Twitter finds 201 accounts tied to Russian agents who posted political ads on Facebook

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Strange that Russia would back Trump whom is aligned with alt-right (and fascism)

The sad thing is that US for profit media, education cuts and partisan politics, you have a large base of americans subjected to this for years. Then you have Russians (along with Trump) seeing this and stepping in to take advantage of this.

Iam wondering what the total amount Russia has spent for ads and troll farms total for Trump. The problem is probably the Delporables seeing these trolls, then believing and spreading the disinformation. Because this was found that this type of dis-information dosnt work on Democrats whom consume the Main Stream Media. That why Republicans voters were targeted, been conditioned for nearly eight years.

Twitter finds 201 accounts tied to Russian agents who posted political ads on Facebook

SAN FRANCISCO — Twitter said Thursday that it had shut down 201 accounts that were tied to the same Russian operatives who posted thousands of political ads on Facebook, but the effort frustrated lawmakers who said the problem is far broader than the company appeared to know.

The company said it also found three accounts from the news site RT — which Twitter linked to the Kremlin — that spent $274,100 in ads on its platform in 2016.

Despite the disclosures, Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.) questioned whether the company is doing enough to stop Russian operatives from using its platform to spread disinformation and division in U.S. society.

Warner said Twitter’s presentation to a closed-door meeting of Senate Intelligence Committee staffers Thursday morning was “deeply disappointing” and “inadequate on almost every level.” Twitter also made a presentation to House Intelligence Committee staffers in the afternoon.

The Washington Post reported this week that some of the 3,000 Facebook ads bought by Russian operatives promoted African American rights groups, including Black Lives Matter. Those ads were targeted at users in specific locations such as Ferguson, Mo., and Baltimore, two cities that have faced violent protests over police shootings of black men. Ads aimed at voters in other regions, meanwhile, suggested that the same groups posed a rising political threat.

Other ads featured Muslims supporting Democrat Hillary Clinton for president and were targeted at Facebook users who might fear Muslims.

The Twitter accounts, which were taken down over the past month, were associated with 470 accounts and pages that Facebook this month said came from the Internet Research Agency, a Russia-connected troll farm.

https://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-jr-secret-service

Last edited:
And how many ads have US backed interests bought on Russian Facebook (VKontakt?)?

This whole thing is like an electronic Cuban Missile Crisis. In that, America was exposed to that deterrence really meant, and we lost our collective minds. Here, we are exposed to what it means when you suspect foreign interests were trying to influence our elections and we lose our collective minds.

And how many ads have US backed interests bought on Russian Facebook (VKontakt?)?

US dose this officially via NGOs and provides funds for Aid programs in Russia, which are registered with Russia.
Russians been screaming about US / EU encroachment for years now, then again Russia likes to invade and annex its boarding countries, as boarding countries are scrambling to join NATO, the EU and the West since the collapse of the USSR.

Remember this is the US where one President was impeached for an extra martial affair and the next President never even testified under oath when 3000 Americans were killed. Its US style politics

Not a big news, both Russia and USA have been promoting freedom and democracy to each other for quite a while now.
If USA is able to do this officially, it only indicates lack of political censorship in Russia.

The American discussion about Russian influence online often seems to assume that places like e.g. Facebook & Twitter are American, not international. I mean, I suppose they are certainly American in important senses, but there's some in-built assumption that they should be regulating what foreigners do in terms of American law, when presumably there would not be the same openness to regulating what Americans do in terms of foreign law. That is, a lot of commentators seem to think that Facebook should police its ads so that foreigners are unable to purchase political ads aimed at Americans, because doing so is contrary to American electoral funding laws. But why is there an automatic assumption that American jurisdiction should extend so far as to require compliance by foreigners, posting from foreign locations, with American domestic law? If China insisted that Facebook regulate the speech of Americans posting from America, because Chinese law requires it, would that be supported? I actually think the answer might be 'yes', and that's a worrying sign.

. That is, a lot of commentators seem to think that Facebook should police its ads so that foreigners are unable to purchase political ads aimed at Americans, because doing so is contrary to American electoral funding laws. But why is there an automatic assumption that American jurisdiction should extend so far as to require compliance by foreigners, posting from foreign locations, with American domestic law? If China insisted that Facebook regulate the speech of Americans posting from America, because Chinese law requires it, would that be supported? I actually think the answer might be 'yes', and that's a worrying sign.

The US already screwed themselves with citizens united.
Now we have Russian government pretending to be US citizen pushing made up fake news.

As long as we dont end up with Russian style Journalist getting shot in the back of the head, or in China where journalist are disappeared, Iam ok with facebook idea to put a disclaimer on news orginating from Russia
Then again I doubt this will make much differance, the most damaging crap came from within the US as US Trolls pushed fake stories for ad revenue

If China insisted that Facebook regulate the speech of Americans posting from America, because Chinese law requires it, would that be supported?

It's far more likely (already happened) China would ban facebook and start their own version so then they can control those versions of facebook, with Chinese laws.
http://blog.tutorming.com/business/chinese-social-media-sites

Facebook and twitter are American companies (are they not?), so those companies should follow American laws. Can't prosecute the foreigner users, but can prosecute the companies (so the debate is how much the company can really do to control it).

Facebook and twitter are American companies (are they not?), so those companies should follow American laws. Can't prosecute the foreigner users, but can prosecute the companies (so the debate is how much the company can really do to control it).
I'm not sure if they're truly American. But if they are, and that the appropriate nexus, it's sheer luck that those companies would be amenable to your local law, and seems almost unfair to the rest of the world, which uses those platforms just as much as Americans. If the Russians similarly influenced the Australian election, clearly the Australian government could not just rely on Facebook and Twitter being local companies, so Australia would just have to grin and bear it, I guess. Unless there's a better international explanation or justification for action than 'a country may regulate an international utility which transcends borders if it happens to have it's corporate HQ in that country'.

My position isn't that Facebook and Twitter should be completely free to do as they please, in a completely anarchic international environment. I just think the American conversation is somewhat lacking in justifying the basis upon which the actions of foreigners should be regulated by any particular country. The international element simply doesn't seem to come into the discussion.

Think about all the radio stations the US has broadcast over the decades to influence behavior in foreign countries. Some might consider them propaganda. US Radio Marti has been used to broadcast anti CUBA messages to their country for a long time. As far as I'm concerned we're just getting a dose of what we've done for decades. While most might consider it a negative, to be totally outraged by russia doing something similar is funny to me.

IF we're that stupid to believe all this stuff we probably deserve it. I do like we're exposing it, so people aren't fooled but the outrage is just silly. Hollywood has been spreading AMERICA forever.

That is, a lot of commentators seem to think that Facebook should police its ads so that foreigners are unable to purchase political ads aimed at Americans, because doing so is contrary to American electoral funding laws. But why is there an automatic assumption that American jurisdiction should extend so far as to require compliance by foreigners, posting from foreign locations, with American domestic law?
Technically, American jurisdiction extends to regulate what kind of information is received by Americans. It doesn't necessarily need to block foreigners from purchasing political ads aimed at anybody, just warn them that some kind of ads cannot be received by American citizens according to US electoral laws.

My position isn't that Facebook and Twitter should be completely free to do as they please, in a completely anarchic international environment. I just think the American conversation is somewhat lacking in justifying the basis upon which the actions of foreigners should be regulated by any particular country. The international element simply doesn't seem to come into the discussion.

We don't need to justify anything in this framework though, all we have to do is say "if you want to do business in the US, you have to follow these rules." If the Australian government lacks the cojones to say something similar to these companies, it's not the US's fault.

Strange that Russia would back Trump whom is aligned with alt-right (and fascism)

Strange? How?

The American discussion about Russian influence online often seems to assume that places like e.g. Facebook & Twitter are American, not international. I mean, I suppose they are certainly American in important senses, but there's some in-built assumption that they should be regulating what foreigners do in terms of American law, when presumably there would not be the same openness to regulating what Americans do in terms of foreign law. That is, a lot of commentators seem to think that Facebook should police its ads so that foreigners are unable to purchase political ads aimed at Americans, because doing so is contrary to American electoral funding laws. But why is there an automatic assumption that American jurisdiction should extend so far as to require compliance by foreigners, posting from foreign locations, with American domestic law? If China insisted that Facebook regulate the speech of Americans posting from America, because Chinese law requires it, would that be supported? I actually think the answer might be 'yes', and that's a worrying sign.

I would assume it's because Facebook's servers reside in the U.S. Plus Americans think they own the internet.

I would assume it's because Facebook's servers reside in the U.S. Plus Americans think they own the internet.
We did own the internet, but like a wayward child, it had a mind of its own and escaped into the wild.

Facebook and Twitter are both US companies. They have an international presence and can be sued in the courts of those nations. See googles various problems around the world. Facebook and Twitter need to go the way of ***** and become irrelevant to daily life.

I am afraid when the comunication gets this bad it just means someone is keen on war:

Iam wondering what the total amount Russia has spent for ads and troll farms total for Trump

If they spent anything, I'm betting it is less that the constellation of entities controlled by the state department is spending on propaganda in Russia. Pardon me, "Aid programs"... Not to mention what the, how many are they, 14 intelligence agencies?, are spending also.

Funny to see politicians in the US play the offended virgins in this.

One good thing abort propaganda is that it loses most of its effect quickly, people start filtering it. One bad thing is that for the duration of that effect it can drive people do do very destructive things. Ans a wild card is that it can be used bot domestically and abroad, so that intelligence agencies and "NGO" often end up being detrimental to the country that finances them (but never to the people pocketing their budgets).

So what are the evidences against aid programs?

USAID (which channels money to hundreds of other organizations) has done everything from training torturers in South America to bribing people to overthrow governments around the middle east. But don't take my word for it, search for yourself. There are plenty of stories.

Furthermore, this is absolutely normal. States always tie their "aid" to political objectives, some just do it more than others. Even "neutral Sweden" did it. What I cannot stand is people and whole institutions that do this and then play saints.

Think about all the radio stations the US has broadcast over the decades to influence behavior in foreign countries. Some might consider them propaganda. US Radio Marti has been used to broadcast anti CUBA messages to their country for a long time. As far as I'm concerned we're just getting a dose of what we've done for decades. While most might consider it a negative, to be totally outraged by russia doing something similar is funny to me.

IF we're that stupid to believe all this stuff we probably deserve it. I do like we're exposing it, so people aren't fooled but the outrage is just silly. Hollywood has been spreading AMERICA forever.

Yea, definitely a lot of propaganda, and of course if that didn't work, the CIA would just help overthrow the government, because it doesn't matter if they're overthrowing a democratically elected government and replacing it with dictators with freedom to slaughter and torture their own citzenery-- but if they're not commies, it's alright! Maybe that's why we don't go too harshly on fascists.

And yea, I definitely agree if people are falling for that kind of trolling, then well, who are the stupid ones?

USAID (which channels money to hundreds of other organizations) has done everything from training torturers in South America to bribing people to overthrow governments around the middle east. But don't take my word for it, search for yourself. There are plenty of stories. Furthermore, this is absolutely normal. States always tie their "aid" to political objectives, some just do it more than others. Even "neutral Sweden" did it. What I cannot stand is people and whole institutions that do this and then play saints.

Dont forget about the "freedom fighters" in Afghanistan, like Bin Laden. I dont remember why the US would need to send aid though, something about soviet, and Ivan.
Oh well Ivan is Ivan, I have a feeling that this is how Russian society operates, like East Germany deeply damaged by Soviet for generations. Most of the USaid is for funding Environmental NGO and anti-corruption NGOs, it seems the Crimea issue made them targets. Because of this Russia has shutdown USAid

Russia says U.S. aid mission sought to sway elections
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) until October 1 to cease operations in Russia. Memorial’s Orlov said Russian NGOs need all the help they can get to combat the country’s woes.
“I feel like I am trying to spoon up an ocean. While we help one, two or three people, 30 others are being tortured, kidnapped, killed,” he said. “Sometimes I lose heart, but then I think, yes, we could stop everything, but there would be no better present to those trying to tear our head off.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...-of-violating-russian-media-law-idUSKCN1C40V2

Top Bottom