1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AG9 - OCC Conquest (Monarch)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Aggie, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I have no real preference on the civ...

Iroquois is ok, so is Arabia. Both have their strengths and weaknesses... Iroquois have a better timed UU, though, I'd say.

2. Grimjack

Grimjack Bounty Hunter

Any of the three movement civs would be fine by me. I think we might want the later UU, since it is not until early Medieval when we can afford to have lots of units.
    ( Of course, in my solo games I have been researching like mad, and usually you can mage to stay ahead right until Medieval ages. )

As to Arabs and China, I would love either of those civs. Perhaps China has an edge, as we could use the Militaristically genereated leaders to rush infra, while building military.

Grimjack

3. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

China and Arabia got more 'votes' than the Iroquois. It's close. I set this game up with Arabia, because they indeed are rarely choosen :)

I will play soon.

4. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Cool, hope we get horses and iron though.

5. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Our start has a river, a wheat, bonus grassland and hills. To our east I see the coast. We are on the NE of the continent. I move the worker on the wheat. And the scout pops a hut in the south. We get Bronze Working.We also see silks now, which will be in the expanded borders of our city. I found Mecca on the spot, starting with a scout.

I start Mystisicm at 100% science (in 36).

Turn 1 (3950 BC) Scout spots gems and another goody hut. Worker start irrigation.

Turn 2 (3900 BC) Scout pops Masonry.

Turn 3-5 (3850-3750 BC) :sleep:

Turn 6 (3700 BC) Mecca is size 2. Scout sees green borders.

Turn 7 (3650 BC) Our neighbours are the Greeks :( They have Alphabet over us. We have three other techs.

Turn 8 (3600 BC) Mecca: scout->scout. The last one on this small island.The secodn scout goes south.

Turn 9 (3550 BC) Our scout in the west finds a new goody hut. Athens has two cows and two furs in the expanded borders!

Turn 10 (3500 BC) Popped hut gives us 25 gold.

Turn 11 (3450 BC) Our southern scout sees lightblue borders. Mecca to size 3, lux to 10%.

Turn 12 (3400 BC) Mecca: scout->spear.

Turn 13 (3350 BC) Our neighbour to the south is Sumeria :( (Two civs with ancient UU). They lack Masonry and CB. Greece lacks Pottery added to that.

Turn 14, 15 (3300, 3250 BC) :sleep:

Turn 16 (3200 BC) Our third scout finds ivory relatively close to us. 4 of them grouped. Probably the only sources??Mecca is size 4. Lux to 30%.

Turn 17 (3150 BC) Mecca: spear->granary. Lux back to 10% with the spear as MP. The 1st scout sees purple borders.

Turn 18 (3100 BC) We meet India. They lack Masonry and Pottery, but have Warrior Code and Alphabet. Since they are close to Greece, I trade them Masonry for Warrior Code and 10 gold. I now give Greece Masonry for Alphabet and 10 gold.

Turn 19 (3050 BC) :sleep:

Turn 20 (3000 BC) Greece has the Wheel. We'd like to know where the horses are...

Our city:

3000 BC save

6. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

ROSTER:
    Aggie
    6thgentexan--->up
    Microbe------->on deck
    Grimjack
    Ankka
    1 open spot

I played 20 turns instead of the usual 25. I suggest 15 turns per player as from now :)

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Wow, I see lots of ivory. :eek: We need to make sure the AI doesn't get it.

8. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

::pokes head in::
    Yes, I'm still out, but could I join up here on the terms for 5 and 6? If you'd perfer someone who could actually play this week, I'd understand. But I would like to join

SaaM

9. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Nice start, giood amount of BG's and other bonuses... but the nearest lux is too far from borders, we need a colony...

10. ControlFreak

ControlFreak Not An Addict, Really

(I'm becoming quite the follower of your OCC SGs Aggie.)

Question, if it's conquest and you're on an island, how do you attack the other continents without a coastal city?

11. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

@Stuck, you are welcome. But please note that this will be 80% warfare...

@CF: I didn't think of that :o I really hope that we don't have a civ on an island somewhere! I guess we then have to restart :p

12. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

We could of course capture a coastal city and use it for the assault to the other continent... but that would be quite a manouver...:crazyeye:

13. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

I be t it'll be so that all but one of the civs are on our continent...;)

14. ControlFreak

My thoughts were to bag the granary if you were thinking of moving the capital to be coastal. It could build some exploring units right now, pick a good next cite and then settler/disband. Meanwhile, you're still going.

Or, build units, capture a coastal city and disband capitol. Have to do that quick though so as not to be far behind.

EDIT: might as well wait for horses/iron to showup so you can better chose.

EDIT 2: Hehehe...Once you're done with this continent, demand city for peace from other continent, put all army in capital and disband, teleporting them to their next contient.:lol::rotfl:

15. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

That second edit could work... we'd just need something to scare the AI there out of their cities to get one for peace. :p

16. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

Good ideas CF! I made a mistake and should have gone for the coast (3 extra turns isn't that bad). But this is a pangaea map and in theory the AI could be on one landmass...

EDIT: I think it's clever to swap from granary to units or barracks...

17. ControlFreak

Didn't know that. It may not matter (not having coast).

18. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

We haven't found 2 of the AI's so there's still a chance... it's not very unusual to have a pangaea map with one or two of the civs isolated on a small island...

19. Aggie

Aggie Chieftain

True. But we have three scouts able to found this out soon.

20. Nad

Nad Known Troublemaker

/Sidetrack

Hey Control Freak, good to see you about!

However, I don't think the second edit would work: abandoning a city does not cause the units to teleport...they just sit there in the ruins as the city is abandoned. Teleportation occurs if you gift a city, then they teleport to your capital, but, of course, you cannot gift your capital.

So, for this (hypothetical) scenario to work, you need to have your capital, another (small/no culture) city on the same continent, and a larger city on the continent you wish to teleport to.

You put all your units (except a token force that can raze one city, of which more later) in the small city on the same continent as your capital. You then abandon your capital, and the palace jumps to the other continent. You then gift the city with your units in away to another civ, and presto, your units teleport!

You can then take the fight to the other continent, while the token force we left earlier can raze the one city you gifted to another AI on the original continent.

Of course, this falls foul of a number of exploits and most likely will not occur, but this would be a complicated, roundabout method to achieve what ControlFreak was alluding to.

/End of Sidetrack :p. Hope you enjoyed that bit of nonsense.