6otM 01 - After Actions

Turn 333 with Nero score.

Only my second game so I am still learning a lot. Egypt DOW on me around turn 60 so I took her best 2 cities. Attacked Russia when they were the only other Civ close to me in score.
I had a lot of fun, and was surprised how easy this difficulty was for me. Time for Immortal i guess

Attachments

• TRAJAN WIN.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 210
Victory Turn 277, Score 708.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?
Had in total 11 cities, including 2 French and two Russian cities.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Commerce and production first, then science.

- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.

No, ignored religion.

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?
France went to war early on so they had to go. My new and flashy archers could not be left idle after that war so the Russians were next
It helped with expansion, seems more efficient than building my own settlers.

- Were City-States helpful?
Yes, and I especially like Toronto with the added range for factory bonus

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
Never got the ability to replant forests.

- Did you enjoy the game?
Of course :) it was my first completed civ 6 game.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 277 1812 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 196
Won turn 321, score 612.

This was my first completed Civ 6 game, and I was learning it as I played. As usual in Civ, I loved the beginning of the game but end game became tedious as it was all about clicking next turn and waiting for those Space Race projects to complete.

I settled a couple of cities and then conquered France (she only had Paris) and Egypt (4 cities or so). I didn't attack Russia as I figured he'd be a valuable ally throughout the game, seeing that he likes technically and culturally advanced civs. Instead, I settled a few more cities, some on the coast and some near luxuries that I wanted, but with no real strategy.

I got a +15% food pantheon, but didn't manage to found a religion. I had heaps of faith but didn't really know what to do with it.

Barbs were a minor annoyance at times but never a real threat. Otherwise it was smooth sailing throughout, AI never threatened me and I was way ahead in tech soon enough.

A weird thing happened at one point when I upgraded a legion and my gold income went from +300 to -200 or so. All my cities went into revolt and some of my units were disbanded. Therefore I reloaded and played everything exactly as before but without upgrading the legion, and this time the game continued fine. Must have been some bug. I hope this doesn't disqualify my game from the GOTM (will there be an official score list yet?).

Attachments

• TRAJAN 321 1900 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 191
Turn 386 (1965 AD) Science Victory Score 674 (Nero)

I was pleased with how it turned out, given that this was my first completed game of Civ6 - and second game of Civ6 started.

Founded 10, captured 2.

I prioritized things that had been boosted. Seemed more important than researching in any particular order. Although with all the sneak attacks (France, Arabia, Russia) it seems that Urban Defenses is a very nice thing beeline for, especially if you keep the army small to keep the budget under control.

I did not found a religion, but Germany had 5 of 7 remaining Civs converted at the end. They had me nervous, but I had *faith* that the Spanish would block their victory.

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Culture objective?
As typical, I did not start any wars, but I finished the first one that was declared against me. After that I basically turtled. If they declared, I'd wreck their army until they sued for peace. Didn't want to get into any costly wars.

Yes, sending a few envoys to each one seems worth the trouble. And the city state that gives you strategic resources you don't have can be very handy. :)

Big surprise was a sneak attack from the French. They took my 3rd city, but The Legions quickly got produced and eradicated the French.

Very much so. Some UI "quality of life" enhancements are needed, but the basic design of Civ6 seems very sound. A few patches and an expansion or two and I should be on my way to 2000 hours played on Steam...

Thanks for running GOTM! Good, clean fun. :)

On to Greece!

Attachments

• Civ6_6otM01_1964 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 183
Hi All,

Long time lurker, 1st time poster, I'm really enjoying CivVI so far and hopefully will complete all the GotM challenges

Anyway here's the game save is 1 turn after victory (sorry), finished pre patch

Finished late turn 358, Score 955

Founded 7, captured 10

No real priorities, finished both tech trees before turn 300 but took long time to build parts due to not being sure how to go about it as I was learning as I went about Science victory

No religion, was infected by a couple of outsiders but they contributed nothing, faith purchased a couple of great people tho

- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?
I tried really, really hard to stay peaceful, at this level I thought the best way to add some extra challenge would be to attempt a win without any conflict. Failed miserably, got to about turn 125ish before Egypt declared on me just as I was establishing 5th and 6th cities, probably because my army at that stage was almost non-existent. Was so annoyed I rage quit but then came back a week or so later to finish the game. Anyway before I finished off Cleo, France declared on me as well so the hastily constructed army had to fight two fronts. Dunno if it slowed up the victory (I think the peaceful start did that), certainly had a lot more cities afterwards.

Nope didn't explore at all, only met 4 and had a game long battle with Peter for Stockholm ending up at 25 envoys each!

Wouldn't say I was surprised by much but certainly learned a bit about the game

Absolutely, wouldnt have finished it otherwise.

Cant wait to get stuck into Gorgo now

Attachments

• Civ6_6otM01_4000 BC.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 186
Science victory on turn 350, score 460, had only 5 cities (although I don't really want to have many cities, that'd probably be a better strategy in general).

Attachments

• Civ6_6otM01_4000 BC.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 177
Score 1270
Turn 371

- How many cities did you settle or capture? 32 cities - Building the cities gave the bonus road so I could travel quickly and make a ton of extra gold.
- Did religion come into play in your game, please explain. Yes, I used it to espand on my science via Wat and Stewardship. Also I was able to buy units and building with faith in Theocracy.
- How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective? - Some early as I took out France with Legions, later in response to attacks from religious conversion.
- Were City-States helpful? Yes, I eneded up using them to trade with and use the benefits of having them as a Suzerian.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? I ended up finishing the tech tree long before I could build the space parts.
- Did you enjoy the game? Yes, although the last half was pretty boring just trying to build the space fleet.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 371 1950 AD - Final.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 199
Science victory on turn 341, score 1616

Attachments

• TRAJAN_0341.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 220
SCIENCE VICTORY TURN 319 AND SCORE 763

Just recently discovered this group, I'm very happy that I can play these games of the month for Civ 6 from the start.

I think I founded about 8 or nine cities, but captured 2 French cities and 4 Egyptian cities.

My strategy is the same that most people are doing -getting those comertial hubs, harbors and industrial districts in every city I can. Then, I headed for policies that would give me science, production and gold.

I actually found a religion but I didn't actually played it. Russia converted all the cities in my continent and Spain did the same at theirs. Then, I gave Saladin open borders so he could bring his religion and erase Russia's religion, just to play safe, I didn't want any AI winning a religious victory right under my nose. Saladin converted all my cities by the end of the game.

- How much warring did you do?
I didn't declare war on anyone -well, just once, very early, on Cleopatra to steal her settler. Then, when Cat declared war I conquered France. Russia declared two wars but I was way ahead of them in technology. I just defended, I was too lazy to conquer then. On late game Cleo also declared war, and I completely destroyed her because I was too bored of just waiting my science victory to happen.

Yes, Hong Kong specially and the other scientific one which the name I forgot.

King is easier than I thought. I finished Gorgo game first, and that game was very very hard to me. This one was a piece of cake.

Yes, but I think next time we try science victory we should play on Immortal or Deity.

Attachments

• 6otM01 TRAJAN 319 1896 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 194
Won with Science on turn 375 and had a pretty sweet score of 1103

Spoiler :
upload_2016-11-30_20-56-6.png

I'm not really sure... I think I had 28 cities total and probably was close to a 65/35 split, with 65 being captured.
Tried to get to Democracy ASAP
Nope. Not at all. I was concentrating on the required victory condition
I was surprised by how much I warred. First I just tried to create a wall of cities to keep other civs out. I started by capturing a city-state and then France declared war on me so I messed them up good. After I took Paris, Egypt sent a settler on the inside of my "wall of cities" and so I attacked the city they planted and razed it. I was pretty concerned with growth for a while after that and then got upset with the other civs on my continent breaking their promises of spying so I wiped them out. No one was really a threat to me in any aspect of the game the whole way through.
Not really... I ended up conquering most of them at the first chance I got.
Not that I can think of. I found this game to be pretty easy overall. I've been playing #OneMoreTurn trying to win all the other victory conditions that I can (I didn't get a religion)
It was not very challenging but yes. This was my first Civ of the Month game ever and my first Science Victory!

Attachments

• Civ6_6otM01_1953_T374_Sci.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Long time no see, CivFanatics! I played the Civ3 and Civ5 GOTMs regularly for years, but haven't visited in probably 3-4 years now. It's great to be back to GOTMs!

T352 (1931AD) victory, score 790 (Neville Chamberlain)
Spoiler Pic :

This is my first Civ 6 game above Prince, and my first attempt at a science victory, so there were a LOT of things that I didn't know about and would do totally differently next time. First and foremost, I had no idea that a science victory was really just going to be a production victory in disguise! I was done with the required techs centuries early, but very low production in most of my cities meant victory took a very long time.

I settled in place. Barbarians were surprisingly light for me, the first time that's been the case in my half-dozen or so games so far. Intial builds were Scout > Scout > Monument > Builder, because I'm still stuck in Civ5 patterns and didn't yet know better. Found to the north very quickly, then sent everyone south, meeting France and Russia long before Egypt found me.

My plan was to beeline for Iron Working, use legions to take out France, and use the extra cities to make the game go smoother. Just as IW came in and my four warriors were ready to upgrade, I saw this:
Spoiler :

Catherine DOW'd me just as I was about to go after her. Didn't take long at all before she folded without taking out a single unit, giving me Paris, Amiens, and Rouen. I healed up and sent the forces on to St. Petersburg, which was all Russia ever managed to get built. Took a few turns, but once everyone was in place the city fell quickly and by turn 105 I had two notches on my belt. I thought it'd be smooth sailing.

Not so much. I spent nearly 80 turns in on-again-off-again wars against Egypt. I was over-confident in the first go-round, and over-cautious in the second. Not having internalized the new movement rules left my guys stranded in places where they were susceptible to ranged attacks and yet couldn't adequately fight back.

By the time Egypt fell, I was comfortably in command of the game, and would remain so, peacefully. The only issue from turn 180 on was Spain's religious zealotry. Despite trying, I hadn't managed to found a religion, and the one I took over from Russia wasn't really too useful for me.I finally learned that Apostles can heal on the Holy Site after very many guys wasted, so chalk that up to experience.

The other aspect of the game I'd mostly ignored before this was spying, and that cost me dearly. With very low production in Rome, I kept having enemy spies sabotage my industrial district during the Spaceport build - it took probably 50 turns just for the spaceport between stops and starts to repair production. I built a second spaceport at the same time in St. Petersburg, which ended up as a much better production city. Still, spaceport production started probably 1600 or 1650 and I didn't launch until 1931, so it was a verrrry slow endgame. Lessons learned all around though. Good to be back!

Attachments

• TRAJAN 352 1931 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Oops, previous save is immediately pre-victory, with the "Complete my spaceship" great person in place and ready to activate. Here's the post-victory save.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 352 1931 ADpv.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 220
Science Victory
turn 204 (1430AD)
I am a very slow player (just finished last night) but I have very strong micromanagement skills. This is what makes me a slow player. It is my gift, it is my curse...

Spoiler :
Civ6 Gotm1 Victory.png

St. Petersburg had a LOT of hills! Disctrict adjacency-bonuses are meaningless, Hills are everything. Well...except for those Stacking Factory/Powerplant bonuses. God I love Toronto.

How many cities did you settle or capture?
21 cities total
-6 Captured (3 before I founded my own first)

I settled every location that would allow me to build a Bath and which could provide an Industrial zone in good proximity to my heartland for lots of factory/powerplant bonuses. Baths are good, I don't know why anybody would ever forgo them. They're even worth it in cities that already have fresh water.

I eventually got tired of the micromanagement and long development times of late-game cities when the district costs are high, so I stopped founding cities. I could have blanketed the continent, but got bored.

What did you prioritize for research and policies?
-Currency for Commerce Hubs
-Apprenticeship for Industrial Zones and +1 Mine Production
-Industrialization for Factories and +1 Mine Production
-Electricity for Power Plants
Then I just beelined for all the spaceship techs and never really looked back. Getting Replaceable Parts sooner for the farm boost might have been good.

Production is King. Production is what allows you to get other things faster, and there is no such thing as too much production. Any "excess" production you may end up with can just be converted into GP points and Science/Gold via district projects. This is why I had 2,000+ science at the end.

Did religion come into play in your game, please explain.
I toyed around with it, preserving Russia's Eastern Orthodox religion for the "Feed the world" bonus in otherwise food-poor St. Petersburg. I eventually founded Taoism for the amenity-bonus belief and Papal Primacy to boost my city state bonuses. It did not end up being a major factor, except maybe giving me more science.

I mostly just played with religion to try it out. This was the first "serious" game of Civ6 I'd played.

How much warring did you do? Was it effective in supporting your Science objective?
I did an early Slinger -> Archer rush, conquered the nearby Kumasi for its rich hills and pastures, then overran France and Russia, completing my wave of conquest by turn 67. Saladin eventually declared pointless war on me, and so I took his two cities from him, even though I had grown tired of expanding.

Population is power, and every city you conquer or settler you capture is one you don't have to build yourself, and will not drive up the cost of future expansion. Conquest is very cost effective, especially early-game when there's not a lot of strong options for what to spend your production on besides expansion.

Were City-States helpful?
-Kumasi I conquered and its position gave me a very early production powerhouse that let me settle and develop my region of the world. Maybe its culture could have been nice, but I misread its bonus when I was deciding whether to conquer it.
-Stockholm won me a Great Prophet race, and really helped pull in a lot of GP points over the course of the game.
-Hattusa gave me some extra science, but its resources were largely inconsequential except for some oil to play around with military units I didn't need.
-Hong Kong was nice for a development boost, its production effectively acting as +1 population in each city. The bonus to Projects at the end was not noticeable.
-Lisbon was the only city I could make a Trade Route to on the other continent. I was hoping to establish a trading post there and earn some extra city-state envoys through missions, but I ended up winning too soon. Oh well.
-Toronto was it's usual OP self, boosting my Heartland cities up above 130 production as soon as I got it.

...and none of the rest of the city states mattered.

Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
I was surprised at just how much production the Space Victory actually cost, but also surprised at how much production I could end up getting.

Did you enjoy the game?
It got a bit tedious towards the end, with so much territory to manage. I restrained myself from too much conquest since it seemed un-necessary and would just make my management problems worse. Would have been much easier to go for a Domination victory and just killed everybody.

One major Caveat:
I made heavy use of Building/Selling Heavy Chariots (with the relevant policy bonuses) in the early/mid game, eventually culminating in a massive Upgrade/Sale of 44 Chariots into Knights that netted me 9500 gold (which I spent on Builders and territory expansion). Unit-disband gold probably earned me 20-25 turns of extra speed, maybe more. I was glad when they patched that out (which happened right after my massive sale) since it was very tedious but I found myself unable to resist the temptation of its efficiency.

Attachments

• TRAJAN 204 1430 AD Victory.Civ6Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
I won a science victory in turn 414, year 1993 with a score of 767.
Settled in place.
built great library and oxford university in Rome. campus districts and buildings, science policies, and great scientists helped me quickly progress through the technology tree.
Had a few wars with Russia and France taking 2 or 3 cities from each including both of their capitals.
This was a fun game and a good introduction to civ vi for me. Definitely enjoyed it!

Attachments

• TRAJAN 414 1993 AD.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 197
So, do we upload our saves in this thread?

Wow, was the last 100 years and 4+ hours tedious. Learned all the techs, took forever to build spaceports and parts.
As always, xOTM is only reason I finish my games.
Maybe I will make time to read this thread sometime.
I kind of like civ6, but too slow on my computer.

thanks for hosting/organizing

Attachments

• TRAJAN 384 1963 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 167
This 6otM has ended.

If you wish to continue to post here, that is fine. The results will cover those submission prior to this post.

Won on turn 267 (1780 AD)

Took over the whole continent and St. Petersburg being my most productive city.

fishing.jpg

Attachments

• TRAJAN 267 1780 n. Chr..Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
I finally bought this game after searching for something to fill my CIV cravings. I have been working through all of the GOTM's starting from the beginning - and even with all of the spoilers it has been a challenge to complete these. I played through this one a couple of times after getting a science victory and messing up the save file. I like to keep them for myself regardless of if I will be sharing them. Nonetheless, I did manage to finish this one within a respectable turn count. I will continue trying to improve my play and get to faster victories.

I've kind of noticed a pattern in my playthroughs and in the data posted in the OAR and AAR's for each GOTM. In any case, I am happy with my purchase and look forward to playing through each of these. I will be moving on to GOTM 002, but...it too will be a replay. Regardless, it is great fun and it these threads are a tremendous resource for those seeking to develop skill as a CIV player.

Maybe a little late to the party but I won a science victory on turn 300 :D

I have never participated in one of these so I figured I'd start from the beginning. It was interesting playing w/ the base game as I started Civ 6 with Gathering Storm. I had no idea what I was doing for the most part and had quite a few gotchas learning the old mechanics but I really enjoyed it.

1672328104783.png

Attachments

• 6otm 01_0300.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 1672328078527.png
    1672328078527.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Top Bottom