1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AA04: Victoria’s Aggressive Adventures

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, May 26, 2008.

1. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Yeah, Frankcor, great to see you again on these boards! Hope everything is well on your side!

Back to the game ... so writing it is and I will whip mercilessly for our little war with Brenny.

We are culturally okay, no too bad. As expected, QSH is the glorious one in this respect ... too bad he is fated to be annexed by the British ...

On the more interesting news, we got Iron. Brenny, be afraid, be very afraid! :hammer:

Especially since you do not have any metals ... (yet).

Our exploring workboat met a barb galley, and is chased by it throughout my turnset.

Pericles came asking us to switch religion ... I thought abt it for some time, and decided to agree. Afterall QSH s also Hindu and the last thing we want is for Brenny to drag QSH in when we DoW.

I played until I feel we have enough forces to take at least two cities. A total of 13 turns I think.

The western forces shouldn't have a problem taking the phant city with 2 archers. The eastern forces need to move across the river to avoid cross-river -penalty. If we choose to steal a worker, it may take an additional one turn.

We could probably stop after getting this two cities. Alternatively, we can prepare (i.e. whip) some galleys and try to liberate the fishes.

--

Attached Files:

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

I just remembered that our illustrious captain is somewhere "illustrating" ... so the roster:

Roster
    Mystyfly == Have you found an external monitor?
    pholkhero == Got Harsh-ed
    negyvenketto
    GreyFox
    >> beserks01 == UP!
    pigswill

One more thing regarding the war, just realized the phant city is at size 1 still ... :gripe: ... so I don't know whether we want to wait for it to grow to size 2 (danger of Brenny getting iron hooked up) or simply build a settler to replace that city. I would chose the latter.

--

3. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

I have. I'm definitely able to play again :woohoo:

Small war with brennus will let us expand nicely, we'll see how far it goes. If Brennus still hasn't any metal hooked up it'll be rather easy me thinks. If we get stopped still we can probabely raze 1-2 border cities to remove cultural pressure.

4. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

Got it for tomorrow.

5. mystyfly

Had a look at the save. Looking good, brennus seems to be weak but I don't like how our troops are stationned. I'm talking of the northern stack, that is 2 turns away from capturing that city. Thing is it'll have to cross a river. I think we should reposition this stack first.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Reposition where?

Depending on what's the priority here. If we want to attack fast, moving the stack north then declare waste more turns. Plus moving them north requires OB first. Personally, I see no difference -- its just a manner 2 turns or 1 turns.

7. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

I decided to wait 1 more turn before declaring, to get the worker if I can.

The next turn, I knocked on Brennus's door and delivered a message.

The following turn, the working I was going to steal moved to a different spot, but another working appeared close by to be nabbed. Also, as an added benefit, Vermillon, which was at size 1 before, has grown to size 2 :goodjob:

We take Vermillon easily.

Camulodunum proved a tougher nut to crack with 4 archers guarding it. Luckily, Brennus decided to prove himself a brilliant leader and sends one of them outside the city while we have it surrounded :shrug:

We took Camulodunum with 2 axes as casualties, and gained 3 workers.

Our scouting workboat found a barb city on one of the islands, right before it found a barb galley and was sanked next turn.

Pericles wants OB, I accepted.

We have a good event that help boosted relations with Pericles.

Math came in and I selected Masonry for Construction next.

Razed Gergorvia.

We got a GG. He's awaiting orders in London.

Masonry came in, Construction queued.

As our army stands knocking on Tolosa's front door, Brennus once again prove his leadership skill by producing a settler there.

Tolosa of course was razed with no casualties on our side and an additional worker.

I stopped here. We need to do something about Qin soon, he's slowly taking our tiles within his borders. We can also continue to push Brennus further if we want since he only has archers and chariots.

Attached Files:

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Excellent progress! :goodjob:

Some facts to consider:

- If you look at the southern isles, you would notice a new Brennus border, telling us he settled a city on iron. Which means he will have axes and swords soon.

- Qin is building up lots of cats ... I suspect he does not have metals as well. We should reinforce our northern cities. We also need a few spears to protect against chariots/horses.

As such, I think it is time to make peace and reconsolidate. Unfortunately we don't have alphabet nor currency to extort techs from Brennus. I suggest we do some necessary infrastructure build up until we get construction. Then we build a few war-phants and cats and invade north.

Roster
    Mystyfly == On Deck
    pholkhero == Autoskip
    negyvenketto
    GreyFox
    beserks01 == Excellently Played (thanks to the previous players' build up :mischief:)
    >> pigswill == UP!

9. mystyfly

I agree with signing peace with brennus and move onto qsh. The earlier we have our back cleared, the better. Facing only cats, archers and horsies is great. And we'll get wonders and religions to boot!

10. negyvenketto

negyvenketto Scientist

:agree: Sounds like a plan. Let's take peace and strengthen economy before the next war.

11. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Got it......

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Pigswill is flying late ... so Mysty is free to take the save if you post a got it before pigswill can response.

13. mystyfly

I'll can't play before wednesday afternoon so pigswill has some time left... otherwise "got it".

14. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

holy shi'ites and sunni worshippers!

just when RL implodes, the inimitable Capt. frankcor returns! :D GREAT to see you around again, frank! and is that bolded a compliment or . . . ;)

the pholkhero hiatus

dang you guys move fast! nice work on brennus. remember not to get too bogged down, but i think the limited war, consolidate and move into China is the move here. remember, taking france in '02 was what gave us our win in that game, and this will work in the smae fashion, methinks.

re: the AA series: as I'll be gone for a month or more, odds are, you'll finish up. feel free to continue with the AA series; just don't repeat leaders, switch on AA and RBs, and remember everything else is random! also, w/a win on Emperor with this, my idea was to make the AA04 a non-military win to make sure its not all about the the axe rush ;)

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Heh, with Pholky going on hiatus, we shall prove once and for all why we lose in AA03 ... this game is gonna be a landslide win by us. ;)

--

16. mystyfly

:lol:

Me thinks you should decide on leader, opponents and map script. BTW have fun doing what you'll do :goodjob:

17. mystyfly

playing now... (of course some extra turns due to absence :p)

plan: strengthen eco and prepare to take out QSH.

18. mystyfly

Played 16 turns

IHT
    Gift Mysticism to Pericles
    Qin "I have no metal" Shi Huang is the only AI in WHEOOH :rolleyes:
    Camulodunum has no culture but builds a rax... change that to a monument
    Settle the GG as a MI in London. If you disagree - you had time to say so...
    Don't sign peace with Brennus yet as our troops would be trapped

(1)IBT
    Lose a sword to a chariot while retreating

(2)
    Notice this, which makes me :mad:

(3)
    Beg Polytheism from Pericles
    Sign Peace with Brennus

IBT
    We don't get much breathing time - our dear friend QSH comes calling:

We lose one worker and an axe

(4-5)
    From finishing QSH's cat-stack we get a GG (still in London). QSH's units before the counterattacks:

(6-12)
    Mostly killing single units. We lose no units IIRC but don't deal major damage to QSH's army. Well, this would be mainly due to the fact that our units were on the way home and healing when QSH came calling.
    I sent a stack of 2 axes, 2 swords and a spear north. In the ice, there seemed to be a city...

(13)
    I get a bit uneasy when I spot this. QSH having LBows will complicate things

(14)
    ... sure enought, I find a city up there, guarded by a 1 chariot + 1 archer. Needless to say it gets burned to the ground

We can be 100% sure now that the chinese have no metals and that we're facing a though game :mad::mad:. Seriously I'm not gonna play SGs with Random Events on for a while...

Construction finally done, priesthood next (backfilling and unlocking CoL, Monarchy)

(15)
    Make this deal

Priesthood > Aesthetics (none of the AIs we know has it yet, even though parth (and HG btw) have been built this set)

(16)
    zzz

---

You should whip nottingham soon. Also York and London should be whipped occasionally, namely then when they a) reach happy cap or b) run out of good tiles to work.

ATM QSH offers us this deal, mainly due to razing that city

I think we should make peace asap and whip a couple of cats to be able to achieve something. Simultaneously this gives time to QSH for upgrading his archers. We have a nice stack near york (with 1 cat :woohoo:) that might be able take shanghai (flatland). TBD.

Tech overview. Not much to say here except we're way behind (not only behind the AIs but also compared to other games. C'mon its 300AD... Liberalism time ;)

RE GG: I think we need a MASH unit but I prefer chariots so we'd need to wait until we get horses. If we want to settle him, probabely in Nottingham.

Also we clearly need some kind of GPFarm. We're just putting down cottages everywhere. Either we need a fishing city soon that goes on GP duty or we convert one of our existing cities, probabely london, due to lack of better options. I didn't start a settler since we won't be able to afford it atm. But soon canterbury will be working 3 gem mines...

save
    View attachment AA04 AD-0310.CivBeyondSwordSave

19. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

If you have to ask, it's probably not a compliment. ;)

It's good to see you too.

20. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Nice set. Great job fighting off QSH and teach him a lesson. Be grateful that QSH does not have metals, and the partisans will merely be club-waving free-exp-dispensers. I would take peace now and build up for more cats. I think sacrificial cats is the only way to punch through the protective longbows (it would be nice to have trebs, but that is too far off). Phants might do a decent job after the cats. So, those should be our main builds.

Speaking of which -- calendar? Do we even have HBR yet?

Roster
    -- Mystyfly == Just Played, and mashed QSH up
    -- pholkhero == RIP
    >> negyvenketto == UP!
    -- GreyFox
    -- beserks01
    -- pigswill == learning to skip as a step towards learning to fly