A Babylon 5 Mod for the Final Frontier Mod

At the end of every game turn, every custom ship model on the map reverts to the generic FF model. As I click on each of my ships, it goes back to the custom model. This only works for my civ, all other civs appear as generic throughout the game. While purely cosmetic, I hate not being able to experience all of Premiere Valle's hard work! Has anyone else encountered this issue and (pray) knows how to resolve it? I'm running the latest version of the mod (3.0).

To Psi and Valle,

Love the mod! I think B5 is the most underrated series in existence. My sincere thanks for all the hard work you put into this.

Hello everyone,

@PsiCorps
Regarding the last Minbari Ship (the M3), just to let you know that the ship has been officially named by its creators as the "Rolan".

At the end of every game turn, every custom ship model on the map reverts to the generic FF model. As I click on each of my ships, it goes back to the custom model. This only works for my civ, all other civs appear as generic throughout the game. While purely cosmetic, I hate not being able to experience all of Premiere Valle's hard work! Has anyone else encountered this issue and (pray) knows how to resolve it? I'm running the latest version of the mod (3.0).

To Psi and Valle,

Love the mod! I think B5 is the most underrated series in existence. My sincere thanks for all the hard work you put into this.

Welcome to the forums :beer:. Glad you like the mod!.

I haven't seen the behavior you describe... so the B5 models are active during the turn but when you end the turn the models switch back to the Final Frontier model?

When you say "all other civs appear as generic throughout the game"... does it mean that their ship models are the standard Final Frontier ones?

:salute:

Do you play with or without (frozen) animations? For the frozen animation option civ4 uses special nifs for the models and most custom units using a civ4 animation will not work (means: will switch back to the "animation master" special frozen animations nif).

Hello everyone,

@PsiCorps
Regarding the last Minbari Ship (the M3), just to let you know that the ship has been officially named by its creators as the "Rolan".

Welcome to the forums :beer:. Glad you like the mod!.

I haven't seen the behavior you describe... so the B5 models are active during the turn but when you end the turn the models switch back to the Final Frontier model?

When you say "all other civs appear as generic throughout the game"... does it mean that their ship models are the standard Final Frontier ones?

Thank you for the warm welcome and cold beer. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Double yes and actually, observing more carefully, the units switch back to the generic models during the turn as well. Clicking on any ship during the turn instantly changes it to the custom B5 model, but the unit will revert to a generic model after a few seconds.

I took a few screenshots in game using ctrl-PrtScn but they come out as .tga files. I renamed the screenshots to .jpg and was able to view them, but they are way too big to upload to any free filesharing website.

Do you play with or without (frozen) animations? For the frozen animation option civ4 uses special nifs for the models and most custom units using a civ4 animation will not work (means: will switch back to the "animation master" special frozen animations nif).

Yes, frozen animation were enabled. I disabled them and that fixed the issue:)

Many thanks kind stranger!

Thanks for the name update, i did make one up using the few bits of Minbari language that are on the B5 wiki but if there is already a name for it I'll amend it.

Yes, frozen animation were enabled. I disabled them and that fixed the issue

Glad the problem has been resolved for you and that you are enjoying the mod.

Another update for you.
I was about to upload the newest version when Premier posted the new ship. Shortly after this I have been in discussion with a Python Modding expert who is now trying to help us with the Mod, in particular the events side of things. I've also floated some ideas by him and he's said that they should all be achievable.

I came up with an idea this morning that I want to talk over with him so I'm hoping that before long a newer version will be uploaded with lots of new stuff no one has seen before.

While playing Minbari, I can't seem to build the "Defenders" unit. I think I see the problem. To build defenders, you must have the "Caste Center" building but even as a Minbari I can only build "Enlistment Centers." I'm guessing the caste center was designed to be a unique building for the Minbari, but unfortunately the Minbari can't build it.

While playing Minbari, I can't seem to build the "Defenders" unit. I think I see the problem. To build defenders, you must have the "Caste Center" building but even as a Minbari I can only build "Enlistment Centers." I'm guessing the caste center was designed to be a unique building for the Minbari, but unfortunately the Minbari can't build it.

I've just checked both the Defenders and the Pre Req building for them. To build the Defenders you do indeed need the Enlistment Centre. The Minbari UU for this is the Caste Choosing Centre. I'm pretty sure I haven't made any changes to these since I made the last version available. However, if I have made any changes then at least you can be sure it is fixed in the next version.

I've just checked both the Defenders and the Pre Req building for them. To build the Defenders you do indeed need the Enlistment Centre. The Minbari UU for this is the Caste Choosing Centre. I'm pretty sure I haven't made any changes to these since I made the last version available. However, if I have made any changes then at least you can be sure it is fixed in the next version.

Ok. I'm running version 3.0 which is the latest I could find. In this version the Minbari Defenders require the Caste Center, not the Enlistment Center. I'll check to see if this is fixed in the next version. It doesn't seem very critical to my game. I'm conquering planets with my carriers.

On a separate note. Do fighter units gain xp? I've killed multiple raiders with one fighter and he's stuck right where he started at 8/9.

Turns in this mod are slooooooow....

I've got just about every other currently maintained or finished total conversion mod - MoM, Chiron, HotMK, etc. - and this is by far the slowest mod. Tried playing Minbari, had to quit because of the speed. Have you looked into the CAR mod (Civ AcceleratoR)?

Another criticism: the starting bonuses and the civic bonuses are difficult to keep track of because of the sheer number of them. Also, the 'pedia needs love, lots and lots of love, and when it's being fixed up you might want to consider paying special attention to the civ-specific buildings.

Seems like a fun mod with lots of goodies, but the turn speed makes it unplayable for me.

Do fighter units gain xp?

Currently they will only gain xp from combat with other fighters/bombers. However there is a Modcomp that I want to get into the mod that will change this.

Have you looked into the CAR mod (Civ AcceleratoR)?

Nope, because until you mentioned it I hadn't heard of it. I know the early game is slow due to the movement restriction imposed on certain units but this gets removed once a specific tech is researched. Also depending on map size and Barabarian appearance settings(Hordes, normal etc) both of these will slow the game down.

Also, the 'pedia needs love, lots and lots of love

I am aware of this but with Premier building the ships, almost everything else falls to me. a few others have contributed to the Mod and it is appreciated but there's still an awful lot of things to do which I cannot find the time to do.

>>I know the early game is slow due to the movement restriction imposed

From a meta perspective, having about 20 turns or so where you're just building up your system is fine with me - the lack of mobility is not my complaint. Lag between turns is. I'm pretty sure you understood me already, but I'm clarifying just in case.

So are the other civs trying to move their units, causing the lag between turns?

To make sure I understand, you're currently relying on the terrain to block movement? So the AI ends up bouncing its non-vacuum-sealed soldiers over and over again (something like 8 times or so) until it finally gives up - and it's doing this for EVERY unit it makes? That would certainly explain the horrible, horrible lag.

Perhaps changing the starting move to 0, then adding a promotion based on a national wonder or a tech that give the 1 move back when it's appropriate, would fix this. That way the other civs have no temptation to push their soldiers/defenders off planet until they can actually do so.

To make sure I understand, you're currently relying on the terrain to block movement? So the AI ends up bouncing its non-vacuum-sealed soldiers over and over again (something like 8 times or so) until it finally gives up - and it's doing this for EVERY unit it makes? That would certainly explain the horrible, horrible lag.

No, the movement restriction applies to ships units not the Planetary defence troops. The planetary defence troops do have a movement point so that the AI will build them. If it was a "0" movement point unit they would never get built. They are restricted to the "Sun" tile by not allowing them to move into any other terrain. Therefore the AI doesn't even try to move them (as far as I'm aware). With each civ starting with a scout, that can move outside of the star system borders, and a colony ship that can do the same there should be no reason for the AI to take so long over its turns.

I'm mid game and noticing unusually high production and commerce numbers for brand new colonies. The turn the colony is founded, everything looks normal with base production and commerce in the single digits. Starting on the next turn base production and commerce shoot into the 40s and 50s. That's with one population and before I've built my first structure :confused:

How is the fledgling colony is generating this much output and is it intended?

Have you looked into the CAR mod (Civ AcceleratoR)?
The DLL in B5 is from Final Frontier Plus. It includes the CAR mod and various other things to speed things up including stuff from both Faster BTS 3.19 and BTS on SPEED by Sephi.

A lot of things are done in Python and because of that FFP is maybe slightly slower than regular BtS. B5 does a more things in Python, some of which get called a lot (the movement code is called a lot, even when it isn't doing anything anymore), and is therefore a bit slower than FFP, but it would not surprise me if B5 is still faster than the original FF.

Hello everyone!,

I told you that I didn't knew how long could I keep the pace with the ships, although this time I didn't stop working on it. I've been working on a new ship, a Hyach ship, to those of you familiar with the B5wars miniatures you can see where this is going, I spent most of the week getting the ship's shape right.

I also modified the color scheme a little bit, the Hyach fighter was too dark.

So here it is, the Hyach Tachila Kor class carrier; unlike carriers from other races this ship launches its crafts to the sides (I took the idea from the BSG Galactica) and recovers them from multiple aft-looking docking bays. The propulsion system I gravimetric, hence no engine glow/thrust. Like most Hyach capital ships, the Tachila Kor features a spinal laser and some secondary weapons.

I think you'll like this one.

Poly Count: 880
Animation: B5_Custom_FF_WhiteStar
Damage/Glow/Gloss: Yes/Yes/Yes
FX extra poly: 14

Civilopedia:

Combat:

Damaged:

Turns in this mod are slooooooow....
[...]
Seems like a fun mod with lots of goodies, but the turn speed makes it unplayable for me.
Yeah, turns might be a little bit slow, but no that much as to render the mod unplayable. Could you tell us about your hardware?

Awesome ship!

Hi!,

So, here is another one, from the ill fated B5 game "Into the Fire", the Yolu Gunship, although gunship is a poor description, Battleship fits it the most. Some sources name it as the "Gelnarte".

I read somewhere that the Yolu are older than the Minbari, so this vessel uses gravimetric propulsion.

Poly count: 556
Animation: FF Battleship
Damage/Glow/Gloss: Yes/Yes/Yes
FX extra poly: 20

Civilopedia:

Combat:

Damaged:

Top Bottom