1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Brave New World

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by EQandcivfanatic, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

I tried my best to be neutral the whole time and everyone kept picking on me. Through luck and great forethought on my part I managed to survive.

2. bestshot9

bestshot9 Monkey Sharpshooter

And, oh yeah, Sweden did back the Carlists in the first Spanish Civil War. We did give them those ships which was not done all so secretly as I had hoped for, and we were supposed to get Puerto Rico for it, if the Carlists had one, however. Though the next year or so New England made the same deal, only with Isabella, and came out on top. Oh well, it was nothing personal to either side, we just wanted expansion. We did eventually gain a Caribbean colony after all in the Bahamas, and made pretty friendly with New England and Virginia, though with NE leaving the TAP Sweden was pretty torn on who to support, so we kinda stayed friends with both sides, though after Georgia, we had some strong doubts about remaining in the TAP, mainly because our whole purpose was to save Mississippi, and when that failed, and it was obvious that goal wouldn't succeed, our allies still wanted us to help out in Georgia, which pretty upset King Oscar, who didn't want to appear to the world to be a warmonger, so the next update was when we were going to pull all of our troops out of Georgia.

3. Arian

Arian No more ghostbusting!!

ABNW was my first NES and that's why I choose Ethiopia. I'm satisfied with the result for the 11 turns or so I played.

Spoiler :
    Ofcourse we would have conquered the whole world with our Arc of the Covenant, if given enough time. :p

4. Anonymous2U

Anonymous2U Deadly Serious

@Crezth LOL (at the topic) we have had this exact same discussion, EQ told you the wrong city. Britain landed burned St Petersburg and retreated. Berlin was captured by left alone.

@Tyrion I felt the downfall came when you tried to get Turkey into the Grand Alliance in spite of EQ’s warnings. If the Grand Alliance had been in place when the war started Hannover and Baden would have been required to join the war. Then we could have enacted are plan to invade France. Obviously not to beat them but to distract them so they would be forced to send troops back to France, thus giving you breathing room in England. If we were lucky, possibly rescuing your troops in the Netherlands. Once Baden and Hannover were neutral the war was over for me. I only stayed in the war to support my Austrian ally. IMHO Austria should have stayed out of the war or declared peace much earlier. They were in a vulnerable position and had a lot to lose and nothing to gain.

Both Prussia and Austria were frustratingly inactive. If there had been more involved players, Germany would have been much more exciting. Imagine if Kenthrau was in charge of Prussia from the start. Germany would have unified much sooner and Austria could not have stayed in the war for as long as it did.

Also I started to see what Russia was up to at the that time. Not that I had a good spy network. I picked up on it through the in game diplomacy. I warned Austria not to trust you, they were still secretly hoping if they gave you land, that you would come to their aid.

5. qoou

qoou Emperor

Oh yes, Austria's ceding of the Wallachian principalities to me caught me very off guard. When the War of the Second Union broke out, I decided to profit from it as much as possible; one of my immediate goals was expanding my influence in the Balkans to make the Great Turkish War easier to win. When I asked Austria for Transylvania and Moldavia, I fully expected them to refuse and end diplomatic relations with me, since the little bits of information I had given them about the FIP-TAP alliance were practically worthless, and I had previously posted on the thread about my neutrality. I could not believe their response, and I had to go back and read it a second time to make sure I hadn't missed a "not" somewhere. (unfortunately, when I tried to take advantage of Austria's weakness a second time and convince Galicia that they needed my "protection" (annexation), my bluff was called)

6. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Denmark was pathetic, no offense, LJ.

7. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

Denmark managed to grow to a tier 2 power for a while where Denmark should have been on the bottom of the row in this timeline. IRL Denmark was one hundred years behind technologically, and here it was way more developed than it was OTL. It was even ahead of Sweden during the largest part of the NES.

Pathetic? Well, no, at least not without any arguments in favor of that postulate, and I'd appreciate that you were a bit more constructive with your criticism (Even though it wasn't offensive).

8. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

The bottom, really? What about their naval advancements and stuff? I need to do a little research, I'll get back to you on this.

9. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Denmark's steam frigates won the Second Union War in favor of the TAP-France. I think that much speaks for itself.

10. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Oh. Didn't see that coming.

11. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

This. :)

Actually, the only reason Denmark never got really big was due to my extremely poor knowledge of Africa interior (I spended heavily in an apparently resourceless area in west Africa).

12. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Yeah, I remember Denmark asking for rights to that part of Africa - you know, settler priority. It was a worthless dump but I thought he knew something I didn't. Oh well. ~shrug~

13. bestshot9

bestshot9 Monkey Sharpshooter

Well, Sweden saved the Netherlands in the War of the Second Union. Bout the only thing we accomplished militarily during the whole NES...

14. Justo

Justo Emperor

If this does get back up and running I think things will be quite interesting in America at least.

We've got 4 spheres of influence going on and no sphere of influence is significantly dominant over the other. Virginia has Pensylvania and Texas. Mexico has Florida and her allies. France has Louisianna and Quebec. New England has Canada and Detroit.

There are of course other nations which could be used to sway the balance of power but right now things seem to be nicely poised for a devastating war. :p

15. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

I agree with Mexico. Sometimes a puppet empire is better than none, and I know that Quebec is going to stay with me through thick and thin. They had better.

16. Ace of Gold

Ace of Gold MAKE WAY FOR THE BAD GUY

Well if you would of taken the pacific strip then I would of been real mad, but besides that, yes I probably would stay loyal to you through the whole nes.

17. Jason The King

Jason The King Deity

Dont forget Nashville within the Virginian sphere.

18. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

If you can throw your weight around and get away with it.

Throw your weight around
    And get away with it.

19. EQandcivfanatic

EQandcivfanatic Zailing Captain Retired Moderator