• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

A slightly different religion topic

The granting of sainthood requires only the confirmation of miracles and that the person in question die in a state of grace. You have some problem with your Church honoring the memories of good men?

I don't mean to be so negative in this thread, I used to be Catholic and most of my family still is... so I mean no disrespect when I say this, but

Sainthood is indeed a farce. It's basically an exclusive club for the deceased that the church hand picks. There is no such thing as miracles.

Thats fantastic warpus. You don't believe in Catholicism. Thank you for the contribution.

It's a figure of speech, dur.

You failed to understand the point of what I said. (Here's a hint, I don't believe in God.)

Its a disgrace for them to delineate certain people as dying in a state of grace and capable of interceding on behalf of members of the Church Militant? Do you have some explanation for this? Heaven's not like a secret club that's cooler with fewer members, if thats what you're implying, everyone in heaven is a "saint".

No, it's a disgrace that so many people are given the title of sainthood and being canonized. Back in the day, it took a little more than a couple of miracles and some crazy backing to get you a St. title, now that's all it takes, and it seems to take away from the holiness and/or exclusiveness of the title.

Uhuh, 10,000 recognized saints, I doubt a few more would make the difference. And like I said holiness doesn't somehow diminish with numbers.

You sure seem to have some strong opinions about the inner workings of a Church you don't believe in.

My views:

I don't like what he stood for. Although (based on what little I know) the Mexican Constitution went too far in prohibiting public expression of religion, bear in mind the traditions they were dealing with. (I have nothing agaisnt Catholicism as such, but any religion causes problems when more than 50% of the people in an area belong to it in my opinion, and the Catholic Church doesn't exactly have an exemplary historical record.) And he wasn't so much acting for freedom of religion as for the power of his own church.

That said, I do have some respect for those willing to die (note I said die, not kill) for whatever they believe, even if it is something I find wrong. And I don't see why others object so strongly - it was his life, why can't he choose how to end it?

I held the same views regarding saints when I did believe.

If you did not believe in miracles then you were never a Catholic in any meaningful sense beyond being formally baptized. And either way that contributes little to the topic at hand.

There is no such thing as miracles.
I found this interesting since I've notice even atheist believe in miracles no matter how hard to try to deny it.
From so little infro it's really hard to determine the man's motive.

Top Bottom