Adaware SE released

MarineCorps

Explosion!
Got an E mail about it just a little while ago!

There is a category of Ad-Aware users that will always demand even more performance. We share their passion, so we created Ad-Aware SE, an innovative new approach - The New Generation. Lavasoft, with its Ad-Aware technology, is widely known for delivering comprehensive and secure performance. Together with several newly developed techniques and our newly developed scanning technology Ad-Aware SE delivers heretofore unseen performance on both PCs and workstations. Just like in the past, where Lavasoft was one of the first to offer a comprehensive anti Spyware solution, we're proud to be the first again to offer a new generation, ground-breaking anti Spyware solution.

We would like to expand further on that statement and have therefore highlighted the key areas we have worked on during the past year to again further improve and ensure the protection of end-user desktops all the way up to the corporate and enterprise environment.

With Ad-Aware SE we show how to achieve modern, comprehensive anti Spyware protection.

NEW features in Ad-Aware SE Professional edition

New command line parameters that allow for silent and automated operation of Ad-Aware
UNC support for remote storage of Preferences, definitions, and log files
New results screens and detailed statistics
Improved logging and reporting
Hardened against third party uninstall with encrypted preference files
Links to more information on detected content from our website
New safety option that allows you to write protect sensitive system files such as the Hosts file

Scanning engine improvements
Extended Memory scanning
Now scans all modules loaded by a process
Uses our all new CSI (Code Sequence Identification) technology to identify new and unknown variants of known targets
Extended protection against DLL-injection, SE can unload process modules on the fly

Extended Registry scanning
Now scans registry branches of multiple user accounts
Performs additional smart checks to detect dynamically created references
Scanning speed noticeably faster
Extended Scanning for known and unknown/possible Browser-Hijackers

Extended Disk scanning
Now scans and lists alternate Data-streams on NTFS volumes
Now Ad-Aware supports scanning of Cabinet files, (including spanned archives)
Scanning speed increased
Improved Hosts-file scan
Now Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch Use much smaller reference file

Several User Interface improvements
Improved Graphical UI
Ad-Aware now supports custom graphical Skins
More user friendly Plug-in/Extension GUI (Plug-ins and Extensions now shown on separate screens)
New Scan Result view, Includes a scan summary and Detailed view
Ad-Aware now linked to the online TAC database

Multiple New Tweak options
Unloading of process modules during a scan
Obtaining command line of scanned processes
Ignoring spanned cab files
Scan registry for all users instead of current user only
Permanent archive caching
Always try to unload modules before deletion
Disable manual quarantine if auto quarantine is selected
Block pop-ups aggressively
Load Ad-Watch minimized
Hide Ad-Watch tray icon
Write protect system files after repair
Limit drive selection to fixed drives
Use gridlines in item lists
Logfile detail section condensed

Process-Watch
Improved Process-Watch scanning capabilities and scanning speed (Using the new CSI technology)
Several Process-Watch Interface improvements
Option to create a Hexdump of the process memory or dump the process memory to disk

Several logfile improvements
Includes support for separate removal logfiles
Allows adding a Reference summary/index to logfiles
Logfile contains overall more detailed information

Ad-Watch
Several GUI improvements
Ad-Watch now supports Cookie Blocking
Site-manager to edit the popup-blacklist included
Ad-Watch now uses the new CSI technology to detect new and unknown variants of known targets
New Ad-Watch configuration screen
New rules editor for pre-defined blocking exclusions
Support for hiding the Ad-Watch tray icon for unattended operation

downloads.com doesn't have it up yet. :( http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506 Heres a link to DL :)

There is already an upgraded version of adaware that you have to pay for. Otherwise the Ad-watch option doesn't work and instead asks you to register.

And now my computer is going crazy. While adaware was running avast picked up like twenty infected files. DOn't know if they are releated. It removed several key files. Now AOL and Mozzila won't run at all. And when I try to install AOL again my computer goes nuts and freezes.

MarineCorps said:
And now my computer is going crazy. While adaware was running avast picked up like twenty infected files. DOn't know if they are releated. It removed several key files. Now AOL and Mozzila won't run at all. And when I try to install AOL again my computer goes nuts and freezes.
:lol: AOL froze when I tried to uninstall it. That's why for the past year and a half I still have AOL 8.0 on my computer. I'm tempted just to delete the whole damn directory and get it over with, but I know that there are tons of places where AOL installs itself - the registery, other folders, etc. that I don't know about.

OK after almost an hour and a half I got AOL running again on this computer(Damn. SO close :()

Screenshots of SE

:wallbash:

@hbdragon88: Yeah. I did that with another computer. Took an hour to remove AOL completely from my computer. After that I gave up :rolleyes:

I did install and run it last night but it didn't find any new spyware except for the usual cookies so I will probably not bother updating the computer downstairs...

I got about 367 files. :hmm: I wonder if most of those were IE's history archives.

Damn. This is not good. iWon is a major pain in the ass. It forces AOL to require it i order for AOL to work. :mad: SO I can not remove it. :mad:

EDIT: Then again it might not be such an evil thing after all.:hmm:

I had a ton of stuff from iWon, my guess is that it's only picked up by SE, since spybot never found it either. Of course I'm not running aol so i got rid of it :)

The bad news is that it looks like I might not get a free upgrade for the adaware 6 plus I paid for. Sent an e-mail to support a while ago, waiting on answer.

TAC - iWon

TAC Level: 5

Removal:

Integration: 0

Distribution:

Behavior: 3

Auto-updates without user permission and/or knowledge
Opens unsolicited popups

Privacy: 2

Connects to a remote system with or without the user's awareness to transmit usage statistics and/or personally identifiable information

Well removal and Integration are clearly wrong SINCE I CAN'T REMOVE IT I'm writing them an e mail about this.

I've not checked out this new version, but I have a couple of tips for using Adaware:

1)Clear out your cookies and temporary internet files before running it. Adaware picks up most cookies as Data Miners.

2)If you are using Spybot, purge the recovery folder. Adaware will identify anything in that folder as a problem.

3)Make sure you have it configured properly. Click "Scan Now" then "Customize". Make sure all the Scan Settings you can choose are checked. Then click Tweak>Scanning Engine and make sure "Unload recognized processes during scanning" is checked. Next click Cleaning Engine and check "Automatically unregister objects prior to deletion."

4)After Adaware is finished running, delete anything that is in the Quarantine folder.

Checked out Adaware SE at work today....Looks good so far, but can't say we've been able to try it out on a machine that really needs a cleaning. I like the extended scanning and unload features.

It replaces Adaware 6 and the personal version is still free.

Check out the forums at Lavasoft.com, net-integration.com and spywareinfo.com for more informed commentary.

GOOD LORD MAN! :aargh:

You gots a heckuva mess there...

And its 180Solutions and CoolWebSearch that are gonna cause problems.

hehe you think thats bad. And actually IBIS Toolbar is annoying me a lot. Can't seem to get it off the computer. :rolleyes:

That Lycos sidesearch came from a screen saver dl from screensavers.com. Whenever you install one of their screensavers they install Lycos side search.

Damn. I seem to be gettin a lot of SPIM now a days.

Oh brother....screensavers.com...IBIS...coolwebsearch....

This is a job for HiJackThis. If you don't have it get it at majorgeeks.com or snapfiles.com.

Run updated Spybot and purge the Recovery folder. Restart.

Run AdAware, purge the Quarantine folder, delete any backup files and restart.

Run HiJackThis and save the log. Go to spywareinfo.com, TomCoyote.com, spywarewarrior.com, Lavasoft or net-integration and post it in one of the forums.

I'd take a crack at it, but I don't know when I will be back on again. Besides, the folks at those forums will give you top-notch responses.

MarineCorps:

I think I recall that you run XP...make sure you disable System Restore before you start this process.

Also, either check your Task Manager and kill any processes that look suspicious.

Another alternative is to run Spybot and AdAware in Safe Mode.

Top Bottom