a new, better 88mm Flak?

TopGun

258 kills
This is not really a unit request, but well maybe it is...

I've seen the 88mm Flak in SOE and I am not too happy with it but I lack the skills to improve it (unfortunately). :(
So I was wondering whether there's a unit-maker out there who feels the same and would we willing to dive into a nice little project to make th 88mm Flak look more like this:

Yeah, no sandbags, please!
Also, it'd be nice to see animations for all 8 directions and of course a more detailed look.

The 88mm Flak was one of the most successful guns the Germans ever had and I think it deserves a good representation in Civ.

I tried putting one of these together, but it is far beyond me so if someone would please tackle this it would be appreciated. The SOE one is primarily the AA varient and not suitable for use as an Artillery unit. And I also don't like the sandbags, though as an AA gun it is excellent.

-Pat

Originally posted by Patroklos
I tried putting one of these together, but it is far beyond me so if someone would please tackle this it would be appreciated. The SOE one is primarily the AA varient and not suitable for use as an Artillery unit. And I also don't like the sandbags, though as an AA gun it is excellent.

-Pat

The AA variant was used extensively in the AT role until the 88 started being mounted on a more traditional AT carriage -- ca. 1943??

Best,

Oz

Yeah, the AA variant is fine as it was used as such extensively during the early years of WWII - as an AT weapon. Remember the Afrikakorps and their ability to decimate Allied tanks with these superb guns? Few of the 88s the Afrikakorps used were mounted on a more traditional AT chassis...

Just so you know, I intend to go back and redo several of the SOE units, partly because of finding a better render filter combination (they come out much crisper now) and partly for AA units that now CAN be used as AA units. But just as a side note, I probably won't be ding a run flc for anything in the towed arty family. I've always hated how Firaxis towed stuff merrily rolls around the battlefield, so my intent is that they would require a prime mover unit with them, "load" them for a move then "unload" to set up. I'll be doing the same for the 20mm AAA and both the 75mm and 105mm towed arty pieces, so at least you won't have sandbags this time.

Originally posted by ripptide
Just so you know, I intend to go back and redo several of the SOE units, partly because of finding a better render filter combination (they come out much crisper now) and partly for AA units that now CAN be used as AA units. But just as a side note, I probably won't be ding a run flc for anything in the towed arty family. I've always hated how Firaxis towed stuff merrily rolls around the battlefield, so my intent is that they would require a prime mover unit with them, "load" them for a move then "unload" to set up. I'll be doing the same for the 20mm AAA and both the 75mm and 105mm towed arty pieces, so at least you won't have sandbags this time.

Hi Ripptide,

IIRC the AI cannot handle land transport units ... ? If so, perhaps having them towed-with-truck as the move anim will be as gratifying -- I also dislike stuff merrily rolling along ...

Best,

Oz

hmmm going to have to check into that. Another reason why I was hoping to go the route of seperate arty/prime mover (to be more realistic) was so that you could have one or the other damaged or destroyed. Have to see, I was trying the prime mover with the arty animated together, but I could never figure out a good sequence of events for animating (ie arty attached to truck for run, being unlimbered from truck and truck driving off for fortify) but then what happens if you attack straight from a run, seems to me it would all of a sudden jump to the firing position, or how does it go from a default/fortify set-up position to a run

Originally posted by ripptide
hmmm going to have to check into that. Another reason why I was hoping to go the route of seperate arty/prime mover (to be more realistic) was so that you could have one or the other damaged or destroyed. Have to see, I was trying the prime mover with the arty animated together, but I could never figure out a good sequence of events for animating (ie arty attached to truck for run, being unlimbered from truck and truck driving off for fortify) but then what happens if you attack straight from a run, seems to me it would all of a sudden jump to the firing position, or how does it go from a default/fortify set-up position to a run

Could each move begin and end with a limber / unlimber in the fortify direction (heavens, are there enough frames for that??) then add a simple rotate to fire?

-Oz

Yeah, Ripptide, the units in your preview look ALOT crisper! :)

As far as the towed artillery idea goes, I wholeheartedly agree. Huge guns just done move around on their own, unless they're mounted on a chassis. But that's a completely different ballgame...

Top Bottom