• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

A poll for the World Cup of Soccer

How many World Cup games will you try to watch?

• I will try to watch them ALL

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • I will watch some of them, and follow the rest fanatically

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I will watch as many as my sleep patterns and busy lifestyle permit

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I won't watch too many, but might watch if nothing is on

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • I will watch very few games, but will try to see what this soccer stuff is all about

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • None. Soccer is a boring pathetic sport.

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
I enjoy watching Ireland, Germany, Nigeria and the US.

The only teams I dislike are the South American teams. Too much grabbing and holding, especially Argentina. They tend to be shorter guys who grab onto your shoulders and pull themselves up to head the ball. I mean is this just me or is this call a no-brainer?

CLEAN IT UP! There is no way a 5' 7" man is going to head a ball over a 6' 2" man. Common sense!

Brazil (Brasil) is awesome though, not taking anything away from Argentina, but Brazil plays a great game. Always fun to watch!

On the same note though the South American teams are the best ball handlers, the US is making strides but they have a lot of work to do to reach their level.

What is most appealing to me is the interest soccer generates world wide, it truly is amazing!

Originally posted by maddskillz
a growing sport in which we will continue to improve each World Cup

Umm.... I dare say we didn't improve a whole lot between 1994 (2nd round) and 1998 (0-3-0, 1 goal scored I believe)

Originally posted by MrPresident
Soccer World Cup?? What is this? I thought it was the Football World Cup or have the Americans re-named it? Stick to your Yankieball and let the rest of us get on with a decent sport.

(I know the above is a troll, but...)
What do the Koreans call the sport? The Japanese? Chinese? Germans? Mexicans? Russians? When I watch soccer/futball/football/Fußball/Футбол on the Spanish stations here, they list the national teams playing by the Spanish names for them. The USA is listed as Estados Unidos de América or EUA. Germany is Alemania. So, should we get bent out of shape because they spell and pronounce the names of other countries differently than the way the citizens of those countries would spell and pronounce them? Why should the word for this sport be any different? I would think it would be arrogant and somewhat jingoistic if the citizens of Deutschland sneered at the citizens of Mexico for referring to Germany as Alemania. Will you b*tch at Russians for spelling the sport's name as Футбол?

I have many friends from South America, Europe, and the Far East (Taiwan, Vietnam, Phillipines, China, etc) here in the USA with whom I regularly play football. But, we all call it soccer. They called it something else in their home countries, but they do not cringe at calling it soccer here. Why? Because they like being able to communicate. Guaranteed if you come here and talk to most Americans about football, they will think you are referring to American Football -- gridiron football. When I have travelled to Europe, I referred to the sport as football when discussing it, because I wanted to be understood. It's a big world, it's a great sport, and it goes by multiple names. I've always admired it (as a player) for the way it brings different cultures together. The sport itself is like a common langauge that crosses cultural boundaries. I am happy to call it football, but here in the USA, I will call it soccer. And regardless, I won't make an a** of myself over what other folks call it.

Like PieceMaker said; football, soccer, what's the difference. We can apply both terms here.

It's still the World Game, regardless of what Americans think. :D

So, should we get bent out of shape because they spell and pronounce the names of other countries differently than the way the citizens of those countries would spell and pronounce them?
Americans are not pronouncing the name of the game differently they have given it a completely different name. There is a difference.
1) It's Yankee, not Yankie
You are right about this and from now on I will refer to your sport as Yankeeball. Thanks for the correction.
If soccer were as popular in the US you would see the same type of talent as we have on our basketball team on the pitch every four years.
No you wouldn't. You think you would but you wouldn't.

Football was invented in England. I know that some people will debate this but the fact remains that the first FA established was the English one. So don't you think we have the right to name the sport. The name we chose was football. I accept that this must be translated into separate languages and I do not oppose this. However what I do oppose is that Americans taking our name and giving it to a sport that hardly deserves it. Then, if that wasn't enough, they decide to rename our sport with a name we discarded a long time ago. America should get with the rest of the world and respect what is the greatest sport on this planet.

Americans are not pronouncing the name of the game differently they have given it a completely different name. There is a difference.
You mean like Americans calling Deutschland "Germany"? Its a completely different name, that's for sure. Definately sounds different from "doych-land" I would say. I don't know of anyone condemning us for calling that country by a different name, though. I guess most folks understand that cultures differ.

You are right about this and from now on I will refer to your sport as Yankeeball.
Please feel free to do so. If you should come here to visit, certainly do so then. You may find from time-to-time that you have to explain to others what you mean when you use that term, however.

Football was invented in England. I know that some people will debate this but the fact remains that the first FA established was the English one. So don't you think we have the right to name the sport.
Actually, no, not anymore. I think FIFA now has the right to set the sport's standards, including its name. But, we could debate that endlessly. What do FIFA call it? "Football". What do the English call it? "Football". You're in agreement anyhow on its official name.

However what I do oppose is that Americans taking our name and giving it to a sport that hardly deserves it. Then, if that wasn't enough, they decide to rename our sport with a name we discarded a long time ago.
The majority of Americans do not really care about futball. They think it is a boring, lame sport and don't believe it deserves their attention. I happen to disagree with them. It is an awesome sport and I wish it were more popular here. I think Americans who denigrate futball are only expressing their ignorance -- about futball. They have not played it or learned enough about it to appreciate what is happening on the field.

Likewise, I see your comment here: "a sport that hardly deserves it", and I think I see the same attitude based in ignorance. It sounds like you think the sport Americans call football is a lame sport, not worthy of your attention. I don't care if you like that sport or not, but I do think you don't understand it. And apparently you feel a bit threatened by it.

I can't tell you how the American sport called football evolved and came by that name. But the fact is it did. And it became popular here long before what you call football started to make inroads here. It makes perfect sense that, in order to avoid confusing the two, they should be referred to by different names. "Football" is popularly understood here to mean gridiron football. "Soccer" is an excellent alternative, given the situation. I can't see why that is worth such resentment.

America should get with the rest of the world and respect what is the greatest sport on this planet.
Those in America that love this sport already respect it and some would even agree that it is the greatest sport on the planet.

Should we Americans spell color, colour and center, centre, and replace all our words with Z's with S's or else be faced with the diatribes of aristocrats like Mr "Bunghole" President :egypt:? Two different cultures mate, and BTW we, Americans, live in the better one... Now go drink a beer at the local pub, take the Apple to your Flat and crash and get over it... :D

Anyways the USA beating a team from a country the size of New Jersey doesn't seem that big of a deal; Although beating England, the Size of New England, might actually make it on the news, I wouldn't bet on it... Small fries are for small people... Basketball is the sport that the world loves more than any... Soccer, yes Soccer, is for the Europeans and South Americans and not too many after that.

~Matthew

Basketball is the sport that the world loves more than any... Soccer, yes Soccer, is for the Europeans and South Americans and not too many after that.
You don't travel much outside of America do you?
You mean like Americans calling Deutschland "Germany"? Its a completely different name, that's for sure.
It is not a completely different name. It is a translation. Deutschland is German. Germany is English. The English are not using Deutschland to describe something else. They have just translated it. Much like football has been translated into many different languages. The Americans have taken the name football and used it for a different sport. That is not a translation. There is a difference.
You may find from time-to-time that you have to explain to others what you mean when you use that term, however.
Much like you will have to do when you travel abroad.
It sounds like you think the sport Americans call football is a lame sport, not worthy of your attention.
You misunderstood me. I do not believe that Yankeeball is a bad sport. Far from it. I quite enjoy watching a game from time to time. What I meant was that the term football should be used for a sport that employs the foot far more often than Yankeeball. As I see it only occassionly does the ball touch the foot. So that is why I said that sport doesn't deserve the name football. A sport like Australian Rules Football has far more claim to the name than Yankeeball.
It makes perfect sense that, in order to avoid confusing the two, they should be referred to by different names.
Of course it does. So refer to Yankeeball as soccer and football as football and the problem will be solved. However I doubt you will see that as a practical solution.

Basketball is the sport that the world loves more than any... Soccer, yes Soccer, is for the Europeans and South Americans and not too many after that.
:crazyeye: Surrealistic! :crazyeye:

They should have named soccer as american football, and american football as soccer. That way, noone would have to be confused about what they were talking about since almost the rest of the world use the word football.

Football = fotboll, fussball, etc.

However, done is done. (gjort är gjort)

Oh yeah, Soccer is so incredibly popular in India, China, Russia, and America therefore it has too be the most popular sport in the world. Hate to break it to you Europeans, but the borders of the world do not end at the edge of Europe. Europe comprises less than 5% of the world population... It's a bit like saying English or Spanish is the most spoken language in the world and disregarding that 1.5 billion people who speak Chinese, makes it the most spoken language. And guess what, the Chinese love Basketball, along with a lot of other countries. That's the bases of B-Ball being on top... So take your incongruous comments else where. :p

It is not a completely different name. It is a translation. Deutschland is German. Germany is English. The English are not using Deutschland to describe something else. They have just translated it. Much like football has been translated into many different languages. The Americans have taken the name football and used it for a different sport. That is not a translation. There is a difference.
Well, of course it is a translation. It is the expression of the same concept in a different language. But languages are mutable so that, although two or three nations may speak the same language, they do not always use the same terms. I'm assuming you're from England. I'm from the USA. We both speak English, but here are examples of different terms we use to express the same things (UK/USA): bonnet/hood, garden/yard, lorry/truck, boot/shoe, kit/uniform, lift/elevator (please forgive if I misspell UK terms). Note that many of the UK terms are used to describe other things in the USA. Please don't go French on me and start demanding language purity for English!

Now you may be implying that the Americans deliberately took the name "football" and hijacked it for use in naming American Football, perhaps with the intent of subverting the use of that name when describing what we call soccer. That's not what you're suggesting, is it? I don't think there was any attempt to marginalize footie when it came time over here to provide an official name for what we now call Football.

You misunderstood me. I do not believe that Yankeeball is a bad sport. Far from it. I quite enjoy watching a game from time to time. What I meant was that the term football should be used for a sport that employs the foot far more often than Yankeeball. As I see it only occassionly does the ball touch the foot. So that is why I said that sport doesn't deserve the name football. A sport like Australian Rules Football has far more claim to the name than Yankeeball.
American Football was originally very similar to rugby but has evolved into the sport it is now. The forward pass was added to the game well after it had become popular and the name had been attached. Similar to rugby, the game originally provided for scoring by carrying the ball over an endline and/or by kicking the ball through a goal. This is not unlike Australian Rules Football, which you say has a greater claim to the name "football." Actually, even with the modern forward pass, a significant percentage of points are still scored in the game with the foot.

But I don't disagree with your logic. The name football is an obvious name for what is called soccer in the USA. From what I've seen of Australian Rules Football, "punchball" or "fistball" might be a more appropriate name for that sport. And American Football might have been called "carryball". Also, what most of the world calls "football" could have very logically been called "kickball". Ahhh, could have/should have. It's totally academic at this point.

So refer to Yankeeball as soccer and football as football and the problem will be solved. However I doubt you will see that as a practical solution.
Do you seriously think that is a practical solution? If so, I will question your judgement. It is not practical at all. I propose a more practical solution: understand that football is called "soccer" in the USA and accept that; understand that different cultures sometimes call things by different names and don't be offended by that; understand that, by whatever name the sport is called, it is loved around the world, including here in the USA. (Admittedly, I am concerned somewhat about the practicality of my suggestion as well.)

Does anyone think this thread has gotten out of hand? Its not as if all Americans call football, soccer anyway. Generally people feel football is a more popular sport because it has a world cup whereas there is no Basketball world cup, unless I am missing something.

Why have a world cup of basketball anyway?

The U.S. would win it EVERY four years, (With FRY coming in second, or maybe Canada) and that's not good for world advertising. Just because the ENGLISH can't play basketball (Or don't want to), doesn't mean that it isn't popular.

Mr. Prez, RELAX already. We would call it (soccer) football over here too, but there is a much better sport already called that here.:)

I am extremely amused at the indignation of the poor Europeans over the word soccer. It's just a word! For those of you who are too sensitive to handle it, perhaps you should get some culture, instead of accusing others of having none.

I lived in Europe for 5 years, visit regularly, and still call it soccer. I can speak 2 OTHER languages (One albiet badly:)) and I STILL call it soccer.

When I am at the pub, with some of my Irish friends, and I call it soccer, they can understand me, AND they don't get their panties in a wad about it.

I suggest that those of you who get offended receive some sensitivity training on this matter.:D

It is not a completely different name. It is a translation. Deutschland is German. Germany is English.
Small quibble - Deutschland is indeed a German word; Germany, however, is borrowed from Latin germania. Your point, tho, is not harmed by this tidbit.

(Sodak quickly jumps out of the ring...)

To everybody that says Football is not the most popular sport in the world:

Look at this forum

Originally posted by alephz

:lol: Football is not popular in Russia?
what planet are you from?

Ask the average Russian and I believe they will say... "Hockey is very major in Russia, so is tennis, so are many other sports. "

Sure soccer, and they call it soccer too (at least when speaking English), is watched and played, as it is here in the USA. But the most popular? nope, nada, nay... Then again it's all a matter of opinion... hehe

To everybody that says Football is not the most popular sport in the world:

Look at this forum

Of course all the sludge is going to rise to the top at world cup time. :crazyeye:
You should come back next January and see how Soccer is fairing next to Football (The Grid Iron).

Well, i'd like to make some considerations:

1th -

There are two valid opposing points in this discussion: one, that the USA's sport isn't really football, because it isn't played with the feet. I agree with that. I would also add that the oval thing they play with is hardly a ball, so not only "foot", but also"ball" is not deserved. Perhaps "Kickegg" :crazyeye: would be a better name :D.

Two, it's not practical to think that name will be changed. The countries adopted their own names for each sport and they will keep them as they are.

If i'm not mistaken, despite the fact that Tyranossaurus Rex means "King of the Terrible Lizards", they are not lizards at all, at least to the most modern theories... But no one say that the name should be changed just because of that.

SOME DAY, if that gets important enough, people will create a standart. If not things will stay the same. I leave the matter for when it matters.

For the sake of Understanding, I'll call the games Soccer and Football.

2th -

Mr. Prez, RELAX already. We would call it (soccer) football over here too, but there is a much better sport already called that here.

On what grounds you clain that Football is superior to Soccer? I don't see why it's intrinsically better.

When i was a kid, i tought that Football was a ugly violent sport, that required no skill at all, because all you have to do is throw a ball and them carry it under your arm. It's unfair, and when i got ESPN at home, i saw that it's a very cerebral sport, that requires lots of skill and a defined tatics. It's indeed very cool, altough i think it lacks pace, because it's turn-based.

Soccer, on the other hand, is very fluid, continuous, vibrant. You can understand that concept, since basketball is preety much the same in that point. Also, it's all about skill. Unlike football, when you have players whose only contribution is the strenth, in Soccer EVERYONE must have skill, even if some does not have a commendable amount of it.

Both have it's own merits. Neither is superior by nature to the other. Only thing is, there is the undeniable reality that football appeals to the americans, while soccer IS the most beloved sport of the whole world.

I think the basic reason to that is that it's very cheap to play. All you need is a soft sphere, people and space. No real need to have armours (as football) or nets (as tennis) or bats (as baseball), When i was a kid, i used to play in a neighbour's garage using balls made of old socks. that's how cheap it is to play.

There's also a factor that i never understood. once, in an advertising about the Major League Soccer, i saw the image of one of the players with a swollen purple eye and a cut in his forehead, and the comentary "Who said it's not a man's game?"

That's how wrong you people understand Soccer. It's not about roughness, it's about grace, lightness. If Media try to sell to the americans that soccer is about having gladiators in the field, than i can understand why they dislike it. It will never be as rough as Football, and will feel like a "sissy game" as i saw some calling it.

Perhaps if you try to watch and pay attention - as I did with Football - you will see the merits of Soccer, and understand the reason why it's loved worldwide.

Oh, and believe me, the reason why there is no other world cups other than soccer is not because "all the world knows and fears that USA will win always". You may feel surprised with it, but there is talented people everywhere, not only within your borders.

Just to help you with memories, Brazil once won the pan-american tournament over USA, and, in last olimpics, the dream team did got the gold medal, but won the semi-final by ONE point, with the other team having (i don't remember wich, it was from eastern europe) the ball on their hands.

Other example is when the Spurs won the championship, they played the MacDonald's Tournament in Europe, and the Italian team really gave them a hard time, and they took the lead only in the last quarter.

With more and more foreigns playing the NBA, how can you think that only Americans can play it well?

Well, Flatlander, altough i have quoted and questioned you, this does not refer personally to you, it's a consideration that i think is valid for everyone in this discussion.

3th

Soccer, yes Soccer, is for the Europeans and South Americans and not too many after that.

Well, mister BeerCur, you happen to be very wrong at that. See, FIFA have more associates than the United Nations. It's a worldwide organization, able to create a single sport competition that draws almost - if not as much - attentions a the whole Olimpic Games.

Other sports fits in, but soccer is growing more and more apart from the olimpics, because it has enough strengh to survive on it's own. It actually drew too much attention itself in the olimpics, something that you couldn't see in your press, but is a plain fact.

Also, it's representation is so varied that there are 6 subdivisions of the FIFA (confederations), each one representing a populational area. Check the FIFA website (www.fifa.com):

- AFC (Asia Football Confederation)

- CAF (Confédéracion Africaine de Football)

- Concacaf (Confederation of North, Central American, and Caribbean Football Association)

- Conmebol (Confederaión Sudamericana de Fútbol)

- OFC (Oceania Football Confederation)

- UEFA (Unión des Associations Européennes de Football)

As you can see for yourself, there are representatives from all over the globe, a fact that can be seen in the world cup. Except for 3 games (Germany 8 X 0 Saudi Arabia, Brazil 4 X 0 China and Portugal 4 X 0 Polony), all the matches were even and anyone could win. This does not look like the kind of sport that is played in a limited space.

Now, i'm not saying that other sports are not loved anyway. I, for one, DO love basketball, i play it a lot (though i'm not very good), and i follow the NBA (I'd say GO Lakers GO but i see no point) and the Brazilian championship whenever i get a chance...

But there's no comparison between how much soccer is representative and how much basketball is. To say that is to simply ignore the pure facts of reality.

Well, i think that's all i had to say.

By the way, from end of december to end of february Soccer is out of season, both in Europe and in South America (and preety much in everywhere else, because almost all adopts the European Calendary). In the rest of the year, it'll demolish any one that you try to confront with it. I question myself if even in that period it won't.

regards :) .

Top Bottom