Who was the better player?

• Isaiah Thomas

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Scotty Pippen

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Kyriakos

Creator
Recently - for whatever reason - I have been watching a lot of videos of Isaiah Thomas and the 89-90 Pistons. Now I never got to see those games when I still cared about basketball, cause by that time it was the second year of the Bulls era (Bulls vs Blazers, iirc in 1992). So I never really had heard much about Isiah - I knew he existed, but that was about it.
I have to say that he seemed to be an awesome player. Also it was enraging just how petty Jordan and his sidekick Pippen were to him. And at least MJ is probably the best player of all time, so he gets some license to be a jerk, but Pippen was never Isiah-level, so it comes across as cheap for him to talk trash :)
I mean Pippen never won any championship without Jordan, and the Bulls while led by Pippen were pretty irrelevant. Some degree of respect should be shown to one's betters, imo :)

So this is a poll about Isiah vs Pippen, namely who was a better player.

I am including a video because it is funny ^_^

Does this belong in the sports forum?

They played two different positions and were known for very different things.

Isiah's Pistons were fun to watch and there's a lot about the whole gritty-underdog-no-bigtime-stars archetype that's enjoyable to root for. Isiah did some absolutely crazy things as a player, like his 25-point fourth quarter on an injured ankle while attempting to save the 1988 Finals. He and his Pistons didn't get respect at the time and a lot of people have forgotten them since. Buuuut he and his teammates were also responsible for a lot of dirty, dangerous play and it's hard for a lot of fans to get past that. It was gross that Isiah got left off the 1992 Dream Team, but the reason it happened is because he alienated so many of the other players on that team (especially Jordan). That stuff goes both ways - Jordan was a hypercompetitive ass - but they didn't freeze anybody else out. Just Isiah.

Pippen didn't have any of that baggage. He was a great all-around player, one of the best defenders ever, most people liked him, and he ended up with too many rings for one hand while being arguably the greatest second banana of all time. Like...how could you hate that?
According to Barclay, Thomas was the best point guard ever :)
I mean, that's an argument to make, but both Magic Johnson and Steph Curry have played in this league.
Pippen was always second fiddle to Jordan, and he never lead the Bulls to a championship himself.
Yeah, although he came close to leading two teams to titles (1994 Bulls and 2000 Blazers). "Came close" ain't a win to the RINGZZZ crowd, but I think it matters.

Those Bulls won 55 games, swept their first-round opponent, and took the 1994 Knicks (eventual Finals team) to seven games in the second round. They came painfully close to moving on. Meanwhile, Pip's Blazers won 59 games and went to the Western Finals, taking the Shaq-Kobe Lakers to the brink before an almost incomprehensible meltdown in the fourth quarter of Game 7.

"Pretty irrelevant" doesn't seem very fair to me!

It's kinda hard to compare the two. Sure they both played in the same era but they played different positions, different teams, and different skillsets. Pippen is obviously overshadowed by Jordan but was an excellent player in his own right. He was very good on offense and one of the best wing defenders ever. It's kind of unfair to say he never won a championship without Jordan. There are a bunch of things that go into winning a championship (12 players on a team, chemistry between those players, how good the coach is, injuries, etc.) and to put that all on one player ignores all those other factors. He only got to play one full season in his prime without Jordan and even then he was in the MVP race and was one game away from making the Finals.

Thomas on the other hand was the unquestioned leader and best player on the Pistons for most of his career and went to the finals 3 times winning twice. He did everything you could want a point guard to do. Passing, ball handling, shooting, driving to the basket. He was seen as the leader and glue that held the "bad-boy" Pistons together, who were frankly dirty players and at times dangerous.

But the moments that stick in my mind, either fairly or unfairly, that really distinguishes the two players occurred in the playoffs. In the year without Jordan, Pippen and Bulls were in the playoffs and were playing a close game against the Knicks. A timeout was called and the Bulls coach Phil Jackson draws up a play for Pippen to pass the ball to one of his teammates for the last shot. Pippen, apparently thinking he should be the one to take the shot, refused to enter the game for the last play. Compare that with Thomas who was playing in the Finals against the Lakers, sprains his ankle severly. He can hardly walk let alone run and jump. Despite that he reenters the game in the 4th quarter and plays out of his mind. He scored something like 25 points in the final quarter and gave his team a real shot to win. For me, I like the guy who sacrifices himself for the team rather than the guy who pouts about it.

They played two different positions and were known for very different things.

Isiah's Pistons were fun to watch and there's a lot about the whole gritty-underdog-no-bigtime-stars archetype that's enjoyable to root for. Isiah did some absolutely crazy things as a player, like his 25-point fourth quarter on an injured ankle while attempting to save the 1988 Finals. He and his Pistons didn't get respect at the time and a lot of people have forgotten them since. Buuuut he and his teammates were also responsible for a lot of dirty, dangerous play and it's hard for a lot of fans to get past that. It was gross that Isiah got left off the 1992 Dream Team, but the reason it happened is because he alienated so many of the other players on that team (especially Jordan). That stuff goes both ways - Jordan was a hypercompetitive ass - but they didn't freeze anybody else out. Just Isiah.

Pippen didn't have any of that baggage. He was a great all-around player, one of the best defenders ever, most people liked him, and he ended up with too many rings for one hand while being arguably the greatest second banana of all time. Like...how could you hate that?

I mean, that's an argument to make, but both Magic Johnson and Steph Curry have played in this league.

Yeah, although he came close to leading two teams to titles (1994 Bulls and 2000 Blazers). "Came close" ain't a win to the RINGZZZ crowd, but I think it matters.

Those Bulls won 55 games, swept their first-round opponent, and took the 1994 Knicks (eventual Finals team) to seven games in the second round. They came painfully close to moving on. Meanwhile, Pip's Blazers won 59 games and went to the Western Finals, taking the Shaq-Kobe Lakers to the brink before an almost incomprehensible meltdown in the fourth quarter of Game 7.

"Pretty irrelevant" doesn't seem very fair to me!

Pippen obviously was one of the great players, yet I think he just wasn't a leader, and never really could be. When he tried to be that he didn't quite make it (of course when you have Jordan you aren't expected or asked to be a leader either, just the second main scorer). Why would Pippen be regarded as better than Drexler or similar forwards? (iirc Drexler was a forward?). Imo even Barclay (nominally PF) was better than Pippen and an actual leader.

Besides, there are no magic runs by Pippen. I.T. had a few, including scoring 16 points in 90 seconds (iirc the Pistons lost that game in overtime, but who else actually has done this?) :)
Re rings, well, in theory the Pistons could have won at least one more title (1988), and maybe also 1987, so it isn't like the difference even with a team having Jordan was anything notable.

That said, I never liked the Bulls. They just were Jordan and (from 1991 at least) Pippen & some good "1 job" players. Of those the better ones were arguably Kukoc (who never quite adapted to the Nba anyway) and Rodman. At least the Pistons had a more fun team. I know everyone hates Laimbeer, but come on, he was at least funny and could score 3-pointers :) Dumars was very good as well.

But the moments that stick in my mind, either fairly or unfairly, that really distinguishes the two players occurred in the playoffs. In the year without Jordan, Pippen and Bulls were in the playoffs and were playing a close game against the Knicks. A timeout was called and the Bulls coach Phil Jackson draws up a play for Pippen to pass the ball to one of his teammates for the last shot. Pippen, apparently thinking he should be the one to take the shot, refused to enter the game for the last play. Compare that with Thomas who was playing in the Finals against the Lakers, sprains his ankle severly. He can hardly walk let alone run and jump. Despite that he reenters the game in the 4th quarter and plays out of his mind. He scored something like 25 points in the final quarter and gave his team a real shot to win. For me, I like the guy who sacrifices himself for the team rather than the guy who pouts about it.
I call that a failure of Phil Jackson's coaching more than a mental, moral, or skill-based failure of Pippen's. Jackson's whole shtick was that he supposedly knew how to manage the egos on his teams. He wasn't good with Xs and Os, and his triangle was some weird gibberish, but hE cOuLd gEt tHe mOsT oUt oF hIs pLaYeRs. And yet he chose to play along with Jerry Krause's Toni Kukoč fetish rather than keep his star happy and invested.

Isiah never had that kind of outburst against other Pistons, but his coaches never pushed him like that and he wasn't really that kind of player anyway. But he and some of the other veterans did freeze Jordan out of the 1985 All-Star Game just to be dicks.
Pippen obviously was one of the great players, yet I think he just wasn't a leader, and never really could be. When he tried to be that he didn't quite make it (of course when you have Jordan you aren't expected or asked to be a leader either, just the second main scorer). Why would Pippen be regarded as better than Drexler or similar forwards? (iirc Drexler was a forward?). Imo even Barclay (nominally PF) was better than Pippen and an actual leader.
Drexler had an impressive offensive peak in Portland from 1987 to 1989, but for the most part, his offensive statistics were only slightly better than Pippen's despite Pippen, y'know, being his own team's second option. And Pip's defense was much better.

Barkley is excellent if you want a guy who can talk crap about people who outplayed him. His whole thing on TV is that 90% of the opinions he throws out are obvious trolls, and 10% are genuine insight. His wrong opinions are legendary.

Look, I don't really take this "being a leader" stuff too seriously. We're supposed to say that Scottie Pippen was a worse player than he actually was, just because he and Michael Jordan spent a lot of time on the same team? What was he supposed to do? Somehow be better than Michael Jordan?
Besides, there are no magic runs by Pippen. I.T. had a few, including scoring 16 points in 90 seconds (iirc the Pistons lost that game in overtime, but who else actually has done this?) :)
Re rings, well, in theory the Pistons could have won at least one more title (1988), and maybe also 1877, so it isn't like the difference even with a team having Jordan was anything notable.
bro three is still a lot less than six

Again, I don't count RINGZZZ, but if you do...
That said, I never liked the Bulls. They just were Jordan and (from 1991 at least) Pippen & some good "1 job" players. Of those the better ones were arguably Kukoc (who never quite adapted to the Nba anyway) and Rodman. At least the Pistons had a more fun team. I know everyone hates Laimbeer, but come on, he was at least funny and could score 3-pointers :) Dumars was very good as well.
rip Horace Grant

Dumars was a pretty good guard. However, he's best known for being responsible, as a GM, for one of the funniest NBA memes of all time: workin' the phones.

Well, Barklay was a bit lazy and had the habit of over-eating, but at least he was very competitive in the Bulls-Suns series (until the Suns gave up, which is rumoured to have to do with a non-basketball ploy by Jordan as well) :)

Re being flashy, though, you can't really carry the Nba if you aren't at least somewhat flashy. Otherwise you could just play in euroleague and help people sleep.

Pippen's image in Chicago will always be slightly tarnished by the pouting incident and the tipping incident (he was a cheap ass) BUT
Jordan never won a title without him.
Pippen deserved to be listed in the top 50 players all time when they did that awhile back.

Re being flashy, though, you can't really carry the Nba if you aren't at least somewhat flashy. Otherwise you could just play in euroleague and help people sleep.
If Pippen played in the Euroleague during his prime, his career would be nothing except highlight-reel material.

If Pippen played in the Euroleague during his prime, his career would be nothing except highlight-reel material.

You can't be sure. I mean Dominique Wilkins did play here to retire (ok, he wasn't as good as Pippen at that point, but still) and despite a few impressive dunks he didn't really provide much highlights out of the usual. It is just that the euroleague is based (at least was when I paid any attention) on zone defense and low score, with pretty much everyone knowing the basics and a few superstars.
Iirc* Wilkins didn't even win the cup (iirc he played here for 2 years, not sure). He wasn't the league's mvp either.

*maybe he did; in those years a few local teams were in all final fours, so maybe once Dominique won.

Last edited:
Well sure you can rank players however you want, it's mostly subjective.

as long as MJ is #1 ;)

I did like watching The General Grant. Pippen was solid.

and whichever guy they had to shoot 3s from the corner.

Top Bottom