A New Dawn Beta Builds

On the first page it says that Vassalage and Parliament have been removed as Civic options yet when I go to the Civic window, it still shows them in the list. I ran the 1.75->1.76B4 installer yesterday and was wondering what might be causing this?

Hover over your flag on the bottom interface, and see what version it reports. Those civics have definitely been removed.

beta 4 bug report

Entering civilopedia trough main menu entrance, choosing corporations and taking mouse cursor on CEO (Unique unit) makes game crash. It can be reproduced, tried several times and always get crash.

Hovering over any unit graphic causes the crash. If you go to the units list you will only see 2 or 3 units!

It works fine if you go into a game. It is making my testing take 5 times as long. Since I like to test that the unit graphics work in the pedia first before trying a game.;)

It's been reported by a few people. I'm going to see if I can reproduce it and pin it down later this afternoon

Interesting. I have not yet reproduced the crash, but when I open the Sevopedia from the mod main menu (beofe loading a game) it behaves oddly. For example it only has 2 units in it! Digging now...

Hover over your flag on the bottom interface, and see what version it reports. Those civics have definitely been removed.

Thanks. For some reason it's still 1.75B. I guess I'll try running the patch again. Mine's the Steam client version if that helps at all.

Nevermind. Just saw that for some reason it created a separate "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder in the ROMAND folder I had pointed it to. Are the only changed files in the Assets directory?

Hovering over any unit graphic causes the crash. If you go to the units list you will only see 2 or 3 units!

It works fine if you go into a game. It is making my testing take 5 times as long. Since I like to test that the unit graphics work in the pedia first before trying a game.;)

Found and fixed. Expect to see this in the next beta release (soon (TM))

AND Beta 5 is up.

Changes:
A lot of bug fixes and balancing
CTD fixes from Koshling
New Save format from Koshling

It's really amazing how fast patches are thrown out but how about the python errors according to multiplayer OOS ?
Is there any chance to get a fix in the nearer future ?

1) I dislike the commando promotion for a certain early horse unit; all the enemy does is go deep in my territory and capture workers; extremely cheap and annoying

Sounds like it's working as intended then.
Ever had this happen to you with railroads built in your territory and putting up with a cavalry invasion? This needs to be thought through further. I know I said we need to beef up incentive for people to use mounted warfare but there is no need to go overboard lol

2) Though this is not new to this version I would like to take the opportunity to ask why when enabling auto build, the AI has such an aversion to building health buildings (notably Aqueduct). Even if the city has rampant unhealthyness, has built everything, the AI prefers to build tech / wealth as opposed to building aqueducts etc.

If your city is still growing, health is a waste, so I agree with the AI on this one.
Faster growth is always a better thing. Again consider a city that has rampant unhealthyness and NOTHING left to build (minus doctors office / aqueduct) and chooses NOT to build those buildings when in desperate need of them.

12) Fixed borders MUST be made optional again. By making it mandatory all culture related strategy has been obliterated in its entirety;

A) Sistine chapel, Artist Guilds and special religious buildings (that require music - eg Hindu Mandir) that give 50% culture bonus are now all useless

B) Pacifism is now partially pointless (coz it gives 100% culture bonus)

In my previous games if I felt unthreatned, I used to build a basic army and then go pacifism for about some 50 turns or so AND combine my pacifism with all the aforementioned tactics (sistine chapel, temples, monastaries and artist guilds galore). I was pushing borders to such an extent it was not even funny and I really loved it...

Not happening. Only early civics (Monarchy and older) and Fascist give fixed borders. Once you get out of the early eras, borders will become influenced by culture. You just need to play longer.
Was unawere of this; will try it out. It would be an idea to mention that Despotism, Monarchy, and Fascism give fixed borders in the civics screen. Here is another idea (if it can easily be implemented):

Regardless of civic's, apply the fixed borders rule to captured cities. Have the fixed border rule to that captured city expire after some 50-100 turns (normal game speed) OR when your population percentage exceeds the population of the captured civ. Just a thought.

14) Pyramids giving a free graveyard instead of irrigation canals simply does not make it worth building anymore (minus the engineer GP points).

Graveyards are pretty nice - It's staying.
Then we agree to disagree; having free irrigation canals BEFORE the technology was even available to build it (city planning) to spur your civilizations growth early game was awesome. Graveyards, while nice, simply dont compare in that regard. That said as it is, civs that have lots of river tiles in them definitely have too much advantage as opposed to those who start out in the middle of a jungle at the edge of a continent. Thats the only drawback to the river canals approach.

15) Abstract idea here (coz it would require finding a appropriate 3D model) but it would be nice for the future era to have a colony pod (think alpha centauri) which would basically be the upgrade for the pioneer. I dont have a tech suggestion for as to when it should be available.

..Not really into more content.

Hmmm... ima think this thru a bit more; I am thinking we can use an existing model (one of those future era defensive units, the one that looks like the APC from Alien's). If you are up for it I can come up with a tech to include it with and a list of buildings that it would deploy upon founding a city.

Nice work on fixing the other issues; thanks!

Okay, apparently I've updated to Beta 4 (I'm not seeing the B5 download). I'm getting these errors, however when I boot up Civ:

Tag: CIVIC_VASSALAGE in Info class was incorrect
Current XML file is: modules\Custom Leaderheads\Hirohito\Hirohito_CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml

Current XML file is: modules\Custom Leaderheads\Kangxi\Kangxi_CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml

Current XML file is: modules\Custom Leaderheads\Masinissa\Masinissa_CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml

Beta 5 is up guys, the link just still says 4. Try being a little investigative.

I also had many leaderhead errors that also involved governments like parliment

But there is still vassalage civic in military section.

First impressions: the game is not easy any more. It becomes more and more difficult each beta :) I was doing pretty well on monarch in beta4, but I can't keep the pace on beta5. Generally nice balancing, but the unhealthiness problem becomes ridiculous now. Seems like you can't chop your forrests anymore :)

I'm impressed with the civic changes: it is not an easy path anymore. Keep up great job!

I also appreciate that the game goes smoothly. Speed improvements is real!

Ever had this happen to you with railroads built in your territory and putting up with a cavalry invasion? This needs to be thought through further. I know I said we need to beef up incentive for people to use mounted warfare but there is no need to go overboard lol

Totally agree with this point. I also don't see why horseback troops should logically be able to use enemy roads, when foot soldiers can't. The gunpowder age+ Horse Troops are quite well balanced, and don't need a commando buff. It's the earlier ones that do need some kind of boost. I'd still opt for something like a bonus vs melee and/or first strikes, given the horse's dominance over foot soldiers (except massed spears/pikes) throughout history

Faster growth is always a better thing. Again consider a city that has rampant unhealthyness and NOTHING left to build (minus doctors office / aqueduct) and chooses NOT to build those buildings when in desperate need of them.

Unless the faster growth will cause uncontrollable unhappiness, I don't think this point can be argued against. I would never let the ai manage a city building queue for me, :eek: , but sometimes in mid/late game let the ai govs control the tile management......and find its stagnating growth in weird and wonderful ways. I'll keep 'em happy Mr Governor, you just keep 'em breeding ;)

Then we agree to disagree; having free irrigation canals BEFORE the technology was even available to build it (city planning) to spur your civilizations growth early game was awesome. Graveyards, while nice, simply dont compare in that regard. That said as it is, civs that have lots of river tiles in them definitely have too much advantage as opposed to those who start out in the middle of a jungle at the edge of a continent. Thats the only drawback to the river canals approach.

I have to go with Afforess on this. Maybe it's the maps I play, but if 5 of your first 6 cities are using mostly riverside tiles, and you build the old irrigation canal Pyramids, you've already won (see earlier post of mine in suggestion and balancing thread). If 3 of the 6 cities are just "off riverside" - for better longterm placement - and now have a free irrigation canal, which they would never have been able to build otherwise, then you've even more benefit.

I like your ideas and comments Arkatakor (highly constructive) as I'm sure Afforess does too (and face it, it's what he thinks that counts ;))
I'm sure I'll have some of my own, when I get this pesky new house sorted out, and can get back to the IMPORTANT things, like playing Civ IV :D

I am having serious issues with the lack of city maintenance costs in my latest game, so I went reading back in this thread and saw some posts alluding to it being nerfed. Is this true? Has city maintenance basically been completely eliminated from the game now? In my last game (beta 5) my city maintenance was actually NEGATIVE and I was creating as many cities as I wanted in the early game. Is this how it is suppose to work or is there a bug or do I have a bad install?

It seems to me one should never have a negative city maintenance cost? And eliminating city maintenance in my opinion would unbalance a whole bunch of buildings (e.g., Courthouse) that affect city maintenance costs.

I haven't seen too many others complain about this so I am wondering if I have a bad install, or if somehow city maintenance has just been eliminated from the game (at least in the early game) and I'm the only one who cares. The way it is working for me now seems very broken. I hope this is a bug or a bad install, not a new feature :confused:

Top Bottom