A New Name

I agree with Funak, the name should be something more stylish and remarkable, it doesn't need to be overly descriptive.

I like names that give the impression that this is something polished and that improves a lot upon the base game, which is why I suggested things like Masters' Edition and whatnot. Yeah it sounds pretentious, but a lot of time was spent on this mod and I think it deserves it.

It should be in the same theme as the titles for the expansion packs. God and Kings, Brave New World, ???

Civ V: Fixed This Sh*t :lol:

If we're sticking with the Firaxis style of names, what about:

Civ 5: Terra Incognita

We're venturing into 'Unknown Territory' with this mod, after all. :)

Decent, but it doesn't roll of the tongue very well. You ideally want something that is both easy to say or which can be shortened and still make sense.

In this case shortening it to Terra makes no sense and shortening it to Incognita still makes it hard to say.

And honestly Firaxis doesn't have nearly as pretentious titles :D I mean they have their titles in English.

CiV V: Plus Ultra
I don't know why but it sounds like the name of a brand of menstrual pads.

Decent, but it doesn't roll of the tongue very well. You ideally want something that is both easy to say or which can be shortened and still make sense.

In this case shortening it to Terra makes no sense and shortening it to Incognita still makes it hard to say.

And honestly Firaxis doesn't have nearly as pretentious titles :D I mean they have their titles in English.

I don't know why but it sounds like the name of a brand of menstrual pads.

It's a reference to the pillars of Hercules, inscribed Ne Plus Ultra. Nothing Beyond or Better. Plus Ultra started being used by Spain after the discovery of the New World. Basically, Better than the Best, or Beyond Everything.

It's a reference to the pillars of Hercules, inscribed Ne Plus Ultra. Nothing Beyond or Better. Plus Ultra started being used by Spain after the discovery of the New World. Basically, Better than the Best, or Beyond Everything.

Sure, I'm just saying that most pads are called either Plus or Ultra :D

Civ 5: Terra Incognita
The problem with this kind of name is that it sounds like the mod is a thematic mod. Like it's about some specific feature or story.

I preffer something that makes it sound "premium". Something that says: this is Civ 5, but better.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know.

Fair enough.

The problem with this kind of name is that it sounds like the mod is a thematic mod. Like it's about some specific feature or story.

I preffer something that makes it sound "premium". Something that says: this is Civ 5, but better.
It could sound like a regular civ expansion as well, nothing wrong with that idea. But in that case it needs a proper civ expansion name.

I'm trying to think of something that'll sound good in an article. Like, "Amineri has teamed up with the creators of 'The Long War,' an overhaul mod for XCOM..."

With that in mind, The Community Patch Project seems like the best option for the CP, whereas the CBP should have something meaningful, but clean. I was tossing around Civilization V: The Golden Age, but I'm pretty meh on the name.

So are we discussing the complete package here or just the CBP part? My preference would be to look at the complete package with the individual parts still being named separately.

What about a nod to the DOM text and name it:

Civ5: Tried and Tested (Test of Time would have been good if Firaxis hadn't already used it)

So are we discussing the complete package here or just the CBP part? My preference would be to look at the complete package with the individual parts still being named separately.

What about a nod to the DOM text and name it:

Civ5: Tried and Tested (Test of Time would have been good if Firaxis hadn't already used it)

The whole thing definitely, though the CBP also needs a rename (may just call it the Community Overhaul). The whole thing needs the sexy title.

G

With that in mind, The Community Patch Project seems like the best option for the CP, whereas the CBP should have something meaningful, but clean.

That's kinda the the line I was on as well.

CBP is pretty much a fanmade expansion (really on the border of a full overhaul, but keep in mind that bnw overhauled a lot of vanilla civ as well, so it's not that much of a stretch), especially if you don't count the normal community patch things.
The two possibilities I see are either pretending like it's just an expansion and give it a proper civish expansion name, or you just accept that the science remake was the final nail in the coffin on the expansion front and just call it a full overhaul, giving it an overhaul name.

Expansion names are usually themed around the main features they add, in CBP the main features added would be the Corporations (and monopolies) and maybe the happiness system or the tourism system? I'm probably forgetting something so I'll just leave it at that. The happiness and tourism systems are technically not really new features, just complete overhauls.

Overhaul names usually try to send the message that they are 'new and improved', they don't exactly have to be cocky, but you have to make it pretty clear that this is a full overhaul, not a patch, not an expansion.
In this case you don't really need to have a theme for the name, you just have to use a pretty short, catchy and strong name.

If we want something poetic, maybe:

Civilization V: Vox Populi

Symbolizes both the creation of the project as a "community" thing, and added features such as the new happiness system and such.

If we want something poetic, maybe:

Civilization V: Vox Populi

Symbolizes both the creation of the project as a "community" thing, and added features such as the new happiness system and such.

I'm personally really not a fan of Latin names. Yes I understand that everyone knows what they mean and that they are pretty basic, but they just feel like you're trying way too hard. Of course this is just my opinion.

Honestly, I would rather have a "Premium Edition" sort of name that clarifies that it's an overhaul that improves upon the game in every sense, over a poetic name. But if that's the direction people want to go...

Top Bottom