1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Brave New World

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by EQandcivfanatic, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Neverwonagame3

Neverwonagame3 Self-Styled Intellectual

Why would a Prussian attack on France be suicide?

2. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

3. Neverwonagame3

Neverwonagame3 Self-Styled Intellectual

Why? (10char)

4. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

In the 2nd Union War, which was the only time they could have done with potential success, they would have been fighting on the side of Britain, who burned down Berlin and completely broke Prussia over their knee. Not savory to the Prussians.

5. Tyrion

Tyrion Hmmm.....

look seriously we never burnt down berlin we burnt down st petersburg
    also prussia is catholic me thinks

6. EQandcivfanatic

EQandcivfanatic Zailing Captain Retired Moderator

petersburg, berlijnin, whatshh the diffferent? hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

7. Tyrion

Tyrion Hmmm.....

eq... have you been getting into the eggnog?

8. EQandcivfanatic

EQandcivfanatic Zailing Captain Retired Moderator

yarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

9. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Someone burnt down Berlin. And Prussia is protestant; not that that helps my case, but that's what's up.

10. Justo

Justo Emperor

I missed this before :p.

A war of Mexico vs TAP would have been awesome. I had been building up to counter such a war since I started playing Mexico.

The Mexican navy was one of the most modern in the world. We were next in line to get access to Monitors etc. If Texas joined the war against us phase 1 would be to crush their navy and blockade them from TAP reinforcements and then fight a ground war against them. Mexico was alot stronger now then at the start of the NES so I'm sure we could have won the ground war against them this time :).

With metal ships I was pretty sure that I would be able to hold back the combined TAP navy and keep Texas cut off long enough to knock them out of the war. From there I would have attempted to liberate Nicaragua and then sued for peace.

If my navy did manage to fail me than Mexico still had one of the largest armies in the world which would be able to inflict some serious pain against the TAP.

It's also likely that some nations would side with me against Virginian expansion however that's an unknown right there. Either way such a war would probably not be worth potential gains. ;)

11. Tyrion

Tyrion Hmmm.....

the burning down of berlin was never mentioned in any updates, i checked when you first brought it up i think you got your wires crossed, regardless we still beat them up. I can track my failing to that war, i sided with the wrong player who was inactive and unhelpful other than anonymous i pretty much single handedly fought that war, would have been better to keep prussia and russia onside.

12. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Belgium also managed to humble the FIP and TAP forces for a while :p

13. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

The FIP forces did very little against Belgium until the final swoop. We were focused against Austria, and also were busy in London.

As for Berlin, all I know is EQ said it happened. We worked from there.

Finally, Mexico could have crushed Texas in 1-2 years, no problem. A Mexico-TAP war, at the end of the NES, would have been decidedly in favor of Mexico. The TAP was too divided to fight a war efficiently.

14. Jason The King

Jason The King Deity

Since we would have had the luxury of preparing before the war, you could be sure Virginian/Dutch troops would have already been in Texas before the war broke out, not to mention a Virginian detachment in Nicaragua. And remember we're talking pre-Georgia, so at that time Virginia had the best army in the world, second maybe only to Prussia. [russianaccent]We would have crushed you[/russianaccent] :)

Relying, of course, on the rest of the world's neutrality, which I'm sure is a pipe dream. France and/or New England probably would have become involved.

15. human-slaughter

human-slaughter brand new year

Great, deducing my dear Watson.

My largest fear near the end of the NES was that Mexico would take advantage of the squabbling going on in the east to march into Harrisburg and I would be forced to surrender. However I was trying to talk the injuns into siding with me but they idolized France's allies too much to want to help me.

16. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Well the fact of the matter is, I wouldn't have allowed Mexico to take Texas if I could help it. Again, I was suspicious of Mexico, and I considered Texas not only a valuable buffer state but perhaps the least hostile of the TAP members.

A lot of factors were in play. By the end of the NES, though, again, it was no longer an issue. These 40-years were generally peaceful, and for good reason.

17. Justo

Justo Emperor

Mexico wouldn't invade Texas unless attacked first. Why rule angry and unloyal Texans when I could concentrate on creating a greater Hispanic Empire.

The only thing France ever had to worry about with Mexico would be a Cuban revolt. When Cuba and Florida initially revolted from Spain I was contemplating aiding the Cubans and then possibly integrating them into Mexico but in the end I preferred staying out of the worlds affairs. :p

I don't know why everyone is so fearful of little old Mexico. My focus was primarily on dominating the sea for defensive purposes not on building up a massive army to launch into Louisianna. It would have been fun though.

If the TAP did attack Mexico I was pretty sure that someone would come to my aid eventually. I doubt New England would like to see Virginia succeed against Mexico since in recent years I had been trying to boost relations between our countries. The same goes with France. Virginia had simply been too aggressive throughout North America to be trusted by the major powers :p.

Another thing to note is that if France hadn't sided with Georgia against the TAP the year it did. I would have likely joined the war on Georgia's side not that I would be able to provide all to much assistance but it would have made things fun. :p

18. Jason The King

Jason The King Deity

That would have been interesting if France would have remained neutral. We were just waiting for an excuse to attack Mexico :)

19. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

This. This was Virginia's greatest problem in the end. Virginia's aggression, even though it had the effect of making Virginia raw and on its own a nigh-unstoppable juggernaught, alienated its neighbors and former allies. Georgia was the last straw, you could say: "The final domino falls here." If Georgia had fallen to Virginia's massive sphere of control then Louisiana, Florida, and New York would be properly endangered. But, it didn't. That's why Virginia didn't expand anymore, it was stopped in its tracks (nothing personal JTK).

So what do I think will happen circa 1900? Almost anything. There are a lot of self-interested powers out there, it will be interesting to see what goes on. One thing is for certain: Virginia is going to come to blows with someone eventually. They're the Germany of the new world. The question is, who with, and how far will they get?

Needless to say Virginia is the most interesting nation IMHO in this entire NES. The stories fleshed it out very well and it was played very interestingly (specifically with a bona-fide purpose). As a nation as part of the game, it is simply put the coolest. I daresay I'll be more interested in its fate than that of France (though not by much).

20. Jason The King

Jason The King Deity

EDITED OUT FOR OBVIOUS REASONS