A dying mobo?

FWIW, my computer rarely hangs just past the BIOS with something like a 'CPU overclock setting error'. Always goes away after I reboot, though I don't do any BIOS/software overclocking, though the mobo supports that.

I espcially don't like how Vista messed up Windows Explorer. There's gotta be some shell around to fix it...

It's better, doesn't need fixing.

Me too. I feel lost without an "up" button and I don't use the bread-crumb trail.

I tailored explorer a bit. Put back the menu (instead of pressing alt), lightened the toolbar, removed the unnecessary columns (file type, rating and all that stuff). Still not perfect but OK.

Hit backspace to go up.

It's better, doesn't need fixing.

:rolleyes:

...but thanks for the tip on backspace.

With regards to the upgrade, consider this. If you were permitted to have any parts you wanted at any time whenever you wanted for the next ten years, on just one condition....that you had to keep just one item from your current computer and not replace it (it could be your power supply, mobo, processor, or RAM type and size), either way, you'd hit a roadblock a few years from now.

Between my mom's fits and her shoving me around and stuff, I dunno what to do. And I can't just go lay down as I have school...

this thing doesn't have a boot disk to reinstall Vista. or a partition. Thats why I dont like it. My mom is too stupid to understand that. She just says "well you can use mine." But hers is XP and FOR A DIFFERENT COMPUTER!!!!

Turns out the mobo died. He may have to replace it if the rebuild doesn't work (when we went to check, he had the entire thing tore apart on the table. I didn't even know you could take apart a mobo!). I'm still deciding on whether to keep the old one or the new one. Mom finally stopped screeching long enough to listen.

If you get a new mobo, can that extend the life of a computer? (And maybe if it's different model, might be better for upgrading. My mobo's at least three years old, so it may be hard to get. :))

You don't have to replace the mainboard with an identical one. Just make sure to get one for whatever socket your CPU is using. Depending on the socket and your needs, you can get one for as little at 40EUR.
I'd definitely do that instead of paying through the nose for the loaned computer.

He called back today. He said the entire thing is gone. Oh well, at least now I don't have to choose.

Nice LCD screen. My desk looks less crowded. Also they'll order in the book disk for us. :)

Top Bottom