1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A Fall from Heaven D&D Campaign

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by vorshlumpf, Oct 7, 2007.

1. vorshlumpf

vorshlumpf Emperor

I'm doing some research on military history to try to get a good feel for Bannor culture (military and otherwise). I found this on Wikipedia:

Does anyone think this sort of thing doesn't fit with the Bannor? I think it fits. I liken the Bannor to the Spartans a bit, and Spartan deserters were the lowest of the low, because they abandoned their duty to the nation.

2. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

No, I think it suits them. My vision of the Bannor is heavily modeled on the Romans, Crusaders and Normans, in no particular order.

3. [NWO]_Valis

[NWO]_Valis A bad kitty!

Hmmm, I would go further here. It is a fantasy world so we can overexadurate here :) and just make them not to desert. Such strict laws were needed in the Roman empire cause their soldiers were common folk, or ppl they conquered. Bannor are a one self aware 'nation' with 'great'/painful history with binds them together. I would go so far and picture them as a fanatical ppl in the matter of loyalty to the cause. No laws are needed, if they disobey orders or break lines in battle they would punish themselves.

Yup, I see them more like Samurais but without Catanas.

Off course it is your vision of Kaels vision :) so is this topic about visionaries? ;)

4. wilboman

Well, the Bannor are kind of my baby, I wrote the 'pedia on them and Sabathiel. So my vision is Kael approved™:D

But yes, I can agree with the fanatical loyalty thing. The Bannor as a people really are the rough and ready heroes of the FfH world, it would make sense that they fight with fanatical determination. After all, they are fighting for their homes and lives most of the time.

Samurai and Knights have a strict honour code - similar to the Order. I picture the Bannor as more like Vikings, fond of battle and unafraid to die. Or the Jews of the Warsaw ghetto, a desperate but noble fight.

Decimation suits the Order down to a "T", though. If you break the Law, you (collectively) MUST be punished.

5. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

Their majority is like samurais and norse but there's always the ocassional deserter or someone ready to sell their home to the highest bidder. If it wasn't so there would be no need of laws as everyone abides them anyway.

6. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

The early generation would have no need of such punishment--all weak members were lost in hell. Future generations are shaped by stories, rituals, tradition, and drills, effective but not so fool proof as daily life or death struggle. So some will need such measures.

7. vorshlumpf

vorshlumpf Emperor

Yeah, my campaign takes place well after the beginning of the Age of Renewal, so the heroic blood is not as strong throughout all Bannor citizenry.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll go with decimation, but those soldiers selected will willingly kill themselves (like the samurai) to preserve some of their honour.

8. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Good read this thread. Keep it up!

9. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

How will they kill themselves? Seppuku seems too harsh for just anyone, it might be suitable fo paladins etc. but not the average private.

10. wilboman

Yet, that was the way all Romans committed honorable suicide: Fell on their swords (Israelites too, ref. Saul). But perhaps poison is a better way. Or punitive squads?

11. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

They didn't cut their stomachs all open and pull the stuff out, like the best of samurais.

12. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

Very subtle differences in philosophy, culture and moral ideals are important in D&D, just as much as realpolitik. Nice discussion - I wish I could play D&D myself, but I never got over my own psychological inhibitions of feeling "childish".

The Bannor are militaristic, and have military discipline. The order is a culture of obedience and law. The difference between the two are subtle, but they are seperate and one can easily exist without the other. It's just that the Bannor under The Order is especially dangerous, as even mythic heroes and units will be killed by large contingents of brave, fanatical normal soldiers that won't flinch in the face of disgusting, evil creatures.

13. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

What childish is in it?

If you play a proper FfH-like dark fantasy you aren't childish in any way.

Light fantasy is the childish one if any.

14. wilboman

Well, I also have a D&D hangup, but not so much childish as enormously time-consuming and ultimately a wee bit geeky. I'm not sure I have the patience for it. Although I love the lore and the options it gives for a wide variety of games.

15. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Me, I'd happily join in such a game, but don't know anyone nearby to play with.

16. [NWO]_Valis

[NWO]_Valis A bad kitty!

I lately do not have time to play :(

Also I do not see anything childish in it. Some sessions we had were definetly not for children. There are more creepy worlds than dark D&D. Look at any WoD system or Call of Cuthulu if its good roleplayed.

17. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

I have the same problem too.

A crazy idea: over the net?
    With a simple engine allowing relatively long chained orders it might just well work. Simplified dialogue with "ask Einion about Lita and if it has anything to do with Mardero, then go to shop and buy a longsword if it costs less than 20 gold", and combat executed more automatically, allows process even with one order a day -playing. Like PBEM civ, but RPG

18. vorshlumpf

vorshlumpf Emperor

I've been involved in PBeM RPGs before, and they are a lot of fun. However, they are worlds apart from face-to-face RPGs. Time moves a lot more slowly, but you get more time to decide on the appropriate actions / reactions for your character's personality. My biggest complaint about FtF gaming is that I'm not a "quick on my feet" role-player, so I do or say things with my character that doesn't really fit their personality. Of course, being a DM increases that anxiety ten-fold... :crazyeye:

It's all a balance, though. Nobody can be perfect (I keep telling myself).

I'd like to run a PBeM RPG as well, but I need to make sure I'm confident with myself before jumping into that (I don't have enough spare time to fully prepare for my FtF campaign as it is).

As for childishness or geekiness, I say it's neither. Role-playing games are a great hobby that many different types of people partake in. If you have fun doing it, what's the harm? I consider myself a role-playing geek in the sense that 'geek' = 'enthusiast'. Much like I'm a FfH geek, a Taekwon-Do geek, etc.

People who typically call role-player geeks in the derogatory sense ("a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person") do so from a vantage point of ignorance and disdain, and such a comment is no more than trying to minimize/eliminate the pleasure another person gains from such an activity. I find such comments offencive because we should not treat each other that way.

Ahem, after all that, thanks again to everyone for their feedback on my culture question ;) I'll be seeking more of such advice soon.

19. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

I did GM a couple of 7th sea games, for my wife and one friend (until that friend sorta disappeared for unrelated reasons.) It was especially tough never having been a player, I think.
    I'd be willing to run a FfH Pbp here... but I don't actually own D&D (7th sea and warhammer). But then I don't know if D&D is well suited for pbp anyway...

P.S. I did Taekwon Do in college, it was fun.

20. vorshlumpf

vorshlumpf Emperor

It can be, just like any rule-set. But the rules take a back seat to the story, which everyone is contributing to collectively with creative writing.

My current FtF campaign is almost a mix of the two (theatrical production and creative writing). I'm encouraging my players to contribute to the campaign website with their writings.

Edit: I've never done PbP, but I can't see it being much different from PBeM.