A Fall from Heaven D&D Campaign

One last request from everyone (for now, as I rush to get many details at least started by the weekend): Any ideas on Elohim society? The characters will be starting in the kingdom of Elohim. Two will be brothers from a minor noble house. I'm trying to come up with some basic details for Elohim nobility. I kind of figure that nobility was originally loosely structured, as the nation developed around the order of the Elohim who went around helping those who needed it.

I'd imagine them as a mixture between LOTR rivendale elves, and early British medievals.

The Elohim are the protectors of the sacred places of the world. They are less structured than most human empires in that their monasteries, villages and rare palaces are scattered around the world not a part of one contiguous country. The elves, Lanun and dwarves are actually like this as well (although as you can imagine this is hard to represent in FfH).

There are occasional Elohim cities, usually close to some holy area. The Bannor are resposible for guarding evil areas of the world, the Elohim protect the good. There are rarely powerful areas (unlike those in the Bannor's charge) and they prefer to erase all knowledge of an area (outside of their own scholars) rather than drawing attention to it by building huge forts and post guards around it (the Bannor reaction).

The Elohim prize contemplation and passive arts like poetry and caligraphy. Their nobility can come in 3 variations, either the artistic who are usually poets but could also be dancers or painters, the scholars who are philosophers and researchers, and the military who practice purification of the mind and body. All branches prize honor and trust, they are the keepers of secrets and their trust isn't easily gained. Nobility is gifted to those that accomplish great feats (usually including the blessing of some angel or god more than a military victory) so nearly all nobles have an ancestor they revere and the stories they strive to uphold.

In keeping with their secrecy aspect they wouldn't like anything that was to overstated. Characters weilding big viscious weapons wouldn't fit in. Robes and staves are common. A swordsman wouldn't often have his sword on him, though you can expect they would be trained with some sort of unarmed fighting style, possibly enough to disarm an attacker.

Of course all of this is influenced by their religious beliefs at the time (historically they worship Sirona).

Specific to your scenario, you may want to consider an Elohim hero from a few generations back to be the one that earned the nobility. The legend of that ancestor may make an interesting hook for adventures.

Im not sure how big you want their starting city to be. You could go with a remote village which could be about anywhere. A farm village that provides food to a more significant Elohim location wouldn't even have to be around a holy site. Anything larger than that would probably have a history of some sort, a tree that always stays in bloom, a fissure left over from the godswar, a graveyard where an angel was killed and buried.

Awesome info, Kael. I had several great ideas, linked to already-existing campaign ideas, pop into my head while reading it.
It's going to be a lot more fun starting with the Elohim now :)

I suppose they have a sizable 'kingdom' somewhere that houses one or several major historical sites, considering Ethne's history (she's a princess - becomes a queen). Around Cahir Abbey...

:lol: Yeah, Foxford already has all its NPC's provided.

If it wouldn't be too difficult, could you post a link to Lorda history.
Who is he and why he hates Calabim?

So it looks like we'll be starting off with one Elohim nobleman, one Elohim monk, and one dwarven priest of Kilmorph. I definitely look forward to seeing how the groups develops.

Aww, no Leaves? Thats my favorate religion...
Anyways, good luck with the campaign. And keep us updated.

You know I was just going to make a question about this when I found this topic. Its good to catch up on the historical stuff in the campaign setting that the Civopedia doesn't have written in. I'm a DM myself and wanted to adopt this setting it looked really fun. ^^

So my modest campaign has started. Things are looking good so far. If you are interested in checking out our campaign web site, it is at http://bia.niilo.ca

I'd like to share with you something I put together for one of the characters. We needed an explanation for his dwarf's sudden promotion to clerical status after many years of self-exile. I used it as an opportunity to tie in another player's background - he's part of an isolated Elohim noble family who is protecting a sacred site.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

It was a blustery and gloomy day. A day where most people stayed indoors if they had any choice in the matter. The smithy was undisturbed by visitors because of this, which made it a perfect day to work. And that made it all the more frustrating that Barak could not seem to get anything done. From problems with his forge to difficulties folding steel, it seemed that the stars were aligned against any sort of productivity this day. Finally, when the handle of his best hammer shattered during one thunderous hit, Barak decided it was time to get away before he wound up burning the whole place down (either by accident or on purpose).

Without knowing where he'd go, Barak grabbed his coat and stomped out the door, irritation still threatening to overcome his thoughts. The sharp wind served to cool him down mentally as well as physically, and he soon found his gaze looking north. His eyes traced the familiar outline of the Angel Spire Mountains, and he soon found his feet marching toward the welcoming sight.

Memories flooded back to him as his legs worked of their own accord. Thoughts of Deep Well flitted through his mind, as well as his departure from his dwarven home, his spectacular introduction to the Ibrahim's, and his many years spent pursing whatever purpose Kilmorph had in store for him. The memory of that fateful, first look at Mordecai was in his head again when he found himself stumbling upon a small ravine that sliced into the side of the hill. A quick look back showed him that he had been walking for some time - he was up in the foothills with a good view of the hamlet of Valentia, as well as the Ibrahim manor which was directly down slope of him.

For some reason, this ravine perked his interest and he crouched at its lip to examine its interior. His dwarven blood came to the fore as he analysed the rock formations, deciding immediately that some significant event such as an earth tremor created this small crack in the hills as opposed to the gradual erosion caused by some long-dead stream. This thought process, probably mundane for anyone other than a dwarf, was very calming for Barak and gave his mind some respite from the more serious thoughts that plagued him on his walk.

After a deep breath he straightened so that he could move on, but as he turned his head he thought he noticed something odd. He looked back down the ravine, but couldn't see it. He turned his head again, this time more slowly, and his astute dwarven eyes again noticed an oddity at the bottom edge. Now knowing where to focus, Barak examined the stone-work with renewed interest, this time shuffling side to side to change the angle of his view. Despite his heritage, it still took some time for him to realise that there was actually a small opening in the ravine wall. Somehow the break was formed in such a way that it blended naturally with either side, making it almost impossible to see from this only vantage point. In all his years, above ground and below it, he hadn't seen anything like it.

The path down was treacherous at best, but nothing could stop him from desiring a closer look. Huffing and puffing, Barak slowly made his way to the bottom and stood squarely in front of this slit in the rock wall. There was room enough for him to fit and so he stepped within. This entrance, as it were, angled back towards the south, the direction of his descent, before switching sharply into the heart of the hill beyond his sight. Darkness quickly consumed him, and he paused while his dwarven eyes naturally adjusted. His hands traced the walls out of habit and not through a desire for support since he was quite comfortable in this environment. As he walked on he noticed two things: the walls became more uniform and smooth, and the floor was descending at about a 10% decline.

As his mind raced with possible explanations for this stone-work, he lost track of time. It didn't seem very long, however, before he could see a light up ahead. As he approached, he recognised the source of the light to be fluorescent underground lichen, and they seemed to be concentrated in a small, naturally occurring room. There was heat and moisture in the air, as well as signature stalagmites and stalactites. Barak weaved his way through the room, on a path apparently worn in the ground, and nearly fell to his knees at the most spectacular site ever to grace his eyes.

A mere two strides in front of him sat what could be best described as an eruption of pure, shining metal. It appeared to pour up from the heart of Erebus itself, and it widened before stopping at his waste height. In fact, with its flat surface, it looked almost like an anvil. But this was not any normal metal, which was obvious even in this light - the colour was unmistakable to any dwarf worth their stones. This was pure mithril, an amount together that he had never before witnessed.

With his breath caught in his chest and heart pounding, Barak slowly approached, his one hand extended. The first tentative touch, as if confirming its existence to his mind, was exhilarating, and this time he did drop to his knees. He ran his palm along the top, the surface betraying no signs of use, but something told him that it had felt the strike of the hammer innumerable times.

Barak then did the only thing that made sense. He prayed. As his words to Kilmorph rumbled amongst the stalagmites and stalactites, many images flashed through his mind - images that he didn't summon himself. And it would be many hours before he moved from his spot.

There is a legend amongst the dwarves that originates from the long-ago Age of Dragons. It is one of those legends that are so ancient, and so embellished, that even the firmest of believers has moments of doubt as to its veracity. It tells of a humble dwarf blacksmith, Aral, who's name appropriately meant Forge Heart. His talent with the blackened hammer was unrivalled in the region, but he remained with his small, isolated clan and merrily forged mundane items in his modest smithy.

One day his entire clan was wiped out when a titan of Camulos stumbled upon their quaint dwellings. Aral, through luck or fate, barely survived. In a feverish stupor, he fled the scene and the days passed. Just as his will to live was almost completely snuffed out, a pair of booted feet greeted his gaze while he rested on hands and knees. He looked up to see a legend first-hand: the peerless Bambur.

Bambur brought Aral back to health, and then guided the young blacksmith into the underdark. It was there that Bambur gave him his charge. Kilmorph's children were frequently imperilled in this time of the Godswar, and they needed every advantage they could get to defend themselves. Bambur was to teach Aral the finer arts of weaponsmithing, and Aral would become a source of great and magical weapons. Aral questioned where this training and work would be done, and the response wasn't from Bambur but from ground itself. A vein of pure mithril pushed through the ground and formed in front of his eyes into a perfect anvil for his height. Nearby, the ground fissured and heat washed over him as lava and flames poured up just barely below the floor's surface.

Bambur smiled and said simply, "We must begin."

And so Aral worked for his many long years, arming his brethren and their allies with the finest weaponry ever to grace Erebus. There he worked, in Kilmorph's Forge.

Lost forever during the Age of Magic, the Forge has many legends surrounding its purpose and existence. Each legend, though, agrees on one point: in a time of great need, Kilmorph will fan the flames once more and a steady hand will be chosen to resume Aral's work.

I like the story :) Meeting with Bambur is a great tie to his past and a great spiritual event for a dwarf.

There is a bit of a continuity error (not that its particuarly important that your game match the FfH timeline) in that the dwarves didn't exist int he Age of Dragons. They were created as a new race by the actions of Kheldon Ki early in the Age of Magic. But again, not a big deal.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. It would be a minor change for me to correct that. That's part of the reason I posted it here.

Thanks for the feedback.

There's something else that I'd like critical eyes to look over. It's a short post introducing someone who will likely be a major antagonist in the campaign. I'm trying to capture the Bannor/Order culture without gravitating too much toward other published sources (such as the Children of the Light in the Wheel of Time series).

As the guard swung the door open for him, the Inquisitor strode forward into the office, his white robe flowing with the movement. He stopped halfway to the Precept's desk and pushed back his gold-trimmed hood with both hands.

"Inquisitor Jolan," Precept Petras said as he quickly stood from his chair. "You were not expected this soon."

The Bannor commander of Helmshaven circled his desk to descend to one knee before the Inquisitor, bowing his head, his right fist pressed against his heart. The grey-haired priest of the Order took a moment to look over the commander and survey the room, as if measuring the worth of both.

"It was Junil's will that brought me here at this time, Precept," he said, patronizingly. "Rise."

As Petras steadily regained his full stature, Jolan walked idly to the single window in the room to gaze out over the country-side. The silence was broken by the commander's voice.

"What word from Torrolerial, Inquisitor? I heard of some trouble involving your niece's arrangement."

"She has seen the light," Jolan responded, his tone more conversational. "It is not uncommon for youth to be afraid of their assigned role in society. I hope to return in time for the ceremony, but only if I finish my work here." At that last, his voice became sombre. "I am but a tool in Junil's service, of course.

"You must tell me everything about this goblin attack. But, first, I must know of any signs of cult activity in your area. Purging the veiled ones has become increasingly more difficult throughout the Empire." Jolan swung his steely gaze to the Precept, communicating with his hard stare alone that this information was not to be shared. He straightened his body and clasped both hands behind his back. "There are worries that our tentative hold on this area is more susceptible to such barbarism. The Sanctum Council is not yet ready to commit more troops south of the mountains, not while another war with the Clan is imminent. So they have sent me."

Those last words hung heavy in the air, causing even the veteran Precept to feel a chill in his spine.

"Do not spare anything," the Inquisitor said, once again turning to the window. From this position in the Bannor fortress, he could see above the trees to the southeast, the hamlet of Valentia barely visible in the distance. "Begin," his voice paused for a moment, "With that village."

The important thing to remember in regards to the Order is the heavy adherance to laws. These could take the form of cermonies, use of lots of titles, and a very structured life which leaves little personal flavor in the individual. An ideal member of the Order is a perfect automaton, following the commands of his superiors without deviation. If he is of any merit he should have a title that is always used when addressing him, his accomadations and bearing should be emaculate, and he should be predictable for those that know him.

The interesting thing about an antagonist in the Order is their personal feelings will have little to do with their role. They could be a compassionate person still leading a genocide against a population as he has been ordered. Or he could be an incrediably sadistic individual charged with securing a peaceful farm village. In both cases the people will operate with percision and emotionless pursuit of their task.

Also for the Order there are three main factions. The Oathtakers (military branch who enforce the laws), Confessors (who are the legal arm of the Order) and the Diviners (who are the Spiritual force).

Kudos to you for doing this. I've been considering running a Ffh-based campaign with my group. We're running Forgotten Realms right now (tip the hat to Kael for the brilliant holy symbol rips), but it'd be nice to run in a world so wonderfully dark and far more accessible than Forgotten Realms. So maybe this thread will provide me with what I need as well. Thanks for doing all the dirty work. heh

Kudos to you for doing this. I've been considering running a Ffh-based campaign with my group. We're running Forgotten Realms right now (tip the hat to Kael for the brilliant holy symbol rips), but it'd be nice to run in a world so wonderfully dark and far more accessible than Forgotten Realms. So maybe this thread will provide me with what I need as well. Thanks for doing all the dirty work. heh

Im actually a huge fan of Stephanie Law, who did those symbols for the forgoteen realm dieties. I've been a fan of hers for a long time and Ive corresponded with her a few times, she incrediably nice.

I dont get much chance to use her work in the mod since its largely watercolor and has a definite style which doesn't match the rest of the art. But the 21 spehere diagram has an angel in each corner, those are all from Stephanie.

Good stuff, both of them. But I think you may be leaning a wee bit too close to the WH4K Inquisitors in that last text - I kind of couldn't help but hear Exterminatus in my head.

I agree with Kael's automaton description, and it is fitting for the Bannor as well, but in a slightly different way. They are hard men (and women) in hard times (more than almost any other nation, they are constantly on the front lines of battle), so very little would faze them, even direct orders to do something heinous. Anything to further the cause.

Is WH4K War Hammer?

My intention with Jolan is that he is devoted to rooting out and destroying the Ashen Veil. That is his standing order, as it were. He leaves no rock unturned in tracking them down. And "collateral damage" resulting from such work is just par for the course.

And always dubious of any non-Order cults....
"as they do not follow the order, purest of purest faith, we cannot say that in their heart they are not tainted by the veil... Kill them all !! GOD and Junil will save the righteous !! The chance to kill a tainted veil follower is always worth the death of some of those half-hearted followers of Kilmorph, if they really are what they claim!!!"

I love that : rote in heaven !!! more chaos brought by the order than by AV ... (out of demon summoning :D)

Top Bottom