaah ;)
    Beelining Mona might be the only choice here, but it's beyond boring and those poor (almost) Iso maps can be an exercise in self torture.
    Oh just met Pacal, nothing for trade thou.

Attached Files:

18. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

lol (t100 spoiler or so)
    Spoiler :
    So Pacal suddenly trades happy resis, looks like that works on ocean if he has culture there.
    After teching Mona and building all those city guards, what a tease ;)
    Meanwhile endless streams of barb Axes coming, in what torture chamber did Pedro find this map ~~

19. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Tbh, if warrior doesn't find anything, I am settling 1W. Decent commerce and AH can be skipped (farm sheep). Grow to size 3 on warriors, quick (ish) settler. Capital will be moved later. This is Continents, so there should be enough space. Staying on the coast keeps some options open. It will also reveal more information about the north.

Losing 3-4 turns just to end up in a (potentially) low commerce environment, while being so far away from Archery... I don't know. If 3S has something nice, cool. 2nd city is grabbing it. Just imagine that the FP is dry rice or something. That's enough food.

I want to suffer.

Pedro78 and sampsa like this.
  20. Fippy

Fippy Phoenix

For Lain (safe to open, no spoiler ;))
    Spoiler :

Attached Files: