A Well-Stocked Kitchen

back in December I bought a bag of rice(20 kgs) for 250 Dkr($44) and have just barely reached the half-way point. Best drunken purchase ever.

I would recommend every student to get that ASAP! It's better than cup noodles or pasta, and you don't really need much to make something tasty. I it really helps in the months where the money are tight.

How does pork and steaks hold up in the freezer?

Oh and I often buy ground turkey instead of ground beef. It's really good. Turkey bacon is kind of meh though.

You have to get accustomed to turkey bacon. I'll get it in restaurants sometimes as something a little different (and pretend to be a hipster douche while eating it), but I haven't bought it to cook myself.

I'm not sure how well various meats hold up in the freezer because my minifridges don't have reliable ones; I buy-and-cook meats within three days. I'll censor the terrible joke I was about to make to avoid the wrath of the mods.

Too much sugar. In the context of unsweetened milk-replacement beverages rice>almond>soy.

That's why its delicious.

So many lost souls, wandering aimlessly around the breakfast desert without vegemite. It breaks my heart.

I can go without panda fetuses for breakfast as well.

You need two shotguns because most kitchens have an exterior exit. One is never enough in such rooms because you just can never tell if you going to face an interior or exterior threat.

Several handguns in various drawers of course but I didn't need to mention that.

Beer and dog food.

You remind me of my granddad, except he uses his shotguns to blast gophers.

back in December I bought a bag of rice(20 kgs) for 250 Dkr($44) and have just barely reached the half-way point. Best drunken purchase ever.

I would recommend every student to get that ASAP! It's better than cup noodles or pasta, and you don't really need much to make something tasty. I it really helps in the months where the money are tight.

UN relief bags (as we called them) were all the rage at my undergrad.

That's another mainstay of my microwave. Throw a cup of rice, two cups of water, and a bit of salt in a casserole dish. Nuke it for 5-6 minutes or so until the water boils. Cover and heat at 50% for 15 minutes more. Let it stand for 5 minutes, and you have a prodigious amount of good healthy food that will last for hours. Many people will be satisfied with only 1/2 cup of rice and 1 cup of water.

But that's >$2 for 1 kg.

I get rolled oats for £0.75 for 1 kg. And eat it uncooked, soaked in milk or water. Because I prefer it that way.

I don't say it's nutritionally as good as (I presume white) rice. But rice isn't a balanced food either.

Compared to the average food prices in Denmark it's quite cheap. And mix the rice with some frozen veggies(which you should always buy a bag of when near a grocery store anyway) and you have something a lot tastier, and presumably healthier, than Spaghetti and ketchup.

The nutritional content of rice depends on the processing and type of rice; white rice isn't as good nutritionally as brown rice because a lot of nutrients are in the germ and that is removed to make white rice.

Brown rice is just plain nasty, imo. And it takes twice as long to cook. Mind you, I've gone right off rice altogether. At the moment it just seems to give me a lot of phlegm in the back of the throat. (Annoyingly, I've only recently bought quite a lot of the stuff.)

It's Yasmin rice from Cambodia(I'm a bit uncertain whether I have supported a regime we don't like know), don't know it they are some of the good rice but compared to those nasty plastic bags of rice you get in cardboard boxes I think these are the better deal. And for a well-stocked kitchen I feel the relief bag is the better investment.

Rice or pasta Antilogic:trouble:

EDIT: Borachio is one of the first ones up against the wall.

The most common grain I cook is whole-wheat pasta, although my family used to cook more rice. I prefer Italian to Asian cooking.

EDIT: Borachio is one of the first ones up against the wall.

Hey, don't pick on me, buster. I've already got my gun in my hand pointed at VRWCAgent in another thread. Purely in self-defence, you understand.

But I'm ready and dangerous.

Top Bottom