1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ADDON: Extra Civ pack for RoM 2.0

Discussion in 'RoM Modmods' started by zappara, May 1, 2008.

1. jm_dracolich

jm_dracolich Chieftain

Hmmm well you have to extract the file to the mods folder, not the Rise of Mankind folder. The files from the download are meant to replace the current ones. Don't put them in the Rise of Mankind folder.

2. rabber

rabber Chieftain

OK - I misunderstood your system. However, I believe your limit is now the 2GB limit that all applications have in a standard 32-bit XP or Vista installation. You need to increase that limit to 3GB and I think that should solve your problems.

I really envy your graphics card memory limit. I am playing with a 2 year old notebook computer and, although it was one of the best at the time, it only had 256MB of graphics memory. The newest version is using an NVIDIA 9600M GT with 512MB. I would love to get that, but I cannot aford a new computer yet.:sad:

3. mva5580

mva5580 Warlord

I understand, and in no way am I trying to criticize the mod, or anything like that AT ALL. This thing is amazing and I cannot possibly overstate the amount of credit he deserves for what's been done here. I'm floored when I play it, and I mean that.

I guess I just don't understand why the add-on pack is causing crashes/instability, as I re-installed the mod w/o that pack, and *seems* to be fine now. Played for a while last night with 0 crashes. I'm just trying to get a grasp on why that extra pack is causing the game to be unstable considering that you really don't "load" any of those resources into memory beyond what you see on the civ select screen. I would have to think there is a way around that, don't you think? And also if this is the case, it would seem to me that NO ONE with a 32 bit Operating System could use the add-on pack. And I can't imagine it's been created with that in mind.

Again. No criticism, not trying to beat anyone up here, I'm just curious. That's all.

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Zappara addressed an issue with the ADD-ON PACK (MegaPack). He has made a newer patch for the addon which also includes some tweaks/fixes for regular 2.51.

2.52 updates 2.5 and 2.51. Found in the Top stickied thread, RoM latest version.

JosEPh

5. rabber

rabber Chieftain

I believe that if you do not put in the fix for 32-bit operating systems, then you cannot use the modpack. As to why this is true.... not sure. I think it is just that all of the extra civs add to the memory usage. When you combine this with larger maps, higher graphics settings, etc. it just won't work. I would strongly recommend that you try the /3GB fix to see if that helps stop your problems. It did not work for me, but then I only have 3GB RAM anyway.

The fix that was mentioned does fix errors, but I think Zappara added some additional civs (or at least new leaders) so this would only make the problem worse, not better.

Please do try the /3GB fix and let me know how it goes. Eventually I will get a new computer and I want to know if I should go with a 64-bit operating system or not. Currently I think it would be more trouble than its worth, but your results would help sway my decision.

6. mva5580

mva5580 Warlord

No offense, but I'm not going to try that because I don't have problems with ANY other game/program on my machine, and I'm not going to mess with something just to get an add-on pack of a mod to work. It's not worth the hassle nor the potential other issues that it could cause with things that already work perfectly.

If I can play GTA IV at 1920 x 1080 resolution on high settings, I should be able to play a Civilization IV mod w/o having to mess with things like that. I'll just live w/o the add-on pack unless a fix is released.

7. Ogaburan

Ogaburan Warlord

Try deleting some of the Civ's, seems to work for me.

8. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

You can't really compare Civ 4 to GTA 4 because these games handle game resources totally different ways - I'd say Civ 4 requires more power just because it has to use python engine, xml file system and graphics engine + very complex AI players while GTA just requires you to have powerful cpu + graphics card ;)

9. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

What is the Apache UU and UB?

10. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

I don't think it has any as the original modder for that particular modular civ hadn't added UU or UB for it... I've just converted the module to work with RoM settings.

11. 0100010

0100010 Prince

Buried further back in this thread are updates I had made to several of the modulular civs which had fixed some civ's UU and UB buildings relative to the RoM default they replaced, and had done things such as adding UU and UB for the Apache and other civs that were missing them. You'd have to find them and patch them into the current version though.

12. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

Got it, thanks! :goodjob:

Edit: I downloaded your attachment, but where's the actual art files for these? All I got was xmls.

13. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

RoM and extra civ addon pack art files are all in the pak files ;)

14. OwieB2003

OwieB2003 Warlord

Reasonably sure I've asked this before, but google isn't being nice and showing me the answer: Has anybody experienced a "no interface" error playing as Ostenaco of the Cherokee? Running Vista, running Civ4 as an administrator, would really rather like an interface to go with my free Combat I to all melee and gunpowder units, and granary that adds research.

Edit: Something that might be related to why I don't have an interface with Ostenaco is that a non-functional Tech Advisor screen will pop up at game start/load, though I can click on the exit label in the bottom right. Near as I can tell with Ostenaco the only thing that doesn't work is the interface. Workers, atl-atls, work boats all seem to function right.

15. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Hmm, seems like v1.4 addon patch has gone missing from filefront and I hadn't got any notification why that had happened - so I'm uploading the addon patch again and updating the file links...

16. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Download location moved to Atomic Gamer due to the fact that Filefront is getting closed. Now this addon is available only as v2.53 Megapack, which means it has RoM 2.53 + Extra Civ Addon pack 1.4 preinstalled. The pack is in 7z file format just because that was the only format that allowed me to squeeze the download size under the Atomic Gamer's 500MB file size limit (I hope it works). Can be unpacked with 7-Zip and Winrar programs.

For Rise of Mankind 2.6 the extra civ addon pack will get patch at later time...

17. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

So far about 30% of v2.62 megapack has been made: all the unit stats have been checked and fixed to new RoM 2.6 settings. What's left to do is read all leader pedias and changed traits if necessary to new traits in v2.6 and check all Unique Buildings that their stats match RoM 2.6 counterparts. All this should be done in couple days... The megapack actually already works, I just want to make sure all values are tweaked/checked ;)

18. waywardclam

waywardclam Chieftain

The populace proclaims, "We Love The Emperor Day"! :)

19. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Started uploading Megapack v2.62 - should be available in 2hours. The file is 660Megs.

20. cr0ws

cr0ws Prince

Thank you! Am counting the nano-seconds!:goodjob: