Breakfast, the most important meal of the day.

Which of these are usually included in your breakfast meal?

• A hot drink (coffee, tea, etc.)

• A cold drink (juice, water, etc.)

• Hot cereal (may be seasonal)

• Cold cereal (may be seasonal)

• eggs

• Bacon or other meat

• Pancakes or waffles

• Fresh fruit

• Toast

• Muffin (looks like a cupcake)

• Other bread items (scones, croissant, etc.

• Veggies

• Yogurt

• Noodles

• Potatoes

• Fish

• Rice

• Soup

• Something else

• I don't eat breakfast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Idea probably came from America though.

China, by way of a Greek-born cook

“In those days, the only sweet and sour thing you would get is Chinese pork, you know, with the sweet and sour sauce,” says Panopoulos. “Otherwise there was no mix.”

He was already serving Chinese food at the Satellite, and felt that people would connect to sweet and savory flavors together. So one day in 1962, he took down a can of pineapple, drained it, and threw the pieces of fruit on a pizza.

20231202_200606.png

I'm on a diet. I'm allowed 1 bad meal a week. One of my favorite breakfasts I gave every 2-3 weeks. Last week's fine out breakfast was a Caesar salad.

20231203_092923.jpg
Eggs Benedict.

Usually followed by a 2 hour hike.

Working weekdays, breakfast is usually just a bowl of homemade muesli* (or cornflakes) with milk.

Weekends it's fresh breadrolls (bought or home-baked), with pancakes or waffles being an occasional variation, e.g. on special occasions.

Drink is usually black tea with milk, or occasionally latte macchiato.

If we go out somewhere for breakfast, or while on holiday in all-inclusive hotels (not that we've done much of that since Before Covid) -- and especially if it's a diving-day -- it's all of the above, plus eggs (boiled, scrambled or fried) and juice, and possibly also fruit.

*This basically consists of whatever the local supermarket had in stock the last time I needed to mix up a new batch. Rolled oats, flaked almonds and Studentenfutter (lit. "student fodder" = mixed nuts and raisins) are staples, sunflower/ pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries or banana chips are subject to availability. Cornflakes and/or grapenuts may also be sprinkled in for variety.

I'm surprised that so few people include bacon or sausage for breakfast.

Today I had a slice of cold pizza with my coffee. Mostly stopped eating breakfast but if I can have it, I generally go with eggs and egg complements, maybe yogurt, and maybe a smoothie.

I go out to the local chain diner for some bacon once every week or so with eggs. I don't cook bacon at home.

When I'm making breakfast I just woke up, so throwing something in the toaster or pouring a bowl of cereal is about as much as I can bother to do! Sometimes when I'm feeling fancy I'll microwave some "sausage" links.

Normally my breakfast is a glass of milk with toast/frozen pancake, but sometimes I change it up for a week and do cereal or oatmeal. When I get to work I have a cup of coffee. Otherwise, that's it.

Vegetarians don't eat bacon. Or sausage ;)
I know; my wife is a vegetarian and we don't have bacon or sausage or beef in the house. Chicken, from time to time if I order in.

leftovers
For years and years this was my only answer. My primary weight control strategy is to fill up on vegetables rather than "caloric staples", and I always cook enough that I can at least fill up with them at breakfast.

Just recently I have added fresh bread to my breakfasts. I got a bread maker a few months ago and now every evening I set it off on a timer and every morning I wake up to freshly baked bread. It only takes a couple of minutes, and even my most expensive recipes are under a pound a loaf. I would find it hard to live without now.

For years and years this was my only answer. My primary weight control strategy is to fill up on vegetables rather than "caloric staples", and I always cook enough that I can at least fill up with them at breakfast.

Just recently I have added fresh bread to my breakfasts. I got a bread maker a few months ago and now every evening I set it off on a timer and every morning I wake up to freshly baked bread. It only takes a couple of minutes, and even my most expensive recipes are under a pound a loaf. I would find it hard to live without now.
literally after this thread i bought some bread and toppings and have been eating that for breakfast

eaten it for dinner too tho. i guess i just kinda missed bread

but yea to me it's enough of a struggle to make food myself. so it's like whatever's quick and in the fridge, and that's usually leftovers - atm it's sandwiches and orange juice

literally after this thread i bought some bread and toppings and have been eating that for breakfast

eaten it for dinner too tho. i guess i just kinda missed bread
I love bread and can eat it anytime of the day: homemade, bakery made, artisanal, wheat, sourdough, raisin, ethnic, croissants, scones, muffins, etc. Warm with butter, with peanut butter, cheese, eggs, or even plain.

Used to more frequently, was a favorite food once upon a time. But it's more expensive than it used to be and the kiddo doesn't eat a ton when I dethaw a package(he'd rather a cereal with some form of chocolate(he's also figured out that adult fiber cereals have more sugar in them than kids cereals these days)), so the dog and I wind up with much of it.

Happy dog!

Perspective is a funny thing. Watching a dog watch you cook bacon? Coolest guy on the planet. At least for a minute.

Most breakfasts consist of:
1) Pour over coffee with exacting precision.
2) Fruit/berries (usually thawed from frozen, occasionally fresh) topped with muesli, a bit of granola, some spoonfuls of hemp hearts, ground flax, and chia seeds, a couple large dollops of Greek yogurt or Skyr, all mixed up with some soy milk.

Sometimes instead of the muesli mix I'll do savoury oatmeal (steel cut oats with nuts/seeds/eggs) or pressed cottage cheese (all protein, no salt) with fruit/nuts/hemp/flax.

Geez, my go-to pumpernickel recipe that I make about once a week runs me around $5/loaf.

Geez, my go-to pumpernickel recipe that I make about once a week runs me around $5/loaf.
I analysed the cost per loaf of various rye bread recipes and came up with this to relate the price to healthiness. Each line reprasents between 0 - 200g of rye flour. The price does not include the 17p per egg that I have gotten into adding, nor the fibre the chia seeds.
Spoiler Price to fibre :

Top Bottom