A Persia Game

I remember that in original Rhyes fall of civs controlling Egypt, Greece, India and everything between them was enough. I also had Ethiopia as a my vassal. Has the value been increased?

No. I didn't control all of India, not even the whole northern part. The ~36 more tiles that I needed could be a 100:culture: city or two 10:culture: ones before the rework of culture expansion mechanic. But now it takes significantly more :culture: for the cities to cover more tiles and there are also more barb activities in the southern part of India. In addition, taking the stability system into accout, I feel it's best to just settle a few useless cities the get the goal done.

Hm, didn't the map get enlarged in certain parts in so far as some water was taken away to create more land? Thinking of Europe here. Could that be a reason that the land goal is more difficult to achieve now than it was earlier?

8% means 1 more tile for each 12.5 tiles added... that doesn't sound too big.

But it does add up, especially with the new cultur mechanics.

8% is a bit too much. Like you need to own all land of existing civs on that time (excluding China) and I dont remember Persian Empire getting even close that historically.

What's next?

Seeing the Paragon games on the Chinese Baidu Tieba 百度贴吧, I'm starting to wonder which kind of games are more welcome on this forum: relaxed, natural, easy-to-follow Regent games or caculated, S/L spamming, game-mechanics-abusing Paragon games? Both are interesting in its own way IMO, but which is more welcome by you?

Seeing the Paragon games on the Chinese Baidu Tieba 百度贴吧, I'm starting to wonder which kind of games are more welcome on this forum: relaxed, natural, easy-to-follow Regent games or caculated, S/L spamming, game-mechanics-abusing Paragon games? Both are interesting in its own way IMO, but which is more welcome by you?

I vote for the latter.

Funny but I dont know how difficult affects on game.

Regent: you do whatever you want
Heir: now think a bit where to put cities and what to research
Monarch: now you have to calculate and not to settle extra cities
Emperor: A perfect strategy is needed, read strategy or two
Paragon: just focus on your goal, tech goals will fail so China, Rome and so on are out, you also need a lot of luck on this

Funny but I dont know how difficult affects on game.

Regent: you do whatever you want
Heir: now think a bit where to put cities and what to research
Monarch: now you have to calculate and not to settle extra cities
Emperor: A perfect strategy is needed, read strategy or two
Paragon: just focus on your goal, tech goals will fail so China, Rome and so on are out, you also need a lot of luck on this

The main difference is tech speed in both AI and the human player. There's difference in a lot of other modifiers.

Heir is the easiest difficulty though. Under Paragon difficulty, you can often see AIs do incredible things(like 3000 BC China founding Islam before human Arabia), while under Heir or Regent, it's usually the human player that does incredible things.

AI production and number of barbarians are greatly affected from difficult settings. On Emperor Greece produces only archers. On Paragon every city had 2-3 hoplites with 3 promotions.

Higher difficult mainly spoils civs that need to research something before year x or to be first on tech or wonder. All other issues can be dealed with.

I prefer calm regent games with some interesting strategies ... like settling Dublin as Portugal or invading Spain as Aztec empire.

Btw how about Greece or Rome gameplay?, lately I conquered Niwst-rst /Diaspolis Magna/ as Greece and it immediatly went independent ruining my game right from the start :confused:

Looking forward on the next games Fresol :D

Versionproof and difficultyproof historical strategies are most welcome. I don't like exploitation, they are cheating to me, meaning they might be switched off in the future.

And the simplest and most flexible strategy the better. By "flexible" I mean it influence the rest gameplay experience the least possible.

There are quite a few long-time game mechanics exploitations out there, for example tricking new-born civs -- building your capital in/near their capital's location, Vikings->England, Moors->Spain, or just rush buying an army to conquer your neighbors as any European civs. The earlier you do these kind of things, the more you benefit from them as the game goes on, which is the snowball effect.

Version-proof? Yes, the above is a very common way for people to tackle the most difficult games, along with rolling good starts and S/L to get combat victories with minimum losses. But there are also huge differences between different revisions, and huge differences between different scenarios, different starts.

Difficulty-proof? Strategies vary under different difficulty settings, for obvious reasons. The ones you use under Paragon difficulty are most likely to be too conservative under Regent difficulty, and conversely the strategy most likely wouldn't work.

Through reading about Paragon games one can learn quite a few tricks about the game, that's for sure. I just learned a lot recently. But those games are also full of S/Ls, when people seek "perfection" that's what they do. You know this paradox feeling, that Paragon games are full of S/Ls and good luck, while Regent games are just not that impressive? Urh.

In any case, detailed game reports require a lot of effort and time, they are much appreciated by me and surely lots of other people here. I hope more people can share their games.

tamils would be nice, having a lot of trouble with them

Top Bottom