Admirable Administrative Addresses

amadeus

Serenity now
U.S. Prez lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

UK PM lives at 10 Downing St.

The Russian premier lives in the Kremlin. I don’t know what the address is.

South Korea’s White House is the Blue House. Again, no idea about the address.

But the rest, do you know their names or addresses? Japan’s is called the kantei, which is just Japanese for “official residence.” I would guess it is in Tokyo!

The official address of the Prime Minister of Canada is 24 Sussex Drive, in Ottawa. However, 24 Sussex is in such poor condition that the only sane thing to do would be to knock it down and rebuild from scratch. Justin Trudeau hasn't lived there since his father, Pierre, was PM. He lives in Rideau Cottage, on the grounds of the Governor-General's official residence (Rideau Hall).

German Bundespräsident resides at Bellevue Palace in Spreeweg 1 Berlin.
schloss-bellevue-drohne.jpg

During the Bonn days he stayed at the villa Hammerschmidt.
villa-hammerschmidt-außenansicht.jpg

The German chancellor is living a bit more modern in the Bundeskanzleramt
bundeskanzleramt-berlin-blick-vom-platz-der-1230320645.jpg

The President of Ireland lives in Áras an Uachtaráin (Residence of the President) formerly the Viceregal Lodge in the Phoenix Park. I don't think it has a number or street name.
The Taoiseach/prime minister doesn't have an official residence.

A Taoiseach many years ago was known for running his government from the kitchen table in his home in a suburb of Dublin.

The Australian prime minister primary residence in Canberra is a rather modest house by world leader standards, and not super fancy even by Australian middle class standards. It's called the Lodge and it looks like this.

1703922459683.jpeg

The address is 5 Adelaide Avenue, which I don't think has any particular naming significance.

The secondary residence is called Kirribilli House in Sydney and it's similarly modest

1703922602895.jpeg

But it is on the Harbour, with a large garden, and a great view of the Opera House. But otherwise mixed in a very expensive but otherwise normal residential neighbourhood. The address is 109 Kirribilli Avenue. Again no particular naming significance as far as I can tell.

1703922746864.png

The Governor-General (King's representative and de facto ceremonial head of state) gets a much grander residence at Dunrossil Drive, Yarralumla (no street number). So does the Governors of each of the Australian states, usually a 19th century mansion.

1703922858712.jpeg

For example the Governor of Victoria gets to live here, while the Premier of Victoria who actually has power gets no official residence.

1703923291644.jpeg

Addresses? I only know 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and 10 Downing Street. I assume "The Kremlin" would be adequate for the USSR, and "The North Pole" adequate for Santa Claus.

I had heard that Trudeau's official residence has been dilapidated for quite some time, and that he isn't living there. It's okay, though, Canada. The White House was also in quite a bad situation in the late 1800s, due to being built in a swamp. They eventually addressed those problems, and I'm sure you'll figure out how to fix or rebuild 24 Sussex Drive as well.

I don't know many other president/premier/etc. residence names, though I know a few legislative ones. I know, and have been to the roof of, the Reichstag, home of the Bundestag, Germany's legislature. And of course the Palace of Westminster is famous, although I've only seen it from the outside.

But, to be honest, most of my correspondence is not addressed to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, or 10 Downing Street. My knowledge of those addresses is more trivia than practical.

I'll end by noting that the Soviet author of the book I just finished reading, who visited the White House in 1942, described it as like the estate of a country gentleman - one of reliable, but not excessive, income, and with very well-maintained gardens. Fifty years earlier, I doubt the description would have been so favorable. But I still found it interesting, primarily in that it was not described as excessively bourgeois, or opulent. Nice, but not lording it over the exploited classes, as, say, Versailles would be.

Which, come to think of it, that's another one where I assume I could simply address a letter to, "Louis XVI, Versailles, France", and the letter carrier would know where I meant.

24 Sussex is now asbestos and rodent-free — and nobody knows what to do with it​

House requires almost $37 million in necessary repairs and renovations, capital commission says

The prime minister's official residence has been stripped of asbestos, mould, lead and rodents, according to the National Capital Commission.

But with the home still standing empty after eight years without a tenant, and with no clear plan for its future, there's no guarantee the mice won't move back.

"There's a reason that there are rats running through the place. If you left your place vacant … you'd have rats running through it too," said former heritage minister Sheila Copps in an interview with CBC Radio's The House.

The home at 24 Sussex Drive is in a sorry state, thanks to successive political leaders being unwilling to be seen spending money to refit the 19th century home. The work being done now is maintenance that "must be addressed regardless of any decision taken by the government on the future of the prime minister's residence," the NCC said in a media statement.

Crews at 24 Sussex Drive have removed all the asbestos, lead and mould from the crumbling house.

Valérie Dufour, a spokesperson for the NCC, said crews have also stripped out the old electrical wiring and plumbing, and heat pumps are being installed to keep it from freezing while a decision is made about its future.

The rodents are also gone. And although previous reports said they were rats, they were mostly mice.

The NCC estimates the residence needs almost $37 million in repairs and renovations.

The home was built in 1868 by Joseph Currier in the Gothic Revival style. In 1902, it was sold to fellow lumber baron W.C. Edwards and several new features were added, including a turreted three-story tower, gingerbread fascia and a porte cochère. Those "chateauesque" features were later removed when the home was expropriated in the 1940s and renovated for use as the prime minister's residence.

But it was the later renovations that created the first political firestorm.

"This goes back to Pierre Trudeau [and] the swimming pool of 40 or 50 years ago," said Michael Wernick, who was the clerk of the Privy Council from 2016 to 2019 and is now the Jarislowsky Chair in public sector management at the University of Ottawa.

In 1975, when Pierre Trudeau was prime minister, anonymous private donors paid for the construction of a pool and sauna at 24 Sussex — a renovation that tends to be brought up whenever anyone suggests spending money on the building.

"Anytime there's been any money spent on any of the official residences, you get the sort of performance theater from whoever is in opposition of the day, from media, from some of the ... lobby groups," said Wernick. "There's no political upside for going ahead with either a renovation or a new building. There's only pain to be had."

Wernick said the current government considered renovations early on, but did not act.

"In 2016, we came very close to a cabinet decision on renovation of 24 Sussex," he said. "The matter was put to cabinet and cabinet decided not to proceed."

Andrew MacDougall, former director of communications to Stephen Harper, said there's a small window when a sitting prime minister can get away with renovating their home.

"Obviously, early in a mandate — when you're fresh off a win and people are feeling good — is the best time to do it," he said.

MacDougall said Trudeau squandered the chance to renovate the home when he took office and Harper never could because he was elected with a minority in 2006. In 2011, when the Conservatives won a majority, the world was coming off the global financial crisis.

"That's not the kind of time you want to go and spend money on things like renovating the house," MacDougall said.

Former minister says 24 Sussex deserves better​

Sheila Copps, a former Liberal deputy prime minister, said she's approached former prime ministers, including Jean Chrétien, Harper and Brian Mulroney, to see if they might lend their support to a cross-partisan push to end the stalemate and restore 24 Sussex.

Copps, who now lobbies on behalf of the heritage group Historic Ottawa Development Inc., said she approached the late former NDP leader Ed Broadbent.

"He stepped up immediately and said yes, this should be done. This is an important element of Canadian history and shouldn't be torn down or repurposed for something else like, you know, sending out last week's garbage or something," Copps said.

In a statement sent to CBC's The House, the office of Public Services and Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said "any decision for the future of 24 Sussex Drive will not be taken lightly." The statement said the government is still in discussions with stakeholders.

"Noting that there has not been any significant investment in over 60 years, this ambitious work is ongoing and will balance security needs with universal accessibility, historic preservation, and aspects of environmental sustainability," the minister's statement said.

The statement did not say when a decision would be made.

Heritage groups fear further deterioration if it doesn't happen soon. Others are convinced the politics is making a decision impossible.

"You don't get credit for not spending the money, but you do get blame if the residence falls apart under your watch," MacDougall said. "It just takes a leader with a bit of confidence to [say] we are a G7 country, we are an important country on the world stage. We don't keep things together with Bondo and hockey tape.

"At some point, it just becomes embarrassing."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/24-sussex-abatement-future-plan-1.7103058

Trudeau did the responsible thing by not moving in, to allow the place to be inspected and for them to get on with whatever they needed to do. Harper could have moved out after his majority "win" (he never once won an election without some form of cheating), but chose not to - he liked having 24 Sussex as his address, and had a goofy little "band" called the Van Cats (play on the French word for 24, which is vingt-quatre). If he moved out, his band name wouldn't have been such a cutesy play on words.

As for what to do with it, demolish the thing and build a new one that's up to current standards. It's not just the building and its infrastructure (electricals and plumbing) that's an issue. A PM's residence needs more security than that old building can accommodate. For that amount of money it would actually make more sense to do a new build.

The official residence of the King of Spain is the Royal Palace (C. de Bailén, s/n, Centro, 28071 Madrid) however with about 3,500 rooms (only surpassed by the Forbidden City in China, which supposedly has 9,999 rooms) it is so ridiculously huge it would be too impractical and expensive to live there:

So It is used only in special occasions and a small zone serves as museum at 15€ per visit.

In fact the Royal Family lives in the way more modest Palace of Zarzuela (Cam. de la Zarzuela, Fuencarral-El Pardo, 28048 Madrid)

The President lives in the Moncloa Palace:

Which is a building inside the Moncloa complex along a bunch of administrative buildings which conforms the Ministry of Presidency (Av. Puerta de Hierro, s/n, Moncloa - Aravaca, 28071 Madrid)

Last edited:
Top Bottom