AG9 - OCC Conquest (Monarch)

Aggie

Deity
OCC on conquest. We won it at regent level, now we are going to try the same at monarch :) We naturally don't HAVE to be at war constantly. The end result however should be a conquest victory for us.

With OCC I mean: at the end of the turn we may not have more than one city. During the turn we may have as many as we want. So we are allowed to demand cities for peace and then abandon them.

We will play a small pangaea map, but I'm not sure of the tribe yet. We won the regent game with the Zulu. The AI never came close to the Middle Ages. I like the Zulu, the Iroquois, the Persians, the Celts, the Chinese. Other suggestions are welcome :)

GAME RULES
AI Aggression: normal
Opponents: 5 random AI's.
Rules: Standard, all standard single player victories enabled
Barbarians: Roaming
Level: Monarch
C3C 1.22

BANNED TACTICS
These are the exploits that I want to avoid in the game:

"Phony Peace Treaty": Making Peace Treaties without having the intention to stay at peace, just to get cheap techs or money.

"Palace Jump"; Jumping the palace by disbanding the capital. Rushing a palace or building it brick by brick is OK.

"RoP Rape": Using Right of Passage to move whole armies into attack position.

"Throwaway Cities": It is possible to go everywhere by settling, moving a setter one tile further in, abandoning the old city, founding a new one, etc...etc... A city shouldn't be abandoned in the same turn as it is settled.

"Resource Piracy": Sitting on resources or deny a civ access to a tile inside the borders of the rival while at peace.

"Dogpiling": Adding multiple workers to cities to increase population beyond the food supply.

"Seed Corn": It is not allowed to buy the LAST TWO workers from the AI before 1000 BC.

"Negative cash research": The penalty of negative cash is only one unit. So there are cases where this can be worthwile. Science spending must be lowered when the cash would go below zero.

Things that I didn't name but are in the spirit of what I mention above I would like to have discussed.

PLAYERS
4 players are already in the roster, 1 more is welcome. I'd say that you should be comfortable to play emperor level.

ROSTER
Aggie
6thgentexan
Microbe
Grimjack
Ankka
Stuck as a Mac

Roster is full

24hrs to post a "got it" notice, and up to 48hrs after that to finish and post your turns.

BTW, what Civ version is this? I can play Vanilla 1.29f, PTW 1.27f and C3C 1.22...

On the civ, all are fine for me...

Good thing you leave a slim opportunity for army :)

All we need to do is capture three cities on the same turn we have a spare leader :)

How easy was that in your last game ?

grimjack

Good point... but doesn't an army need 3 cities? So we can almost for sure have only one...

Is it so, that we need to have 6 cities to build a second army then?

Ok... my mind is like cheese: full of holes. Thanks for the info...

I think some discussion is needed. I've no experience in OCC conquest. Questions:

1. When do we expect to win? When should be our first war? Do we expect to go for offense pretty soon? This is the "what is the goal" question.
2. What should be our research path and strategy? This is "how to achieve the goal" question.

I think #2 depends mainly on who we are and whatour UU is.

If we are Persia, Iron Working is a must ASAP.

If we are Iroquois, then we should go for HBR.

I'm not very experienced, though...

Going for Philosophy would propably be useless on Monarch & OCC...

On microbe's question 1: We can go to war very soon. The first civ could be attacked with horsesmw's or swords/immortals

We won the regent game with all the AI unaware of Philosophy!!! This is monarch, but still I say we chould be able finish it with knights.

Question 2: I'd go for a few warriors, workers, granary, barracks and then horses or swords. I prefer fast units by the way.

Philo gambit is VERY possible, especially when we start with Alphabet.

CIV: Now it's time to pick one. I vote for Arabs. ;) Expansionist trait might be the most important one if we aim for early win, and its UU is also very strong. Religious gives cheap temple and we can revolt in 2 turns. The only possible draw back is that the UU is a little late, but if we think we can't finish by then, it's not a problem and we can avoid a despo GA.

Expansionist trait is indeed good, but religious seems less powerful. I tend to like an early fast UU. Mounted Warrior or Gaelic Swordsman. The 3 movement of the ansar warrior sounds very good though.

We are with 4 atm. I will start with 4 players, but it would be nice to have 5 or 6.

I like the Celts and their swordman but the ag/rel combo is not the best for us. I have won with the Persian's Immortals. I think the Mounted Warrior is too weak.

I vote for the China: Military for better chance of promotions, early MA UU if needed, Industrial to speed roads to the front.

China indeed sounds good as well. I personally disagree about the weakness of the Mounted Warrior.

The three preferred civs appear to be Iroquois (me), Arabs (microbe), China (6thGenTexan). I don't know if Grimjack and Ankka have other preferred civs, but otherwise I'd suggest to choose between those three.

My preference:
1. Iroquois (I like the MW, and we have a real shot at Philosophy - we start with Alphabet)
2. Arabs (Ansar warriors are cheaper than Riders and also have three movement, expansionist is great)
3. China (Riders are great, militaristic and industrious are nice traits)

Aggie, if I were you I wouldn't pick Iros. You are playing it in the Sid game, aren't you? ;)

Another reason for me to choose Arabs is that I don't see it often in SGs. On the other hand in most games I play they do seem to be weak, but we are playing an OCC anyway.

Top Bottom