A New Dawn betatesting - help needed [ON HOLD]

I'm opening this thread because I need some help in betatesting balancing changes. Right now the game isn't too imbalanced but it could be far better IMO. I'm doing some tweaking work but I need help from people here on the forum willing to test things for me because I can't do everything by myself.

So here's what I'm proposing for the moment: right now I guess I've reached a good balancing for Blitz-Large-Noble settings, but I need other players to test these settings with different gamestyles. So I need some volunteers to play some test games with some requirements I will list below:

- Rev666 (latest one to the moment): clean install; uninstall any previous revision of RoM/AND, clear your cache, install rev666; make sure you read the last line in this post because there's a non-essential file missing in rev 666, you can download it at the bottom of this post (it doesn't affect gameplay if you don't download it, you'll just have a couple of text lines missing).
- Absolutely NO tweaks of your own, no additional civs/units or anything else; just a plain rev666 installation
- Play with whatever settings you want, just make sure you're playing on a Large map on Blitz gamespeed and on Noble level
- You can choose any other setting the way you like them; same goes for BUG options and victories
- Please report the settings you're using, better if you provide screenshots of your starting options and BUG options.
- Report in this thread as your games develop or when you're finished playing by posting your initial savegame and a savegame every 60 turns.
- You can play your game the way you like it but you can help even if you want to "autoplay" the entire game (provided the above requirements are met); just be warned that sometimes the game CTD while autoplaying and you might need to reload from a previous save.

I'm focusing on balancing at the moment so feel free to report any unbalance you might see; I need to understand if it's something related to settings or possibly mapscript.
FYI I've played a couple of games with PerfectMongoose mapscript and everything works like a charm with Blitz-Large-Noble.

Other gamespeeds-mapsizes-handicaps will be addressed in turns as we are able to check everything is working with a specific combination of options.

Please, use this thread ONLY for the aformentioned subject.

Thank you all.

EDIT: Please look at this post because one text file is incomplete in rev666; you need to change it with the one posted there. Nothing game-breaking just a couple of text lines missing.

Um, question about the install requirement... Does a SVN update from 664 to 665 count, or do I have to re-download the entire thing then update it?

Um, question about the install requirement... Does a SVN update from 664 to 665 count, or do I have to re-download the entire thing then update it?

An update will be sufficient, provided you delete your previous AND folder inside your mod folder and replace it with the newly downloaded revision. I'd like to avoid conflicts with previous revisions. Thank you.

More on this betatesting phase will follow today/tomorrow.

45°38'N-13°47'E;12934567 said:
An update will be sufficient, provided you delete your previous AND folder inside your mod folder and replace it with the newly downloaded revision. I'd like to avoid conflicts with previous revisions. Thank you.

More on this betatesting phase will follow today/tomorrow.

So delete the old AND folder, then move the SVN folder contents inside instead of simply copying them over?
(Just want to make sure I fully understand ^^)

So delete the old AND folder, then move the SVN folder contents inside instead of simply copying them over?
(Just want to make sure I fully understand ^^)

Correct if by "SVN folder contents" you mean the "Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn" folder (there's usually some other folders inside SVN folder but they aren't needed)

Alright, I've done that and have been playing a practice run on Blitz/Noble/Large-(Inland Sea) to sorta 'prepare' for the betatesting phase since I've never played anything quicker than Normal before, and have never played AND's Blitz speed - so I wanted to get some practice with it :p

So far everythings been pretty fun. Lots of barbarian activity, plenty of chaos (The good kind!)...
Not too sure if Naghualism should be falling about 60 turns in or not, but it's been fun so far.

That being said, I'll start a new and proper game when the testing phase is started and you're ready :)

I've just stared with this new mod and would like to assist with the testing.

I really like what I have seen so far - I like the challenge and experience that your mod provides. Well done

Here we go guys, read the first post and if you want to help you're more than welcome! :)

Edit: I don't know why the thread title still says "on hold"; I've changed it to "in progress" but I still see "on hold".

45°38'N-13°47'E;12945375 said:
Edit: I don't know why the thread title still says "on hold"; I've changed it to "in progress" but I still see "on hold".

Says In PROGRESS here ... maybe it's a caching issue.

Says In PROGRESS here ... maybe it's a caching issue.

Nice to know other people see it "in progress"; I've tried clearing the cache and even using a different browser (Firefox and IE) and it still says "On hold" on my pc. And even on my phone, which is not synchronized with my pc. I guess it's some kind of localization?

Oh wait, my bad ... the thread title actually reads [ON HOLD] to me as well. Your first post in this thread reads [IN PROGRESS], though.

You can't change the tread title once its posted, but you can change the individual replies titles ad nauseam.

To change titles you need to be an administrator, I think??

Actually I've changed it from "A New Dawn betatesting - help needed" to "A New Dawn betatesting - help needed - ON HOLD" :) Now I can't change it anymore.

Starting up a game to test now.
Cleared the cache upon starting RoM just to be double-safe (Even though I was playing RoM earlier anyway ^^) and was a bit annoyed at having to re-configure all the BUG options from scratch, but meh. Saved before settling or moving my scout, and am starting the game now.

BUG Options:
Under RevDCM - IDW and Pillage Influence disabled (DOn't like these), Display Detailed AI attitude disabled; everything else default.

Under 'A New Dawn' -
Defender Withdraw disabled (So annoying with this on)
War Prizes disabled
Mercy Rule enabled
Everything else default

If any other tabs need posting, I can - but as far as I know those are just interface changes and not gameplay changes :)

Nothing much going on. Kemetism and Hinduism fell in the first 20 turns. AI are ahead of me in score. The usual.

Turn 60 save posted.

*edit* Turn 125 Save posted. (Sorry, was having troubles with barbs and was getting a little nervous about Napoleon having Iron and me NOT having Iron <OR> Copper and was in a bit of a panic to get my settler down to the nearest un-owned source of Iron and um... Missed the 120 Turn mark. Ghengis died due to barbarians and Zara lost two of his cities - one of them a Holy city.)

*edit 2* Turn 180 save posted. Nothing overly strange or unusual happening as far as I can tell. Napoleon's getting restless, and I ended up as his "Worst Enemy" for a mere turn before going back to Cautious (From Annoyed). Not sure what that was about.
All in all, everything's been pretty stable and normal ^^ Zara's gone, barbarians having done him in, and I got the message Persia went under before I even met them! Not sure if Alex was the culprit or if barbarians were the cause.

*Edit 3* Turn 240 save posted. Lincoln and Napoleon are at war because of some Random Event and have stayed as such for like, ever. Pacal's the score leader and I'm at the bottom of the scoreboard. Me thinks my test results won't be all too useful? Took a peek at the rest of the world via World Builder and it's flooded with barbarians!

Nothing too unusual or out of place to report thus far though. (As far as I can tell; I'm not used to anything faster than Normal so I don't know if the AI tech pacing is like here usually!) Four AI dying to the barbarians alone was amusing though!

How many AI did you set up at game start?
EDIT: Large Map would have 12 players + barbs.

And you do know that Barb World gives the Barbs a city for every AI/player in the game. Sounds like several of your AI had the unfortunate start position of being between several barb cities. And the Barb cities will act as one empire because the games sees them as 1 empire. So basically you and the rest of your AI Civs are all starting against a barb empire that already has the number of cities = to # of players in game. So yes the world will be full of barbs till you and the AI start taking out the Barbs.

JosEPh

How many AI did you set up at game start?
EDIT: Large Map would have 12 players + barbs.

And you do know that Barb World gives the Barbs a city for every AI/player in the game. Sounds like several of your AI had the unfortunate start position of being between several barb cities. And the Barb cities will act as one empire because the games sees them as 1 empire. So basically you and the rest of your AI Civs are all starting against a barb empire that already has the number of cities = to # of players in game. So yes the world will be full of barbs till you and the AI start taking out the Barbs.

JosEPh

I left the AI count at default (going up from Small size)

Yeah, it's just a habit enabling that ^^;

I play with it on most of the time too.

@45*,
I did find that User settings was missing a lot of files. I had to reload user settings from 665 or else I had no UI on the Main screen.

On turn 40 in new test game.

JosEPh

Top Bottom